• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Okay... I am not a big fan of the .40 caliber round. As a result I do not own any .40's... I did, but sold them. I am now rethinking ownership because students like to compare calibers when I teach a basic pistol class and there is a huge hole in the collection with no .40's.

My question is.... I am looking for a heavier or gun with good ergonomics to counter act the "snappy-ness" of the .40 round. I am looking at CZ firearms as I really like their ergonomics and their quality IMO is very good.

Does anyone have any experience with the CZ-75 in .40 or a CZ P-06 in .40?
    Looking for feedback about how the gun feels when shooting. How snappy is the round compared to other guns?

I have owned/tried and XD, Sig, Berretta, and Glock. They are good guns but I am SPECIFICALLY looking for feedback on the CZ models.

Also... If anyone is looking to sell... PM me... :)

Thanks -
    Chris

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The alleged "snappiness" of the .40 is due to gun manufacturers converting a pistol designed for the 9mm to shoot the heavier, higher pressure .40 cartridge. If you want to enhance the snappiness, that CZ would be a good candidate. So would the other pistols you listed. The only pistol I know of that was designed around the .40 is the S&W 4006.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There might still be one in the classifieds, it used to be mine and it was a great gun. Accurate as hell and the best feeling pistol I EVER grabbed. If it wasn't in 40 I never would have sold it.

I really can't say one bad thing about it except the caliber.

What specifically would you like to know? Gun was fantastic!

http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=16630

Seller is a good dude too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If there is one still in the classifieds grab it, I sincerely thought about it myself.

CZ's in .40 are pretty uncommon, out there and catalog, but not made in near the numbers as the 9mm which is what the CZ was built for and the most common export caliber.

That said I have always wanted one in .40, probably wont be able to snag one before 10/1 (settled for a Sig 2022 that I got for insanely small bucks) as CZ ergonomics are fantastic and it isnt that much "snappier" than hotter 9mm to handle in a full size gun.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I believe the USP was built specifically for the 40s&w. Then came the 9mm USP. The 45 acp was the last caliber to be introduced into the USP line. I believe there may even be a .357sig USP after the 45. I have always enjoyed mine. It is very accurate and I find it pleasant to shoot.

The Sig P229 was also developed specifically for the 40 S&W. Later their .357Sig was added as an optio for the 229. This explains the robust built of the slide as compared to he P228. Being a compact I found the 229 very controllable and easy to shoot. As with the .357 Sig variant of the 229.

You can't go wrong with any of these two choices in my opinion.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I believe the USP was built specifically for the 40s&w. Then came the 9mm USP. The 45 acp was the last caliber to be introduced into the USP line. I believe there may even be a .357sig USP after the 45. I have always enjoyed mine. It is very accurate and I find it pleasant to shoot.

The Sig P229 was also developed specifically for the 40 S&W. Later their .357Sig was added as an optio for the 229. This explains the robust built of the slide as compared to he P228. Being a compact I found the 229 very controllable and easy to shoot. As with the .357 Sig variant of the 229.

You can't go wrong with any of these two choices in my opinion.

You are right, despite my love of CZ ergos, Sig 226 or 229 in .40 work great. My 226 is one of my favorite guns and I switch it out between .40, 9mm, .22 and .357 routinely.

BTW I just looked in the classifieds didnt see the CZ75 B in .40 but saw a very nice RAMI not the greatest thing for comfortable target shooting but a very tempting gun. Personally Id prefer 9 just for interchangability but the seller's price is reasonable.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    If you are looking for a .40 cal pistol, try a SR40C. Eventhough it's a light weight sub compact gun, the snappiness isn't there at all- actually slightly more than my 9 (SR9C). When I come to Cresap next time, I'll bring the Ruger w/ me so you'll see what I am talking about.

I have owned the CZ75B 40 before and the weight really helps absorbing the recoil- eventually it was kinda boring shooting it.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Great Feedback Everyone!
    Thank you.

I may also consider a 229 in .40 based off of popularity.

Chris

I have the USP compact in 40 and the 229 in 40. 229 is much easier to shoot. I can transition from my 228 in 9mm to the 229 and I don't notice much of a difference. The USPC is nice dont get me wrong but for me, the 229 is hard to beat.

I've shot the Jherico Baby Eagle in 40 and I hear it is a copy of the CZ 75. Did not care for it. Now, the CZ 75 9mm, that's a sweet gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom