• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Has anyone had experience with CZ shotguns? I was at On Target by FT Meade the other day and a semiautomatic CZ shotgun caught my eye. The weight was nice and everything felt right with it but didn't want to buy one without checking in here first. Thanks in advance!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Unfortunately no, but if they are like the doubles they are just rebranded turkish shotguns (Huglu?)

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I have a Cz 712 Utility and I like it very much. The older 712 prior to 2013 had a few issues with not being able to cycle lighter loads and the piston rubber O ring was prone to get damaged during disassembly. The fix was to port the piston and add a lighter spring to cycle the action and have cheap spare O rings. Otherwise the Shotguns have proven to be reliable with those that have them.

The 2013 model I have has a captive O ring design and CZ made sure Huglu got it right as it can cycle almost any load and is a lot less ammo picky.
    The build quality is good and the finish is just fine as far as I can tell. If there was any one thing I can pick on is the cheap plastic butt stock which I replaced with a wood and plan to Duracoat it.

I have since put over 40 slugs though it and it cycles without any problems and I don't expect any since they are getting to be popular with three gun competition as a cheap alternative.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Has anyone had experience with CZ shotguns? I was at On Target by FT Meade the other day and a semiautomatic CZ shotgun caught my eye. The weight was nice and everything felt right with it but didn't want to buy one without checking in here first. Thanks in advance!
    Yeah, they don't make them; and if it is a 712 the gas system is similar to an SLP.

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Yep, the CZ 712 Utility was the one I looked at. I actually prefer the synthetic stock over the wood myself (easy maintenance). I watched a youtube video of Tom Knapp using one in a exhibition shoot and it was pretty impressive. Seems good value for a semi auto. It also takes a number of other makers extension tubes. This is on my Christmas list for sure. Thanks guys

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, the CZ 712 Utility was the one I looked at. I actually prefer the synthetic stock over the wood myself (easy maintenance). I watched a youtube video of Tom Knapp using one in a exhibition shoot and it was pretty impressive. Seems good value for a semi auto. It also takes a number of other makers extension tubes. This is on my Christmas list for sure. Thanks guys

As I mentioned above, I did not like the cheap synthetic butt sock it came with because it did not feel substantial. Soon as I replaced it with a wood stock it felt better balanced and higher quality over all.
    Either way it does feel and function like a quality firearm and I would not hesitate to purchase especially when you have CZ USA backing it up. I talked briefly with the CZs shotgun gunsmith and he is quiet knowledgeable about the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom