• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    In 2011 I got my bachelors in Criminal Justice and Criminology at University of Maryland. At first I was thinking I could be a police officer, but I'm not sure if that would really be the right job for me. For over a year now I have been trying to be promoted to full time management at UPS which I have worked at for over 6 years. While I am still leaving that as an option, I have also been looking into other jobs as well. Most of the searches for criminal justice related jobs have not found many good options. Does anyone know of any types of jobs that I could look for?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not to sound like an ass, but why are you asking us about jobs would be good for you?

You just received a college level degree on a specific.subject and don't know?

There are probably a thousand jobs that a criminal justice degree could be useful, if not just your college education is a step up for some employers.

From what my friends tell me, criminal justice degree is about worthless for public safety jobs besides the fact you competed college successfully.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Im not sure how a degree vs experience in the job field works in their hiring process but ive run into a few job postings for security guards at pax river/indian head and other government/military/contractor company places here in southern maryland. Assuming you've got a clean record to obtain security clearance and can get whatever certification it seems like a good job.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    try agencies like fbi what not?

I cant say that ive looked to deep into it, but from what I understand the fed agency guys pick from people who have a few years experience already doing something police or military related.
    Although I do personally know someone who got hired by the fbi straight out of college with a criminal justice degree. However Ive lost touch with him because the job was all the way in new mexico. For all i know he's doing clerical work

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I cant say that ive looked to deep into it, but from what I understand the fed agency guys pick from people who have a few years experience already doing something police or military related.
    Although I do personally know someone who got hired by the fbi straight out of college with a criminal justice degree. However Ive lost touch with him because the job was all the way in new mexico. For all i know he's doing clerical work

its a job.. at least he got in right?

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    How about gun confiscation officer for the state of Maryland? Oh wait that position doesn't exist .....Yet

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why get a CJ degree if LE isnt your thing...doesnt make sense.

It's fairly useless in the LE world as well.

Something like busniess management or administration would be just as good.

With that being said no one can offer you job advice as we dont know you or your interest. If UPS is paying the bills stick with them.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Secret service? I toured their academy last year and couldn't imagine attending. They don't look for people with a CJ/LEO mindset, rather look for people who bring a unique perspective. Which is why they love accountants, education and other majors, not just CJ. In fact, I think they said they try to avoid it.

Take what you've learned from UPS and try to get another job doing what you want to be promoted to do. If you can sell yourself, they won't care what your degree is in, as long as you have the experience.

Infantry

Feb 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'm new to the group so please forgive any misunderstanding. I do understand your plight from my past experience.

I'm assuming you don't like loading packages or delivery action which is understandable since that is a production job where someone is always behind you keeping tabs and expecting more output.

On that basis, I can see why a government type job carries an interest for you and also the idea that you might have some variation in your day beyond where the latest shipment just arrived from. Though the pressure may be high in any job the type of pressure is often more suitable for some than others. I never liked production jobs either but felt comfortable in sales and teaching.

I notice Travis mentioned security officer jobs and that makes sense to me.

As a temporary fallback plan I can suggest working as a security officer/guard. I did that job 30+ years ago when just out of the military and I had no civilian skills. The pay was okay back then but it did offer interaction with people and taught me a few things.

Many armed security jobs pay at least $20 per hour to start according to an individual I met who trains them. I talked to two brothers a few weeks back that were getting their certification to become DHS security guards and one said his pay level is over $30 an hour plus overtime but it was for the government so I am not surprised though maybe disgusted.

I don't think they were college grads but nowadays that doesn't mean as much apparently due to a glut of degrees. Lots of people have them that are tending bar or waiting tables or working retail. Even if it were somewhere between $20-$30 that wouldn't be bad at all. I don't know what UPS pays but probably short of $20 I expect.

I recently talked to the guy doing the training at the range since I always like to know these things just as a fallback plan for myself or friends. He trains you to get a permit to carry and then you can be hired by banks, companies, or agencies. He said that many local part time jobs can be found at $20 per hour.

Since you are already only part time at UPS you might have the flexibility to try a job out like this without fully jumping ship. If it doesn't work out you always have some experience under your belt for the next job or you might find other opportunities from that one.

The training company the two brothers used was called train-to-aim and I think they have a website. I have no connection to the company and only met one of the trainers so I can't tell you for sure the results are as I had heard.

Infantry

Feb 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Also: Regarding your degree in Criminal Justice.

It has value and may be the foundation of a more advanced degree with a specialization. American Military University is an online means of getting a Masters degree within many areas that you won't find at a state college. You can get a Masters for $12k or less in many categories. It is lots of work though and requires a special discipline. I'd get a job that would pay for it.

I knew a guy with a CJ degree who was training to become a martial arts Instructor. I trained under him and he was very good. He published articles in national magazines and later more than 20 books on the subject. He trains military and civilian police worldwide and to my knowledge only worked as a bouncer, but a very good one. I think his degree kept him out of jail since he knew the legal limits of action. That was my perception anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom