CPW seeks sharpshooting volunteers for elk management project in the San Luis Valley

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I don't know if this is open to nonresidents but apparently they have an Elk problem.

Link showing the Elk problem, that's a lot of Elk:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    their qual shouldn't be too hard, 12" target will be 6moa at 200 and 4moa at 300 yds. but having to do that at their range will limit how many will apply depending on how far they have to travel. if they can qual and go hunting that's one thing, but if it's a two step process days or weeks apart, that's another thing.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Is this the one from last year that required you to butcher the elk in the field and allowed no wheeled carts, wagons, or other types of vehicles? Didn’t they want you to shoot and process like 20 elk each or something crazy like that? Or am I thinking of another managed cull hunt?

Also, this is closed, they’re not accepting any more applications for this season.

Last edited:

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Something like this popped up a year or so ago on Rokslide. I think it was for bison then, possibly in NM.

Guaranteed you gotta know somebody to 'get lucky' enough to draw.

Like Archeryrob said. Issue more tags in areas where there are actually elk. OTC tags that the common man can get, not tags to fund some outfitters business model.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I got an idea, give out more tags.

In general you're right . But from the link , this is specifically for a National Park , and a Wildlife Refuge that normally aren't open for hunting . And presumably have logistic reasons for specific number of hunters , in specific locations .

In that context , this is provided more opportunities to the public , than contracting with Professional Wildlife Control contractors .

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    85D2EA37-4EF3-4E02-AF0F-8F96349D78FC.png

Unless “in” before, you’re not “in” now. As I stated earlier, it’s been closed already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom