• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    With the upcoming small game and archery season approaching, does anyone have firsthand knowledge of copperheads on the eastern shore? Mostly Federalsburg , Denton areas. Want to know so I can prep accordingly.
    Non venomous snakes don’t bother me, but not interested in meeting any venomous ones. :). Thanks in advance.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've lived north of federalsburg for 20 years and I hike and fish and I've never seen one. I know a few people who have found them and my brother in law was bitten by one 35 years ago near georgetown. They are here, but not common.
    I'm careful around ditch banks and fallen trees.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    No firsthand knowledge, but around Denton appears to be outside the current range, at least as the DNR map reports it. Extending the lines seems consistent with a Delaware map that I saw last week as well. If they are in that area, it's likely at much lower densities than in other parts of the state.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/herps/Squamata.aspx?SnakeName=Eastern Copperhead
    1661534944701.png

Update: I just ran a search in HerpMapper. No copperhead reports in Caroline County in their data over the last 22 years (the date range I used for the search).

Last edited:

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have encountered three this year so far on the Bush river area and Gunpowder. It was cooler out and after a morning rain on all three occasions. They dont like heat or direct sunlight. They are active again in the fall. Just to let you know they are aggressive snakes for their size and struck at me repeatedly as I was backing away like quick. Im thinking if they are on the west side then they are on the east side also.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    County line drawings might be reflective of population density. But I'm pretty sure that snakes don't pay attention to supposedly snake free county borders, any more than 2 legged snakes pay attention to someone defining gun free zones.

Snake gaiters and chaps aren't too expensive for the peace of mind they can add.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Snake gaiters and chaps aren't too expensive for the peace of mind they can add.
    Have a pair, just wondering whether they’re worth wearing if population is really small.
    Use to never worry about it, but have run across more good snakes over the last couple years near my house. Figure I might be due for a bad one when out and about scouting/hunting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Have a pair, just wondering whether they’re worth wearing if population is really small.
    Use to never worry about it, but have run across more good snakes over the last couple years near my house. Figure I might be due for a bad one when out and about scouting/hunting.

Chances are you won't need them. Then again, chances are you won't need your homeowner's insurance today either.

For ME, the solution to this potential problem took the form of blessed heavy frost. The older I got, the more I got tired of fighting chiggers, ticks, snakes and swarms of mosquitos (especially on the Shore) thick enough to pick me up and carry my merry ass away.

That said, I DO know a guy who was bitten, and I myself have had 2 close enough encounters.

I'd certainly wear those gaiters myself. That's why you bought them. Of course, even they are not fool proof. You also have to pay attention when reaching in snake country. Or sitting down for that matter, which probably isn't the activity that most would think of. But that's how I once almost wound up in a bad way. Suffice it to say it's enough to evoke vivid memories.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Me and snakes get along well when we immediately go our separate ways, that is unless they have a bad disposition.

They do not fare well if they choose to come at me.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Seriously, as a kid in NC I caught and sold copperheads to Carolina Biological Supply.. In my 60+ years I know two creatures bitten by venomous snakes. My friends 5 year old sister was bitten by a large copperhead. She survived. My sisters dog was bitten by a rattler in AZ. He (black lab) lived to be 18. Snakebites are hyped, but relatively uncommon. I was bitten (and bled) trying to relocate a black racer off my neighborhood street, prob 3 yrs ago. SInce maybe 2004 I've probably picked up 2 dozen Northern watersnakes and black racers to relocate them. Just the one bite. Have seen 2 dead juveniles black racers this week, on the street and ran over.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … They dont like heat or direct sunlight. …

Reminded me of the ones I have found, almost always “under” something I’d picked up. A bag of mulch that’d been setting in same place for a couple weeks, an old rotted sheet of plywood, an old (as in rotted) car hood …

THE BIGGEST I’ve killed slithered out from under a 12-foot by 20-foot area of heavy duty black landscaping cloth I‘d staked years earlier with the intention of covering it with gravel but, have yet to … just as sunset turned to dusk ... he (she?) was headed out onto the warm asphalt of the adjacent roadway …

If I can find the pic I’ll post it up. Yuge for a copperhead. Yuge, I say …

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I've heard of them where I used to live on Virginia's part of the shore, but I've personally never seen one on the shore, plenty of the typical black snakes, rat snakes, ring necks, etc.
    We've moved to Crossville, TN last December and the local folk say there are right many around here. RIGHT many. I don't slide into my thick woods without snake boots, but it sorta doesn't matter, if I see one ON the side of the road (this little youngster was already dead), and I'm walking my dog (big, stupid, fearless, stupid collie), it is what it is. At least our new vet out here does have a fair amount of experience with (great) Copperhead bites...
    This low res pic does not show it, but he was about 10" long and still had a touch of yellow in his tail.
    IMG_5115.jpg

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Trouble with Copperheads is that if you try to be nice and relocate them from your woodpile etc., if you don't move them at least 1/2 mile or so then they be back in the same place you found them in a couple days.

I've hunted property on the Eastern shore from Berlin to Queenstown from Hope to ingleside to Barclay and Centerville. I have seen copperhead snakes at several of these places. I can't speak for Federalsburg but I would say if they are probably there. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. The old saying is true they're more afraid of you than you are of them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    They're around.
    I killed a big one on the land off Laurel grove and Pinetown up the road from Nagels.
    Kids were too small to have it about.
    You'll find them in the skunk cabbage in the shade near those small branches and what not but not as many as people think.
    They told me it was a black snake coming out and laying up next to the house and was surprised what I found.
    I dont think anyone would need snake boots though around here though, spraying up for chiggers would be a prudent action this time of year maybe.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Don't forget if you smell cucumbers then a copperhead is somewhere around the area.

Didn't think that was true but learned different up at Broad Creek BSA's Camp Spencer.

Also learned at my Aunt's and Uncle's cabin on the lower Broad Creek while fishing the piers of the 623/Flintville Rd bridge that Copperheads are excellent, fast swimmers that are attracted to a stringer of fish or minnow bucket.

When fishing down south, I heard that water snakes especially Cottonmouths could be attracted by livewell water recirculation but never experienced it first hand but a lot of guys would keep a pistol with snake shot in their tackle box or on the boat.

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Trouble with Copperheads is that if you try to be nice and relocate them from your woodpile etc., if you don't move them at least 1/2 mile or so then they be back in the same place you found them in a couple days.
    What about locating them across the Rainbow Bridge? I have ALL the tolerance in the world for non-poisonous snakes, and much, MUCH less for poison ones...

(Spare yourself the desire to educate this neanderthal, I know they are good for the ecosystem.) Screw your ecosystem, I'd "coal roll" them all until they asphyxiated if I could...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What about locating them across the Rainbow Bridge? I have ALL the tolerance in the world for non-poisonous snakes, and much, MUCH less for poison ones...

(Spare yourself the desire to educate this neanderthal, I know they are good for the ecosystem.) Screw your ecosystem, I'd "coal roll" them all until they asphyxiated if I could...
    Nope. We all have our priorities.

I'm not some Grizzly Adams or Woodsy Owl's Pal but if I see a Copperhead and that AOC or Pelosi laying in the road, I may try to swerve around the snake but I'm going to be backing up over AOC or Pelosi

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom