• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a RRA LAR15 A4 rifle. It's got a 20 in heavy barrel and comes with a flash suppressor. If if take off the suppressor and replace it with a thread protector, have I removed this firearm from the dreaded "Copycat Weapon" category under the proposed legislation? Or do I have to make a permanent modification to the piece?

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Most likely make a permanent mod to it. I suspect that the thread protector would have to be welded in place.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You that much against registering it?

I assume it is a fixed stock. If not, it's still over the limit so won't matter

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    You that much against registering it?

I assume it is a fixed stock. If not, it's still over the limit so won't matter

Yes, this model has a fixed stock. No, I'm not hard over against registration - just trying to understand what might be a simple way to make the current configuration a "non-copycat weapon". I would not want to go so far as welding on a thread protector. I was also wondering about changing out the flash suppressor for a compensator.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    I have a RRA LAR15 A4 rifle. It's got a 20 in heavy barrel and comes with a flash suppressor. If if take off the suppressor and replace it with a thread protector, have I removed this firearm from the dreaded "Copycat Weapon" category under the proposed legislation? Or do I have to make a permanent modification to the piece?

The threaded barrel is the "problem" as they are trying to not only get rid of scary things but your ability to have scary things.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    ...Or replace it with a flash enhancer and show some fireballs. They exist, I looked em up.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    It's very difficult to accurately define the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash hider, especially in the law.

Most AR's could be construed to have flash hiders IMHO so my opinion is the only version that might be allowed would be a bull barrel

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    It is such a gray area, I don't think anyone knows. Right now MSP interprets the HBAR exception to only apply to AR15s that have HBAR stamped somewhere on the gun. Actual parts don't count.

The regulated firearm law says it applies to the Colt branded AR15 "and all imitations except Colt AR15 Sporter H-Bar rifle." The SB281 ban references this definition. There is no way to predict if MSP will continue to give a pass to any gun if doing so is not explicitly spelled out in the letter of the law.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I think you could only get away with a brake if it directs the gasses up :sad20:

(G) "Flash Suppressor" means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's field of vision.

but you've gotta keep in mind how DANGEROUS that makes a rifle. :tdown:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I think you could only get away with a brake if it directs the gasses up :sad20:

Correct. A brake that divides the gases in more than one place, like most AR's, reduces flash and therefore will likely be interpreted as a flash hider

An AK slant brake might be OK, but I am afraid an AR that divides it up equally will not be OK

Makes perfect sense. right?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Copycat provision should eliminate the current HBAR exemption.
    Nah, they changed it to a two feature test. HBARs with a comp and fixed stock will still be good to go. Threaded barrels are not an evil feature on rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom