• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    As far as I'm aware, no vetting happens at all before cashing the check. The fastest way we are going to find anything out about SBR's is someone doing an individual form 1 to the MSP.

My AMD-65 SBR, Form 1 suppressor, and SXS SBS were cashed 3/17 and my G34 was cashed 7/30. I've also got an SBR submitted 9/30 via the eForm1 We'll see how they go.

Mmmm. Tell me more about this one. I've been thinking about a form 1 spur hammer coach gun, but having trouble making up my mind on what to start with.

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Agreed. Something got screwed up. The only error I had was approved in less than two weeks after return. That was less than a year ago.

I returned an error a couple months ago, still no stamp. I believe the reason for the period between correction and approval is that the new non-examiner employees are vetting before making it to the examiner where as before the examiner themselves was noting the error and returning the paperwork.

-Jim

auf_2

Mar 29, 2013
    Finally got the paperwork!!

Sent to ATF first week of Feb. Pending third week of Mar.
    Signed First week of Nov. Received First week of Nov.

SBR picked up aprox. 1 hour after getting the phone call.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    My Form 1

Check Cashed 09/12/2013

Government shut down adding time....

Went pending 10/31/2013

Maybe done by 04/24/2014

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Just called them about a form 1. They're not giving out estimated dates anymore. :(

NFA tracker says I'm looking at march or april.

Type: Form 1 SBR
    Sent: 02/22/2013
    Received: 03/05/2013
    Cashed: 03/07/2013
    Pending: 09/11/2013
    Approved: ?
    Just called them again:
    "That's expected to be approved nine months from April 23rd." ATF
    "There's no pending date or anything?" I said.
    "April 23rd." ATF.
    "Thanks, have a good day." I replied.

I'm so confused.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Just called them again:
    "That's expected to be approved nine months from April 23rd." ATF
    "There's no pending date or anything?" I said.
    "April 23rd." ATF.
    "Thanks, have a good day." I replied.

I'm so confused.

Your pending date is April 23rd. That is very consistent with your check cash date and is how ATF estimates time.

-Jim

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    So, I just got off the phone with Chris Farris and was told that my suppressor submitted in March will be possibly approved by the end of the month. Her best guess on my form 1s from July was 6-9 months.

I told her that I was seeing reports of e-form 1s being processed in less than 3 months. I asked her why these were getting processed so much quicker and if it made sense to pull my form 1s and re-submit as e-form 1s. Chris told me that they were pulling random e-form filed to test the system and I would not be guaranteed to have my forms processed any faster then the traditional method.

Why am I not surprised? It really pisses me off that they would pull eforms to test the new system and not just process the older submissions first and then begin testing.

I thanked Chris for her time and said I appreciated her help. I guess I will just go ahead crack a beer and build a few AR pistols in the meantime.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    So, I just got off the phone with Chris Farris and was told that my suppressor submitted in March will be possibly approved by the end of the month. Her best guess on my form 1s from July was 6-9 months.

I told her that I was seeing reports of e-form 1s being processed in less than 3 months. I asked her why these were getting processed so much quicker and if it made sense to pull my form 1s and re-submit as e-form 1s. Chris told me that they were pulling random e-form filed to test the system and I would not be guaranteed to have my forms processed any faster then the traditional method.

Why am I not surprised? It really pisses me off that they would pull eforms to test the new system and not just process the older submissions first and then begin testing.

I thanked Chris for her time and said I appreciated her help. I guess I will just go ahead crack a beer and build a few AR pistols in the meantime.
    When it comes to NFA paperwork, you really have to have thick skin. Don't let it bother you and don't obsess over when you will get your stamp. It's always going to take longer than you want. You can be absolutely miserable waiting by the mailbox for months on end, or you can just say cest la vie and be excited when you are surprised with a Form in your mailbox.

-Jim

HUMONGO

Jan 23, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    When it comes to NFA paperwork, you really have to have thick skin. Don't let it bother you and don't obsess over when you will get your stamp. It's always going to take longer than you want. You can be absolutely miserable waiting by the mailbox for months on end, or you can just say cest la vie and be excited when you are surprised with a Form in your mailbox.

-Jim

No, you have the wrong mindset. That's the way it is, accept it?

Should we feel the same way about Shall Issue in MD?

It's beyond comprehension that it takes upwards of a year to process an "application for tax paid" after they cash the check. If it's the background check holding it up, why does a simple NICS check take all of 2 minutes?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    No, you have the wrong mindset. That's the way it is, accept it?

Should we feel the same way about Shall Issue in MD?

It's beyond comprehension that it takes upwards of a year to process an "application for tax paid" after they cash the check. If it's the background check holding it up, why does a simple NICS check take all of 2 minutes?

Don't know but if you only have about 12 people processing the entire country I am sure something will bottle neck. Federal employees equals leave, sick, holidays etc... And the paper work just keeps coming in. Similar to Maryland pre October 1. Not making excuses for these guys I would love to have a 2-3 month turnaround, but their system is obviously antiquated and no one in the government seems to want to revamp it. NFA items need a little more scrutiny too such as reading trusts, verifying addresses, sending errors back and fourth etc...

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Isn't the ATF supposed to be getting more people to process NFA forms? Or is that something that I imagined?

I'm waiting on a suppressor from early June. Projections say 9 months...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom