• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am looking at putting together a custom AR kit. I will have a spare parts kit, magazines, BCG etc... for each caliber I am considering for the kit. Will make a custom carrier for it.

I am trying to keep this as light as possible. Keeping to that thought I was thinkig to keep the kit to three calibers. Thinking the AR will have one of them already assembled.

Here is the question: What calibers would you consider for this kit?

I was considering the following:

1) 5.56 (covers .223 as well)
    2) 7.62x39 (can shoot AK rounds)
    3) 9mm (One of the most popular ronds world wide)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Broken shell extractor in necessary calibers.
    Take down GI cleaning rod for hammering out stuck shells.
    Sight tools and mini tool kit. Bore illuminator.

If you are going to carry a spare AR BCG in the field then you can probably skip those parts and worry about the lower springs and pins. A broken pivot pin won't shut you down but a hammer pin will.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yep, I had planned to have a mini spare parts kit with pins and springs and such. Was thinging to have at least 1 BCG for each caliber. Cleaning kit will also be part of the kit. Trying to get as much in the kit as possible with as little weight as possible and cover the most popular probable calibers possible.

Once I have all the pieces I want I am going to design a carrier for it. Depending on the weight might make it MOLLE compatible and at least have a shoulder strap.

Dave

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Am I misunderstanding this? You can't just change calibers by swapping BCGs, you need the right barrel, too... and that's going to require tools.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Is this some kind of bug out kit? If it is, load up some mags with each of the above calibers and hike around with it. You'll probably drop the 9mm and AK rounds as they're significantly heavier than the .223.

BTW, since you mentioned ARs, DPMS makes a few kits that have commonly replaced parts on ARs. They have one called a field repair kit.

Jim

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Each cal would have an upper, bcg and 1-2 mags. Extra BCG for each. To change out all you would have to do is drop on the new complete upper for the new caliber.

Kid of a bug-out style kit but lets me go to ranges and on trips wih multipple calibers without having to look around for everything all the time.

Figured the uppers would weigh the most. That is why i am trying to keep the claibers to a minimum. only 203 of the most popular types

Dave

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Am I misunderstanding this? You can't just change calibers by swapping BCGs, you need the right barrel, too... and that's going to require tools.

You chage claibers by swapping complete uppers with BCGs and mags. Thats it. Or at least the idea behind this. Quick and easy.

Dave

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    The obvious solution to your problem is to get a LMT MRP and than just carry a bolt, magazines, and barrel along with the torque wrench. It'll be much lighter than carrying 2 extra complete uppers, bolt groups, and magazines.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You chage claibers by swapping complete uppers with BCGs and mags. Thats it. Or at least the idea behind this. Quick and easy.
    I'm still struggling with this - so you're talking about carrying around three different uppers? I don't even see how that's remotely realistic in a bug-out situation. Those things are heavy, and you'll have plenty of other stuff to carry.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I don't understand what you're trying to make... Are you putting together a Battle Kit for yourself? What do you mean by kit?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I am looking at putting together a custom AR kit. I will have a spare parts kit, magazines, BCG etc... for each caliber I am considering for the kit. Will make a custom carrier for it.

I am trying to keep this as light as possible. Keeping to that thought I was thinkig to keep the kit to three calibers. Thinking the AR will have one of them already assembled.

Here is the question: What calibers would you consider for this kit?

I was considering the following:

1) 5.56 (covers .223 as well)
    2) 7.62x39 (can shoot AK rounds)
    3) 9mm (One of the most popular ronds world wide)

The 9mm will need a block and full BCG. Also make sure the lower has a 9mm hammer (it will work with 5.56, but 5.56 hammers don't work as well with 9mm).

For the 7.62x39 I'd suggest 2 bolts (or one of really high quality)- skip the bolt carrier as it uses the same as the 5.5 (and they rarely go bad).

How many small parts are you considering carring? For how many rounds do you want to be able to support the rifle?

BTW don't forget a couple spare trigger/hammer pins. Lesser ones have been known to break on occasion and if they go out the gun is dead. They are small and light and can be a lifesaver.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    Why not just do 223 and 22LR, you'll only need a blowback 22 bolt kit. What you save in weight from not carrying all the other gear you can carry other gear that will serve a better purpose, and you'll save over 1k bucks for whatever other gear you 'really need'

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    .300 blackout- more performance than 9mm and uses the same bolt and mags but still performs well suppressed and subsonic
    6.5- more power for longer shots.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    First, uppers are not all that heavy. Especially if they are SBRs. There will probabyl only two in the kit at a time as one would be on the lower (yes it would be a registered SBR).

Spare parts would be minimum but picking calibers requiring minimum parts swap out. Swaping out uppers is much quicker then using a wrench to swap out barrels. Using a 9mm bolt that uses a standard AR hammer (stuff like that).

For this thread I was just wondering which calibers made the most sense for availability and versatility.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom