• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    I built a SBR on a Lower from Hendershot's here in Hagerstown. The ATF asked me to take a picture of the engraving and email it to them. Did they give you that option? If not I would contact them to see if they would accept. I think my SBR might have been the first they had received on a Hendershot's Lower because it was not on the drop down menu in E-forms.

The option was not given to me when I talked to the examiner this morning on the phone. He instructed me to resubmit my form and email him with the new and old control numbers. He said that it would take about a week to get the approval. I just received the approval email about 30mins ago!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The option was not given to me when I talked to the examiner this morning on the phone. He instructed me to resubmit my form and email him with the new and old control numbers. He said that it would take about a week to get the approval. I just received the approval email about 30mins ago!

This confuse me. I thought you did the engraving after receiving your stamp.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Control numbers are created by the efile and NFA system for tracking of the applications. They are not the serial number of the firearm.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Some people are eager beavers and do it before they get their paperwork. AFAIK, it simply needs to be before you turn it into a "real" SBR.

It's a lesson learned to engrave early, but more importantly to function check the lower.

It would be a shame if you had to mail the lower to be engraved and it was lost. Not as big a deal if a local guy botches the engraving and has to fix it somehow.

Also would suck to SBR a lower and then find out its out of spec and no worky.

I function check with a few hundred rounds, different mags etc. Then mailed it to Ident. Got it back, then did the efile.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Some people are eager beavers and do it before they get their paperwork. AFAIK, it simply needs to be before you turn it into a "real" SBR.
    IMO I think it's better to wait, gives you more options if for some reason you don't get approved...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    IMO I think it's better to wait, gives you more options if for some reason you don't get approved...
    If its not your first stamp, why would you not get approved? I've been denied once or twice for a small error but the resubmittal always went through.

I second the notion that you should do a function test if possible before submitting paperwork. I had some issues w/ my PTR32 that I worked out before efiling. I know someone who was going to anodize an 80% right after they machined it and did a bunch of decorative engraving. I talked them into firing it first. Good thing because they needed to tweak some things (front takedown pin pivot was a little too shallow when you flipped the gun open.) It would have driven them NUTS to have that exposed spot w/o anodize after all the other work that went into it.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    If its not your first stamp, why would you not get approved? I've been denied once or twice for a small error but the resubmittal always went through.

Crap happens, if there is a possibility of being denied (which there is), you should wait. Once it's in the hands of the government there is no predictability, period. Why engrave something early, and limit your options...... Just doesn't make sense to me, especially in MD......

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Today was a NFA Xmas

300BLK SBR - Form 1 Trust
    Pending 5-7
    Approved 9-2

22 Suppressor - Form 1 Trust
    Pending 5-8
    Approved 9-2

AAC 762-SDN-6 - Form 4 Trust
    Purchased 4-28
    Pending 5-5
    Approved 8-27
    Stamp Received 9-2

Last edited:

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Check cashed today 9/3/15 for a TacSol Axiom suppressor on a Form4 trust.

Thinking around x-mas time for this one give or take a week or two. Will have to wait and see.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom