• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive predator call for this area? The Primos Double Cottontail seems to get good reviews and it's under $20.

Can't really comment on that call as I use a foxpro e caller. I will say I have never had any luck with rabbitt calls. I have called in fox with rodent squeeks and I have called in coyotes with grey fox/coyote fight and with fawn distress.

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks for the tip. Ill see what rodent/mouse calls are avail that get decent reviews. I'd like to get in to some fox hunting but I don't have the funds for an electronic call box.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Thanks for the tip. Ill see what rodent/mouse calls are avail that get decent reviews. I'd like to get in to some fox hunting but I don't have the funds for an electronic call box.

I said the same thing a few years ago then I realized how fast I could spend money on a variety of hand calls and picked up a used ecaller on ebay for $200. It has 50 some odd calls and I have since used it for fox, coyote, raccoon, crow and and even squirells.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Really you should use 2 calls wether it be an electronic and reed call or a reed call and mouth call. If you can see it in the woods, a loud call is to much.

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    I said the same thing a few years ago then I realized how fast I could spend money on a variety of hand calls and picked up a used ecaller on ebay for $200. It has 50 some odd calls and I have since used it for fox, coyote, raccoon, crow and and even squirells.

I get your logic and completely agree. I've been looking around at a few things on ebay and CL. I might do a reed call and a squeaker to wet my appetite for predator hunting. I have mostly upland gear so I'm also going to need better camo if I get hooked on fox/yote hunting.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL Kafratta, I was at the Havre de Grace farmers market earlier talking to some local farmers, and no luck getting a solid "yes" today- but did give out some business cards. I also chatted long enough and showed my farming knowledge so that they could get some idea of me. Picked up some free range pullet eggs too!

I also saw Debra from Estate Brokers and we waved to eachother...

Is a hunting license required to hunt either coyotes or foxes in MD? I know in VA none is needed for yotes.

I'm thinking about heading to the Frederick Watershed some night to look for coyote. Are there any restrictions as far as ammo/type of firearm? I know we can't hunt anything on Sundays and nights for coyote are only allowed during the fall-winter months.

Is a hunting license required to hunt either coyotes or foxes in MD? I know in VA none is needed for yotes.

I'm thinking about heading to the Frederick Watershed some night to look for coyote. Are there any restrictions as far as ammo/type of firearm? I know we can't hunt anything on Sundays and nights for coyote are only allowed during the fall-winter months.

To clarify, I know the furbearer permit is needed, but i don't want to make the assumption that no actual license is needed.

I've never hunted varmint, and I'd like to take my new AR-15 (and a caller) to try my luck with the coyotes.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    BTW night hunting for coyotes and foxes opens nov 1 on the western side of the Bay, and Charles and Dorchester you can hunt/trap them year round day/night.

If anyone shoots some nice fox, yote, or coons and doesn't know what to do with them, I will take them. Either fresh and kept cold or frozen fresh, but you have to deliver them and I'll need your hunting lisc and other info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom