• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I just got around to finally opening the latest Cabela's order and opened 2 boxes of 9mm 115 JHP. All of the rounds have a perfect circular crimp like mark around 1/3 to 1/2 way down the case. I am not an expert but do not remember seeing this on any rounds before.

Anyone of any input to why the marks are there ?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    People still buy Corbon??

Ironically I just bought some 9mm +p Corbons from Cabella's too.
    Besides (or maybe before) Gold Dots I always thought they were the best or at least very good SD ammo. Is there a reason not buy Corbon, other than the fact that I live most of my life as if its still the '80s?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry Blaster guess I am not up on the trends of cool ammo to buy

I don't know what the cool stuff is any more really. :) I still look at a box of Black Talon .40 I have had since long ago thinking it is the cool stuff :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is that a cannelure that you are seeing ? Used to be more semi-common than currently. It is intended to prevent bullet setback into the case. Is is generally a good feature , in the initial configuration as factory loaded ammo.
    For handloaders hypothetically a cannelure on the case could contribute to case streatching , or have issues if using bullets of different lengths/ seating depths. But this all is a lot more in abstract theory than actual use. For people so inclined Corbin makes a tool to add a cannelure to cases.

Mr Peter Pi does have his philosophies about performance goals fro both defensive and hunting ammunition . CorBon ammunition is high quality , and extensively tested for both the usual velocity/ consistancy / acciraccy standards as well as for terminal performance. ConBon doesn't try to make everything for everyone. But if you are incline twords any of their offerings , it is high quality product.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am not an ammo connoisseur, and maybe not so much now a days, but early on didn't they have a reputation for being a little inconsistent with their loads?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Remington UMC 45ACP does this too. The crimp is below the base of the bullet - on the outside of the case, to prevent bullet setback, and spiking the case pressure. Other makes do this too.

Ive reloaded many of the 45ACP cases with that crimp with no issue. You can feel the crimp in the sizer die, but thats the only thing it does.

Shoot it and dont worry about it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I am not an ammo connoisseur

When your getting your ammo for free, you don't need to be one. ;)

OP, Deep Creek Rock hit it on the head there. It's to prevent bullet setback, which can be a dangerous thing - chamber pressure spikes, parts can fail, your day gets ruined.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Should've stocked up more of it, the 357SIG stock is getting danger low. :sad20:

Have to settle for Hydra-shoks until I get more dots in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom