• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sfisher007

Dec 17, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Hey all, I'm in the process of purchasing my first handgun. I haven't gone to the range to shoot a bunch of different weapons yet, but I've visited a couple of dealers and put my hands on Glocks, S&Ws, Rugers, Springfield, CZs, etc.

Obviously, everyone here seems to have their go to manufacturer (the Glock guys seem to be the most passionate and the CZ guys can't stop raving about the accuracy). Based on the feel, I think I've narrowed it down to the Glock 17 and a CZ-75 variant (I want to pull the triggesr, before I pull the trigger), but I'm not sold on any yet.

I figure, if I get my hands on these guns to try them out, they will probably have fired a number of rounds through them (rentals with thousands of rounds). My question is this...I've seen a number of guys allude to a trigger issue with the CZ that goes away after 500+ rounds, but have never been able to find anyone say what the issue actually is. For a novice handgun guy like myself, will I be able to tell? I've not seen anything related to other manufacturers with similar break-in issues. Do other guys have similar issues with other manufacturers?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My cz came pre broken in thanks to a member here and it's quickly become my favorite hand gun. The way they feel, the accuracy, and the all steel construction are winners in my book.

The only downfall I see is that it's a tiny bit harder to breakdown then the glock. If this thing is going to be a target and hd pistol I'd have no problem saying get a cz.

The triggers come a little stiff but with some snap caps or a fun range trip......problem solved. Do not constantly dry fire your cz.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    My cz came pre broken in thanks to a member here and it's quickly become my favorite hand gun. The way they feel, the accuracy, and the all steel construction are winners in my book.

The only downfall I see is that it's a tiny bit harder to breakdown then the glock. If this thing is going to be a target and hd pistol I'd have no problem saying get a cz.

The triggers come a little stiff but with some snap caps or a fun range trip......problem solved. Do not constantly dry fire your cz.

Explain please.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There is a theory I'd rather not test that cz firing pins break after constant dry firing.

I think it can be attributed to the fact that the 52 doesn't like to be dry fired and does have problems with breakage with dry fire. While I am sure it's 60% myth it's not a theory I want to test. CZ admitted back in the day that they had issues with this and to the best of my knowledge some of the older models actually came with a snap cap.

I'm sure the newer ones are fine but better to be safe then sorry.

BTW it seems to be more associated with the pre B models.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Whats the trigger issue, I noticed that mine has a little bit of slap on hotter ammo, I havent noticed this on other guns but I also had shot over 1000 rounds across a couple guns that day so I may have just have been getting sensitive (finger fatigue!) . Not bad but more than I would expect, its not an omega trigger.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My CZ's trigger was decent out of the box. Some seem a little "crunchy" when they are factory fresh. I'm looking for either a new longslide or a tactical for my next competition gun where I know double-taps are on tap.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Alas when I had my CZ clone , it was also prebroken in . Used to be considered SOP that every autopistol was allowed a breakin period.

Comes down to personal/ philosopic preference of traditional DA/SA vs Safe Action and Steel vs Plastic.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They are both fine pistols and either will serve you well. I've noticed new CZ's seem to sometimes have a bit of a stiff trigger, but still a very smooth one.

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I am currently impatiently sitting through my waiting period before I can pickup my CZ75b. I don't claim to be anywhere near a trigger expert, but in my small amount of testing in the store, I don't think the trigger was bad. My current plan is to put some wear on a snap cap and then possibly do some light polishing if needed.

The "Original CZ Forum" has a lot of information. Here are a couple of threads I found useful.

Smoothing the Action

Trigger work--CGWs vs CZ Custom. Difference?

I'll post when I get to shoot my new CZ75b.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    There is a theory I'd rather not test that cz firing pins break after constant dry firing...
    The older models...I don't know. The modern models (75B series) are OK. The issue is potentially with the firing pin retainer roll pin, not the firing pin itself. The roll pin also stops forward motion of the firing pin if a primer is not present and can eventually be damaged/broken by dry firing excessively without snap caps. As long as decent snap caps are used for dry firing, no damage is done.

I have several CZ-75B variants (75B Compact, PCR, P-01s, SP-01 Tacticals) and the off the shelf trigger is the one thing I'd really like to see improved. Otherwise, great handguns with a lot of features I like. The triggers are typically very rough when new, but they do smooth out comsiderably in the first few hundred rounds. They can be worked on to provide a very good feel, but they will never be a clean as a good 1911 trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom