Considering moving to Maryland, trying to get the lay of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boba

Oct 20, 2023
    NoVA
    Hello all. I've lived in the DMV for the past 30 years, Mostly NoVA, but for a number of reasons, I'm considering a move to Maryland (Frederick area). I've tried to compile a list of questions and concerns that I would like to get some clarification on to help me in my decision. Apologies in advance, I'm sure all of these questions are answered in various different threads on the board, but the lack of a single resource or FAQ has left me wanting. I'm just trying to get a solid handle on what kind of hurdles I would be facing should I decide to move to MD. Here goes:

1. AR-15 ban: Am I able to move to the state with firearms/lowers that I purchased in a different state after the MD ban date? Am I able to possess but not purchase?

2. AR-9/PCC: Am I able to purchase and own these firearms so long as the lower will not allow a .223/5.56 round (Something manufactured specifically for 9mm rounds)?
    1. If so, are there any restrictions on this type of weapon?
      1. Collapsable stock so long as the total length is sufficient
      2. Foregrips
      3. Flash hiders/muzzle breaks
      4. Barrel weight
      5. Anything else I am missing

3. AR-10: Am I able to purchase and own these firearms so long as the lower will not allow a .223/5.56 round (Something manufactured specifically for .308 rounds)?
    1. If so, are there any restrictions on this type of weapon?
      1. Collapsable stock so long as the total length is sufficient
      2. Foregrips
      3. Flash hiders/muzzle breaks
      4. Barrel weight
      5. Anything else I am missing

4. Magazine capacity: Limit? Ownership of higher capacity magazines legality but unable to purchase in state?

5. Concealed carry (Firearm): Readily available and granted?

6. Open Carry?

7. Suppressors?

8. SBR?

9. Castle doctrine inside of home?

Are there more things I should take into consideration?

Thanks!

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    dont do it. Frederick is rapidly turning into Montgomery county with the droves of people from there moving here, driving up home prices, and bringing leftist policies with them. Find someplace better.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I was talking with my 86 year old mother yesterday and she asked me why I moved to Maryland some 34 years ago. I didn't have a good answer other than it would make my future wife's commute easier.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    1) Cant possess uppers in caliber .223/5.56 unless HBAR or affixed to a pre-ban lower. No HBAR restriction on other calibers. No restrictions on lowers. If you buy a lower in MD, it gets registered with state police and 7 day waiting period applies, just like a handgun.

2) AR9 carbine is fine, 9mm carbine with a multi-caliber lower (which takes .223/5.56) is fine, too. Pistols, however have to be on an approved list.

3) AR10 is fine. I seem to recall there is 1 specific one on the banned list. Restriction on this or any semi-auto center fire rifle is that it not be on the banned list, and not have 2 evil features. Flash hider is one, so is foldable stock or a grenade launcher.

4) 10 rounds mag purchase limit in MD; no possession limit.

5) Yes, it's nation wide now that they have to give you a permit. Here you gotta get training first (unless retired military or LEO) and list some references.

6) Not an expert - others will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think you need your CCW to open carry a handgun. Open carry of long guns I think you need to be aware of some Fish and Game restrictions, too.

7) OK.

8) OK if over 29" overall with collapsible stock extended, not including removable muzzle devices, otherwise needs to have a brace vice a stock.

9) Yup.

Also, when you move to MD you have to register handguns and pre-ban firearms with the state police.

You should also be aware that MD has specific restrictions about transporting firearms, too.

Some official references (the banned list for long guns, and the allowed list for handguns):

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I lived outside of Frederick City for many years...and Montgomery County as well. Frederick has definitely turned in Montgomery County North...been happening for decades but the change is more rapid than ever.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    1) Cant possess uppers in caliber .223/5.56 unless HBAR or affixed to a pre-ban lower. No HBAR restriction on other calibers. No restrictions on lowers. If you buy a lower in MD, it gets registered with state police and 7 day waiting period applies, just like a handgun.

2) AR9 carbine is fine, 9mm carbine with a multi-caliber lower (which takes .223/5.56) is fine, too. Pistols, however have to be on an approved list.

3) AR10 is fine. I seem to recall there is 1 specific one on the banned list. Restriction on this or any semi-auto center fire rifle is that it not be on the banned list, and not have 2 evil features. Flash hider is one, so is foldable stock or a grenade launcher.

4) 10 rounds mag purchase limit in MD; no possession limit.

5) Yes, it's nation wide now that they have to give you a permit. Here you gotta get training first (unless retired military or LEO) and list some references.

6) Not an expert - others will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think you need your CCW to open carry a handgun. Open carry of long guns I think you need to be aware of some Fish and Game restrictions, too.

7) OK.

8) OK if over 29" overall with collapsible stock extended, not including removable muzzle devices, otherwise needs to have a brace vice a stock.

9) Yup.

Also, when you move to MD you have to register handguns and pre-ban firearms with the state police.

You should also be aware that MD has specific restrictions about transporting firearms, too.

Some official references (the banned list for long guns, and the allowed list for handguns):

1. IIRC you can purchase and possess any Upper you like. The Upper rules apply only when affixed to a lower.

6. Banned after 10/1/23? https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/sb1-open-carry-affected.278233/

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The land is being over-run with Liberal Loons, run as fast as you can and don't look back. I have reasons i can not leave but my job here is to tell others not to do it.
    Maybe in a few years i can buy a vacation home in another state and spend time there and here with my son

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    There's a reason that the current interest rates haven't even put a dent in home sales in Hampshire County, WV.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    1. IIRC you can purchase and possess any Upper you like. The Upper rules apply only when affixed to a lower.

6. Banned after 10/1/23? https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/sb1-open-carry-affected.278233/
    Good catches.

On the first one, though, if you don't own a pre-ban lower, they might be able to get you for "constructive possession" of a banned firearm. I've never heard of the state doing this, although the ATF has reportedly done it for federal regulations.

Boba

Oct 20, 2023
    NoVA
    Thanks all for the great info (and warnings)... Definitely a lot to consider, but I'll have to weigh things from a couple of different angles. I may actually be OK with just having 9mm PCCs and AR-10 .308/Creedmoor. The ban seems even more dumb the more I learn about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom