• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoops

Apr 30, 2022
    Montgomery County
    Recently acquired a CZ457 Varmint in 22LR. Looking for a scope primarily for target shooting (50 yds to 150 yds). Up to $500 or so price range. Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have the same rifle. I have 2 barrels the 22lr and 17hmr. I put a Vortex Viper 4x16x50 on it. I love it. That scope is in your price range.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Edit: never mind. I didn't see that you were looking at $500.

I'll second the choice of going with a 4-16 power. You might also look at the Arken SH4 in 4-16. Right now they have a pretty killer deal running on it:

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    For purely target shooting with that (nice) rifle I'd recommend a scope with higher top magnification. For FFP scopes, think about looking at the Athlon's, Vortex's and Arken's that are 6-24X. You lose almost nothing useful on the low end (6X vs. 4X) but gain a lot on the top (24X vs. 16X). For pure target shooting at known distances like 50/100/150/200 yards you don't even really need a FFP scope, and would likely have your needs more than adequately met with a SFP scope, and you could go even higher on magnification for the same amount of $$$. (Benchrest target shooters typically us 36X to 60X scopes.)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For purely target shooting with that (nice) rifle I'd recommend a scope with higher top magnification. For FFP scopes, think about looking at the Athlon's, Vortex's and Arken's that are 6-24X. You lose almost nothing useful on the low end (6X vs. 4X) but gain a lot on the top (24X vs. 16X). For pure target shooting at known distances like 50/100/150/200 yards you don't even really need a FFP scope, and would likely have your needs more than adequately met with a SFP scope, and you could go even higher on magnification for the same amount of $$$. (Benchrest target shooters typically us 36X to 60X scopes.)
    I see where you're going with that - I'm thinking that when he said that range was going to be 50-150, it would mostly be 50-100. Is there a big benefit to the higher magnification at the shorter ranges? Maybe - I know you can see your shots hit at the shorter ranges, but 16x magnification would likely be enough for 50-100.

My main rifle scopes right now are 24x and 25x - both Arken. I like both of them a lot. Maybe more than a lot - they both do the job very very nicely, but I think that if I was going to set up a 22LR, I'd probably get the 4-16x50.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Hawke makes a few that specific to caliber and velocity; I've shot my 4-12 out to 225 yards simply using the BDC and it's pretty much dead on.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have an Arken SH4 on center fire and a Hawke on my 457 MTR 22lr. The Hawke is Frontier 34. I like them both a lot. The Hawke may have a little better glass but it does cost more. I can see my shots at 300yds with the Arken fine though. 30 cal holes.

Both are bench type scopes since they are large and heavy, so just fine from bench or pod.

e7ea0e82c5b063bca062d460e8444920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    trickg: Try not turning your scopes past 16X for a period of time. I would bet you'll quickly be itchin' to go back up. For a 22LR I prefer my (now discontinued) Athlon HELOS 8-34X for all lot testing at 50 yards because of the higher 34X over my 6-24X HELOS or Strike Eagle, although I am rarely even as high as 20X in rimfire competition.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    trickg: Try not turning your scopes past 16X for a period of time. I would bet you'll quickly be itchin' to go back up. For a 22LR I prefer my (now discontinued) Athlon HELOS 8-34X for all lot testing at 50 yards because of the higher 34X over my 6-24X HELOS or Strike Eagle, although I am rarely even as high as 20X in rimfire competition.
    This conversation has unfortunately been another bug that bit me - I bought a 10/22 that's just kinda been sitting for a while. I think I've had it to the range a total of twice in the 10-12 years I've had it. Now I'm thinking:

upgrade trigger group
    match grade fluted or carbon fiber barrel
    upgrade stock
    rail for the top of the receiver
    aaaaand.....

a scope. :D

Arken is selling their SH4s pretty cheap these days. I already have one and it's pretty dandy, but I might look into getting something else. In any case, I don't disagree - I like having as much magnification as possible, because you can't shoot it if you can't see it, right?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    This was at 50 and with my 17hmr barrel last time I shot the gun. The center shots were getting it zeroed in. Hitting dimes at 50yds. and quarters at 100yds.
    IMG_3472.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Keep us posted on what you wind up going with. It seems like the default response anymore when someone is asking about what scope to get, the cheer from the crowd is invariably, "get a Vortex...."

I think Vortex has a pretty good thing going - they have something for almost everyone at every budget level, and they also have a solid customer service and warranty reputation. I've been told (I have not actually experienced this myself) that if you have an issue with Vortex it's as simple as taking it to an authorized Vortex dealer - in my case it would be the Bass Pro at Arundel Mills, just 10-15 minute from the house - turning it over, and getting a brand new scope in the box, provided they have one in stock.

I don't yet own a Vortex, which is probably due to a flaw in my personality where I can't really "go with the flow," so to speak. However, there are a bunch of cool options from Vortex. Before I bought my last two Arkens, I was *this* close to getting the Vortex Venom for my build. That or the Strike Eagle - I was able to get either one through ExpertVoice, one of the Mil Discount vendors. The Venom would have been a touch over $400, and the Strike Eagle would have been just under $600.

The main reasons I didn't?

1. My aforementioned character flaw where I just feel like I have to be different.
    2. Lots of YouTube videos that were SxS comparisons of the Arkens with so many other scopes - primarily the Venom, but others as well. The Arken EP5 - one of the two I ended up buying - did quite well against a NightForce 5-15 ATACR. Was it better? No - we're talking less than $600 vs $3500 - I wouldn't expect it to fully rival the NightForce. However, it acquitted itself quite well, especially for the price.

Something to look at - it's the first of two comprehensive SxS looks at the Arken EP5 vs the Night Force ATACR.

In hindsight, I think I'd have been perfectly happy with a Vortex Venom - seems to review very very nicely pretty much everywhere I've looked.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I went with a Vortex Venom. It has all the right features for me. Including price. List is around $600.00 but sale price is closer to $400.00. I paid about that.

I went down a big rabbit hole researching scopes. Then I went to a NRL22 competition and asked shooters and looked at what they are using.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I went with a Vortex Venom. It has all the right features for me. Including price. List is around $600.00 but sale price is closer to $400.00. I paid about that.

I went down a big rabbit hole researching scopes. Then I went to a NRL22 competition and asked shooters and looked at what they are using.

The one thing that seems to be a thing with Vortex scopes is comprised of two things; one of the first things that's touted is the company's customer service and warranty, and following close on the heels of that is someone's firsthand account of having something jacked with their Vortex scope and needing to make use of the warranty.

I might go with a Venom for this upcoming 10/22 build I now have an itch to do. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, and it nothing else, it would give me firsthand experience with both.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Just an FYI on Athlon's warranty and service: One of my Athlon HELOS scopes was recently damaged in a fall. I called them and admitted the damage was due to a fall. They said send it in. In about one week from when I sent the scope a new HELOS arrived at my door. They literally must have shipped the new scope the day they got my damaged scope. Pretty hard to beat that.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For 22LR I usually go with a Vortex 2-7X35 Diamondback rimfire, but if you want to go out to 150 yards, The Vortex 4-16X50 with adjustable objective I think works. Also, Leupold makes a nice 3-9X rimfire scope, but again, not enough for 150 yards IMHO.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll have to say; I initially went with 2-7X and 3-9X rimfire scopes (parallax set to 50 yards). More recently I have been setting up metal rimfire targets past the 100 yard line at AGC for my 22's. At that range, 7X has me wanting more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom