• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    No, I couldn't at present.

I saw that a month ago, and there was a thread. When I saw those pictures, I thought that was the way to go. After all, they make these things over wood fires in the Mid East, so it has to be easy. And after some study, I concluded it isn't hard, but it requires more knowledge than I presently have. For example, somehow you have to harden the interior rails. You can do it before installation, or after. But if you do it before, and you plug weld, you have to be careful not to overheat the rails and lose the hardening. If you do it after, and get the assembly too hot, it warps up on you.

Since they changed the de-milling requirements to chop the barrel, you have to press a new or used barrel into the front trunnion. That implies headspacing, something you have to get right.

I don't think I have the patience to follow the learning curve on my own.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Thats freaking awesome. Its not something I would attempt as I would probably lose a limb or an eye, but awesome!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    THAT LINK DOESN'T DO THE STORY JUSTICE

Go find the original thread from like 6 months ago. The guy who built it did an absolutely fantastic write up.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Yes. I could do that. I'll try it right after I finish recreating a Saturn V engine out of my old above ground swimming pool.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...9192-diy-shovel-ak-photo-tsunami-warning.html

link to the story, looks like pics are down due to bandwidth issue but the story is hilarious and awesome.

dont send more links to a site like chive that just rips off and reposts original content.

And if they hadn't done that, I wouldn't have known about it. Nor would the others here who were unaware of it. Nothing wrong with re-posting and consolidating stuff on the web. A site like The Chive is great for people who don't normally dive deep into any one particular area. This would be interesting to non-firearms people, but they'd probably never have seen it if it weren't shown on a more general type of site like The Chive.
    Also the girls rock!
    Mind the Gap Mondays!:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom