• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    BATFE has required a single, specific caliber to be listed for almost 2 years now (No listing "Multi"). Its not a recent event.

Are you sure it needs to be a single specific caliber? I thought it was OK to list more than one caliber. I ask because I have a SBR lower that I put in about 3 months ago for 5.56, 300blk and 9mm.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Are you sure it needs to be a single specific caliber? I thought it was OK to list more than one caliber. I ask because I have a SBR lower that I put in about 3 months ago for 5.56, 300blk and 9mm.

I did the same exact thing 6 months ago... :sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Needs to be a single specific caliber in the caliber field. If you put more than one, you'll run into issues. At least on an AR-15, there's absolutely no reason to list more than one. And if you really feel the need, there's some other place on the form to put the other calibers.

For my 3 forms, I simply listed one caliber for each.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Contradiction? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=62831

I have certainly seen people on the intertubes saying that their forms ot approved with more than one listing.
    More than one caliber isn't a problem on its own. Writing more than one caliber in the caliber field is. I don't think that link specified which was meant.

This actually makes sense when you consider that this is an application to create a specific weapon; your SBR cannot be multiple calibers at once. Similarly, it cannot have multiple barrel lengths simultaneously, which is why people who write more than one length in the barrel field also get into trouble. When you write the other calibers into the additional info field, you're essentially saying "these are additional calibers".

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Me? No!

I dont make the guidelines/Rules/Regs, BATFE does it seems. Im just passing on what BATFE/NFA say they require. Yes, their Guidelines do change and are not always consistent, but it is what it is.

If you want to use additional calibers all you have to do is write a letter of intent with your form 1. You list all of the calibers and alternate Barrel Lengths/OAL's for Temporay Configs.

You can send one after your Form 1 is approved as well.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    If you ask me this is a good thing.

One could argue that if you made a list of Calibers on a form 4... say an AR with 5.56..etc and then a new round comes out like the 6.8... that would would have to notify the ATF to shoot this caliber. Now its clear that they want the standard config and caliber conversions do not need to be listed.

Of course what they should really do is remove this info from the form... its outdated in with modern firearms. The Barrel length should not be required except for AOWs and Short barrels... and then just a check mark for under 16".

You guys want another retarded one...
    In 1986 they made it illegal for a private individual to make/own a new MG.
    If you reactivate a dewatted MG, you must list your name (or company name) as the manufacturer from there out!

So on my MG08/15 Spandau Arsenal German WWI MG... when it transfers the next time I must my name as the manufacture BUT there is no way I could legally manufacture the gun when I reactivated it last year... Plus the reactivation had nothing to do with the Sideplate which is considered the receiver of the firearm.

Then again the ATF can't even figure out which sideplate is the receiver...

So consider yourself lucky that your own problem is calibers on a form!

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    BATFE has required a single, specific caliber to be listed for almost 2 years now (No listing "Multi"). Its not a recent event.

I wasnt talking about putting "Multi" in box 4c. Not sure where you got that from. Read the posts above. It has been acceptable to list multiple calibers ("9mm, 22lr, 5.56") in box 4c in the past. The ATF has only started kicking back forms for doing so in the last few months. Prior to that they were all approved.

Now, the ATF is requiring that only 1 caliber be listed in box 4c and that any additional calibers be listed in box 4h. I was told this straight from Ms. Edna Rodriguez-Wilson at the ATF yesterday.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I wasnt talking about putting "Multi" in box 4c. Not sure where you got that from. Read the posts above. It has been acceptable to list multiple calibers ("9mm, 22lr, 5.56") in box 4c in the past. The ATF has only started kicking back forms for doing so in the last few months. Prior to that they were all approved.

Now, the ATF is requiring that only 1 caliber be listed in box 4c and that any additional calibers be listed in box 4h. I was told this straight from Ms. Edna Rodriguez-Wilson at the ATF yesterday.

I believe he was confused by erwos' response to Dave where erwos did not understand the issue correctly.

Start here and read on. I know of numerous people and shop owners whom listed multiple calibers in 4c with approved forms. This is to inform anyone that's done this in the past or newbie to avoid tying up their app for an extra month due to the new rules. Why BATFE does not put out a formal bulletin is anyone's guess.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Oh well... I guess that I am destined to wait a couple extra months on that one. [HT4 pretends that he is not crying] :(

Now I am tempted to SBR/SBS my old Savage .22LR/20 gauge over/under... just to f**k with the ATF. Not only would it have multiple calibers, but it would be a SBR and a SBS.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Oh well... I guess that I am destined to wait a couple extra months on that one. [HT4 pretends that he is not crying] :(

Now I am tempted to SBR/SBS my old Savage .22LR/20 gauge over/under... just to f**k with the ATF. Not only would it have multiple calibers, but it would be a SBR and a SBS.

That would be an interesting test case. I wonder how the ATF would handle a duel caliber over/under SBS/SBR.

And dont worry, it shouldnt add a couple extra months. Maybe a month at best. When speaking with Ms. Wilson from the ATF yesterday regarding the corrections needed for my forms she told me once the forms are corrected and sent back it should take between 15-30 days for approval.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    That would be an interesting test case. I wonder how the ATF would handle a duel caliber over/under SBS/SBR.

I like to think that the entire agency would implode in shock after realizing that something does not fall into their neat pigeon holes... but the more likely answer is they will do what they have always done: Make some arbitrary ruling that is not based on the law or any objective criteria and is subject to change without notice (i.e., 14" shoelace, Atkins accelerator and chore boy copper scrub pads). I suspect that the ruling would involve more than one tax stamp. :(

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Just checked and had another stamp approved. :D

Item - MG (Uzi bolt)
    Pending - 12/01/11
    Approved - 5/31/12

Hopefully the stamp will arrive in the next few days.

Stamp arrived and just picked up the new toy. Ain't she pretty.:toothless

Attachments

• Uzi Bolt.JPG
      Uzi Bolt.JPG
      89.8 KB · Views: 366

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Congrats! And the wait wasn't too bad either (once you've been indictrinated to believe that six months is a reasonable time for the government to grant you the privlege of paying a tax).

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010

You've heard of 2 girls 1 cup... I bet that would be 1 gun 2 stamps. That's just purely my speculation.

Went pending Jan 17th on 2 suppressors... Though I should be expecting them in the next 2 weeks, but judging by other I think I have over a month left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom