• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Who is shooting one and what are you shooting in it? My last gun I used 80 grains of 777 with a felt wad and 240 grain lee real on top of it and dead on. The same load and bullet is producing flyers and I can't even hit the target unless at 25 yards. I would prefer to cast my own as I always have done, but this gun is not liking this setup right now.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Is it 45 cal bullet? 240 grain is right around between 45 -50 REAL molds.
    I had to reduce main charge at times after casting some lee REAL bullets.
    But it was only in rifles that had been shot a ton and were made with shallow rifling.
    Sometimes I think it has to do with the hardness of the alloy and total number of area of the lands/groove number.
    CVA rifles in the past used to have relatively deep grooves.
    I'm not sure what their modern barrels are like becuase I dont have any of them.

I never had any real super accuracy issues at 25 yds either. Just a greater cone of dispersion at 100 yds. Nothing that would'nt prevent me from shooting them instead of melting them back down. A 240 gr bullet would almost be kind of short for combating the effects of bullet heating in proportion to powder column length too.
    On a Real bullet, the driving band is at the front, but a CVA should also have a QLA barrel to help keep it straight so you would think it would shoot pretty well from the start.

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Mine is a 50 and her is a 45. The grooves seem more inline with modern shallow grooves and it is not as deep as like my hawken. Maybe the soft lead is just stripping out being fired.

Looks like this thing is only going to fire sabots or copper jacket bullets, from what I see so far.

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I would try not using the wool wad and reduce the powder charge 10% especially in the 45 rifle.
    Make half a dozen shots and see what happens. 25 yards being a problem is kind of close though it seems.
    You see, I dont use any other powder other than Pyrodex RS except real BP even in my hunting rifles.
    Its because o I can get consistent seating pressure while loading.
    I do however use Pyro P in one of my target rifles and it happens to be a 45.
    I dont have anything against any of the other substitute powders its just what work for me so I dont find them necessary.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    What is the twist rate?
    1:22 I think. The other gun I had that blew up had deeper grooves. This one are more like my Bergara 30.06 barrel with raised lips for grooves. They sell it as the Bergara barrel, So it is made the same way and I think made for more modern projectiles. I think the soft lead is just stripping out. I mean at a 100 yards I can't hit a 2'x2' sign.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    1:22 I think. The other gun I had that blew up had deeper grooves. This one are more like my Bergara 30.06 barrel with raised lips for grooves. They sell it as the Bergara barrel, So it is made the same way and I think made for more modern projectiles. I think the soft lead is just stripping out. I mean at a 100 yards I can't hit a 2'x2' sign.
    For muzzle loaders that is a fast twist rate barrel meant for sabots or conicals. Remember the Greenhill Formula is about bullet length vs velocity.

If you want to shoot round balls in a "fast twist" barrel you need to slow the velocity i.e. reduced loads.

There is a good discussion and some good information about modern muzzleloaders twist rates here:

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Anyone shooting A CVA Accura? I cast 255 grain .452 bullets and tried them today in sabots with 80 grains and 70 grains of FF 777. I was having conflicting shoots trying to bring it in and then I missed the target, got closer and shot two more times and more just flying. I had 6 power belts from from years back and damn near shot a bulls eye with the first one. Do these guns only like copper jackets?

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Buddy just told me maybe not sizing them in the .452 die could have caused a problem, but I never sized reals. Maybe making inconsistent pressures. Maybe I'll try that in the spring. I got 5 Powerbelts for the December season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom