Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Saw this on facepage.

Crofton Police Department, Crofton Maryland

30m ·

https://www.facebook.com/#
    Fox Traps Stolen.
    Crofton Country Club had several Fox Traps stolen overnight. Crofton Country Club hired the services of Trap Pro to relocate the Foxes in a humane way. The Foxes has caused major damage to the Golf Course. We are attempting to reach out to the community in an effort to have these traps returned. We understand the sensitive nature of trapping our local wildlife. However, stealing these traps is a crime and can result in criminal charges.
    If you have any information related to this or would like to return any traps, please contact the Crofton Police Department at 410-721-2301 or you may contact the Crofton Country Club at 410-721-3111. Thank you.

I thought that you could not transport or release a trapped animal.

From MD

• Any furbearer caught during the legal trapping season for that species may be released on site, but may not be transported from the point of capture unless it has been killed.
    Can you get a different permit?

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    "Crofton Country Club hired the services of Trap Pro"

I'm pretty sure there are different rules for professionals handling nuisance animals.

-Rob

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    "Check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers foxes, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key..."

Funny that you post this as just a couple of days ago around 5pm I saw a fox briefly dig in my flower beds outside my kitchen window. Don't remember seeing a fox during the day before but I understand it isn't unusual. I usually only see them on occasion in the early morning.

Oh... and I live in Crofton. Didn't realize foxes were an issue in the area... or to a golf course.

J

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    "Check me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers foxes, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key..."

Funny that you post this as just a couple of days ago around 5pm I saw a fox briefly dig in my flower beds outside my kitchen window. Don't remember seeing a fox during the day before but I understand it isn't unusual. I usually only see them on occasion in the early morning.

Oh... and I live in Crofton. Didn't realize foxes were an issue in the area... or to a golf course.

J
    OK, but why don't we do the same thing, but with gophers?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I live right across 450 from the parkway and we have a ton of foxes. They will kill the chickens if you leave the out alone when they are raising their kits. Every now and then I get one that just won't leave the coop/run alone and I have to do something about it. Our worst event had 10 chickens killed one day. The ring camera footage was pretty terrible. The fox just came back over and over to pick them off one at a time while they were in the front yard.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Major Damage?
    What? pooping on the greens?
    They are likely doing them a service and controlling the rabbits who will eat and poop even more.

Foxes around my house seem to poop in the strangest places. Often in front of my cameras, most of the time on pavement, stone walls or once, right in front of the front door. Dogs go on sniffing spree every morning instead of getting to business.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    We lived in Crofton (off Riedel) for over a decade until very recently. There are definitely foxes. There was one sunbathing in my back yard one morning a couple of weeks ago. Thought it might be rabid, out in full sun and just laying there - awake, but not really doing anything. I didn't see it leave, but it eventually did.

Yep. Definitely foxes.

Didn't stop the geese from raising their annual flock of babies in the pond between the 4th & 5th holes.

-Rob

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I see foxes occasionally here in Fulton during the day. They are on the move looking for food, so I'm not too concerned that they might be rabid.

Had some poop up against the garage door on the concrete and on stone walls. Definitely weird habits.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A few salient points:

Taking traps that do not belong to you violates both criminal statutes and game law. I hope they catch the thieves and prosecute them every way possible.

Professional animal control people operate under special license and are not bound by regular hunting/trapping law.

Foxes dig trenches in the greens, digging up mole runs hunting moles, thus the "damage".

Moles are there for the grubs.

Kill the grubs, moles go elsewhere.

No moles, no foxes, but let's just ignore the cause and treat the symptom...

Major Damage?
    They are likely doing them a service and controlling the rabbits who will eat and poop even more.

Foxes around my house seem to poop in the strangest places. Often in front of my cameras, most of the time on pavement, stone walls or once, right in front of the front door. Dogs go on sniffing spree every morning instead of getting to business.
    The foxes in my neighborhood have dug an extensive network of burrows/tunnels.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Major Damage?

I was a member of a golf course in Westmintser back in the 90’s, they had a fox problem too. They did more than just poop on the greens. Foxes have a propensity to stash food caches in holes they dig in their home range. On the 3rd hole (a par 3), one fox would always dig her hole right in the center of the green. It made a heck of a mess, which I’m sure cost the course owners a good bit to constantly repair the damage. There were other holes that suffered this same fate, albeit randomly. I think they eventually hired pro trappers to fix the problem, and it seemed to have worked.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We feed the local songbirds. Seed hits the ground. Rodents spend the night eating the seed. The foxes spend the night murdering the rodents. We find them charming and entertaining (of course we don't have poultry to worry about). They definitely keep the pests down. This year's kits are now scrawny-looking teenagers with no clue - very funny to watch. They get into spats with each other and the adults, more noise than actual violence - and boy they can make some crazy noises. It's particularly fun when they get into a standoff with one of the raccoons that's surveilling the trash cans.

I've never seen the foxes dig anywhere in or around our yard, but then I don't think we have moles, either. I've seen them carrying around the occasional shrew-ish critter. These appear to have their den in the strip of woods across the street, but they definitely poop in territory-marking ways, that's very deliberate. Have never seen a rabid one, though we had one come through with very bad mange. We put out some pieces of hot dog injected with the parasite-killing Ivermectin, and that fox returned to health in an amazingly short time, avoiding a truly nasty death. They only live an average of three or four years in the wild, it seems. A short, busy, complex life.

Last edited:

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I feel sorry for any wildlife that lives on or frequents a golf course. With all the chemicals they use on golf courses those poor animals/birds don't stand a chance. Those places are toxic.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I feel same as you Occam. The foxes that frequent my place have given me and wifey countless hours of entertainment. The moles I had tearing up my yard are no longer and the chipmunks are kept well in check as well. Their occasional misplaced poop is small price to pay for the entertainment and natural rodent control.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I had a "pest" control guy come on to trap a couple whistle pigs. I can't SSS where I live. Anyway, he told me that any furbearer he traps is taken either to a refuge/rescue or euthanized. It was against MD state law (some animal laws are federal) to relocate it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I wish the foxes would come down my street and take care of the rabbits. There is always one in my back yard. I saw a gang of 5 rabbits running across my neighbors’ front yards.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wish the foxes would come down my street and take care of the rabbits. There is always one in my back yard. I saw a gang of 5 rabbits running across my neighbors’ front yards.
    Trap the rabbits and eat them….

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom