Crow Hunting Facts For The State Of Maryland HUH ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Yeah, I find it all quite amusing. That's why I was not afraid to be blunt about feelings towards the Maryland hunting laws.

I have yet to understand why Crows are listed as Upland Game in the Maryland rule book, then I'm told they are Federally Protected Migratory, then turn right back around and tell me they are listed as Upland Game in Maryland so MD DNR doesn't have to "go back to the feds to approve our season" What the hell does that mean ? LOL

What this tells me is Maryland lists them as Upland Game regardless of what the Feds say, so, if you go shoot them, as listed under Maryland law, you'll be breaking a federal law, I guess Maryland is an island unto itself with no federal regulation ? LMAO

Where are crows migrating from/to? I see crows thick as tar at the Reisterstown subay stop daily to and from work every day. They friggin migrate to food and water and back to the roost.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    I live next to a migratory route i think..i see 1000's of them..seems like every day. Huge flocks of them.

I don't like to kill what i do not eat.

You eat what crows you kill?

And if not.. how do you tell yourself it is ok to do?

I read this but not sold on it yet..http://www.crowbusters.com/whyhc.htm

I do know the pester turkeys big time..and eat the eggs.

Good site for crow hunters - http://www.crowbusters.com/

I have been crow hunting before..it is fun for sure but as i grow up i look for a better reason to kill then just fun.

Just curious were some of you stand on this..

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Where are crows migrating from/to? I see crows thick as tar at the Reisterstown subay stop daily to and from work every day. They friggin migrate to food and water and back to the roost.

Migration
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crows are called short distance migrants. Some may only move a few miles from the nesting territory to ones that move a few hundred miles. This seems to occur more in the northern climates where winters get fairly harsh.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Dude,

Crows in MD got decimated by the West Nile Virus a couple of years ago. Give them a break for a few more years and then put the .22 to good practice.

Yes, the crows did get hit hard, about 10 years ago, it wasn't WNV, but, the crow populations are well on the rebound these days.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Yes, I agree with what you say. I have yet to figure out where they migrate to except back to the roost. This brings another reason for the confusion of why they are listed as migratory by the federal govt.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Crows can be rather destructive to crops and as such I am pretty sure that there are crop predation permits available. That said allowing such a widely available season should take care of providing plenty of opprotunity to "sport hunt" a "recreational resource".

Last edited:

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I would call Crows more Nomadic than migritory. However, there are resident crows, like resident geese. Still dont see crows near like I use to see them. Robins and BlueJays are down in numbers also.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I would call Crows more Nomadic than migritory. However, there are resident crows, like resident geese. Still dont see crows near like I use to see them. Robins and BlueJays are down in numbers also.

Robins are plentiful where I live (Eldersburg). In fact I have so many Robins around my house, they've become a nuisance - they like to build nests under my deck on the main support beam, and they keep coming back no matter how many times I discourage them (knocking the nests off, the minute they start building - I wouldn't destroy an established nest.)

Interesting tidbit of bird behavior... last year, I destroyed all the eggs in a House Sparrow nest (in my Bluebird box) - a couple of hours later the HOSP's were both over at the nearby Robin's nest, destroying the eggs there. I guess the HOSP's blamed the Robin, and were out for revenge. Damnedest thing I've ever seen!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My buddy and I went yesterday mid day and we went out again this afternoon. Lots of action and we're putting the Crows on the ground. It's been a lot of fun so far. Might go again Saturday. It's bit more fun than busting clays if you need a challenge.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    hekljekl.jpg

Does anyone remember Fritz The Cat comics?

fritz-the-cat-5.jpg

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I would like to go crow,squirrel or rabbit hunting as I have never been. I would love to do so with a .22 handgun for the challenge of the stalk and kill. I don't much cherish the idea of shotgun hunting as it seems a bit to easy unless hunting waterfowl. Frankly the laws and regs are such that I would rather hunt on private land which I seem to be short on at this very moment.

I just fear being harassed hunting on public land with a handgun. Seems that any reason is reason enough to harass a firearms barer.

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    I would like to go crow,squirrel or rabbit hunting as I have never been. I would love to do so with a .22 handgun for the challenge of the stalk and kill. I don't much cherish the idea of shotgun hunting as it seems a bit to easy unless hunting waterfowl. Frankly the laws and regs are such that I would rather hunt on private land which I seem to be short on at this very moment.

I just fear being harassed hunting on public land with a handgun. Seems that any reason is reason enough to harass a firearms barer.

Don't underestimate crows, they're pretty smart. For maximum enjoyment, use a .410 shotgun...much tougher than a larger bore.

I think the statute of limitation has run out, so I'll say we treated them like varmints when I was young...no season, no bag limits, no restraint, just piles of dead crows.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't underestimate crows, they're pretty smart. For maximum enjoyment, use a .410 shotgun...much tougher than a larger bore.

I think the statute of limitation has run out, so I'll say we treated them like varmints when I was young...no season, no bag limits, no restraint, just piles of dead crows.

Did you leave 3% of the resident population alive??

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    When I saw this thread I thought SOMDSHOOTER was back till I saw the date. I was a little sad, he was funny but knew everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom