• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Just looking for factory ammo in .223 for coyotes. Looking for the flattest shooting, lighter weight bullet I can find. I am thinking either Hornady Superformance 53 grain or Winchester Ballistic Silvertip varmint 55 grain. I am using thermal and I missed a couple of shots at 275 yards because I totally miss judged my distance. If anyone has a box or two of the above ammo I am willing to pay top dollar or trade for it, if you are not using it. If you have something you think is better let me know.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    AR-15, suppressed, 1-7 twist, I typically zero at 100 yards. I have a 22-250 but its a non threaded barrel and its a bolt gun. I much prefer to hunt with the AR, i have had doubles come past me and the suppressor keeps from spooking to bad, plus they don't always know where I am as I am missing shots in their direction.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    May be that the twist is to fast for the 50-55 grain bullets. Maybe try heavier slugs, 70 -77 grain will probably work better. Personally I’d choose the 22-250, one dead coyote beats two missed ones in the bush. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d zero at 200. Significantly reduces the error out further. Point blank distance is significantly longer with a 200yd zero.

I forget off the top of my head, but with a 100yd zero an M193 it’s like a 10 inch drop at 300. With a 200yd zero it’s like a 6” drop. A lot more wiggle room if you’ve misjudged the distance.

Another suggestion is even at night, if you’ve got a small amount of light (like moonlight) you can use an illuminated OLED rangefinder to get some ranges off landmarks if you are doing sits/calls for yotes. If it is “fixed” areas you are often doing calling, I’d consider putting in a few ranging stakes

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Yup, all sounds like good advice, thank you. I have been using the OnX hunting app to show me distances, (after my misses). I guess it's time to head to the 200 yard range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But seriously , in this instance , twist rate is key , as MOA or less accuracy is important . If you had old school varmint rifle with 1:12 o r 1:14 twist , the answers would be very different than for a 1:7 twist .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    JBM Ballistics site.

Run the numbers. Find the flattest shooting round, then the MPBR for that load. And it will even tell you the zero for a 100 yard range for MPBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom