• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I don't appendix carry, but I do like my crossbreed supertuck holster. That being said, I've been seeing a lot of good reviews on the phlster enigma, which is a standalone holster rig (not secured to your pants), that you can use with various different appendix style holsters. I'm considering one for appendix carry.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The two posts above mentioned my first recommendations. Tier1 and PHLster are superb.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    crossbreed is too bulky except for the Xecutive. There are probably hundreds of "taco AIWB" holster brands out now, pretty much all the same design as the Vedder, Tulster, "we the people" etc. I generally use a single wide plastic clip without a claw for my P365 and smaller pistols. The claw can help stabilize a pistol with a full size grip if that is what you carry. My last couple AIWB holsters were We the people, or a couple local makers, pretty much the only way I carry IWB anymore. You can tweak the shape a little with a heat gun or sander if needed, sometimes I'll do that if a holster has a hotspot to it. While the P365 has been my EDC for a few years now, I've carried AIWB for a lot longer with other pistols. It takes a little experimentation and some practice to get used to it, and IMO the less bulk, the better. Some pistols might need your belt to ride a little higher or lower, the larger pistols might take a bit more "dressing around". Even with something as big as my G19, AIWB is more comfortable than the old 4:00 in pretty much any kydex, leather or hybrid IWB holster I've tried. It does present a faster draw, better access(especially in a car), better concealability, more comfort, and MUCH better weapon retention than 4:00 IWB.

Attachments

• 20220711_124049.jpg
      20220711_124049.jpg
      250.8 KB · Views: 116

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    crossbreed is too bulky except for the Xecutive. There are probably hundreds of "taco AIWB" holster brands out now, pretty much all the same design as the Vedder, Tulster, "we the people" etc. I generally use a single wide plastic clip without a claw for my P365 and smaller pistols. The claw can help stabilize a pistol with a full size grip if that is what you carry. My last couple AIWB holsters were We the people, or a couple local makers, pretty much the only way I carry IWB anymore. You can tweak the shape a little with a heat gun or sander if needed, sometimes I'll do that if a holster has a hotspot to it. While the P365 has been my EDC for a few years now, I've carried AIWB for a lot longer with other pistols. It takes a little experimentation and some practice to get used to it, and IMO the less bulk, the better. Some pistols might need your belt to ride a little higher or lower, the larger pistols might take a bit more "dressing around". Even with something as big as my G19, AIWB is more comfortable than the old 4:00 in pretty much any kydex, leather or hybrid IWB holster I've tried. It does present a faster draw, better access(especially in a car), better concealability, more comfort, and MUCH better weapon retention than 4:00 IWB.
    a couple more and you'll have one for each day of the week ! LOL . i guess i'll be like everyone else a buy/try a few till i figure it out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    a couple more and you'll have one for each day of the week ! LOL . i guess i'll be like everyone else a buy/try a few till i figure it out.
    Probably 100 holsters in my bin from the past 20+ years or so, first EDC was a S&W 442 revolver in a leather IWB. These were all carried over the last 10 years, GLOCK 27, 19 XDs45, CW380(still pocket carry it on occasion) and then the P365 about 4 years ago, which is still my current EDC, and so far found nothing better than that in a kydex AIWB.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Crossbreed for OWB are good. I have tried and returned almost all of there IWB and AIWB holsters.
    Most of the time I use Vedder if I have a belt on and the Philster Enigma when I can’t use a belt (scrubs, sweats, etc)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Every Crossbreed holster I saw was a fail. The over abundance of leather ensconcing the pistol and kydex part after breaking in. During fights/weapon retention when they went for their pistols, most usually grabbed the leather along with the draw and the whole fcking holster came out in their hand.
    This being said.... most don't know how to properly draw from a kydex holster. Let alone a hybrid.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Every Crossbreed holster I saw was a fail. The over abundance of leather ensconcing the pistol and kydex part after breaking in. During fights/weapon retention when they went for their pistols, most usually grabbed the leather along with the draw and the whole fcking holster came out in their hand.
    This being said.... most don't know how to properly draw from a kydex holster. Let alone a hybrid.
    Yes, when the supertuck came out, saw a lot of people try to get a grip fast, fingers bouce off the backing and they come up empty. The later combat cut, fox and comp-tac were better, but still got floppy after carrying for a while and were pretty bulky. I tried a couple, but didn't really like them, went from OWB most of the year and a a Desantis cozy partner IWB in summer straight to Kydex and never went back. Kydex does take a positive snap straight up before rotating out, but the retention is good, less wear in the pistol, better protection, doesn't soak up sweat, and tuneable.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Would you mind giving a little more detail on this?
    You have to give it a good SNAP/jerk out and not a slower pull. Slower the pull, the more of a chance the holster would come up with it. Unless you have clips that the belt laces through that will keep the holster on the belt.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Holsters are very personal, get what works for you. I do know crossbreed gives a two week trial period. I've never had issue with drawing or carrying with them but know everyone is different.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom