• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Dad dug out an old 22 revolver the other day that he's had stored away forever. It was my grandfathers apparently (he died in the 70's) so Dad has had it stored in for a while, at least since my grandfather's passing.

I can't find much about it. The only thing I know from calling around is it was under the Rossi name imported through Firearms Intl Corp in DC in the early 60's.

The thing is definitely an el-cheapo that's not worth anything, but I wonder if it is safe to test fire? It's in great shape as far as I can tell. The cylinder lines up to the barrel really well. I cleaned it (although it didn't really need cleaning, it was oiled and almost spotless to begin with) and dry fired it on an empty 22 case. The firing pin made an indent where it should, the cylinder rotated and locks.

Do you think since it is only a 22 there would be much danger in firing it? Or is it best just to leave it alone as a curiosity.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    Rossi was not noted for high quality, but the guns were generally safe. Keeping in mind normal safety guidelines including glasses, I would fire it with standard velocity ammo.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd agree with terry. I'd clean off the excess oil, make sure the barrel is clear and try it with standard ammo.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well, here it is. I suppose a 22 probably isn't high enough pressure to cause a catostrophic Kaboom (assuming the oil is cleaned out and the bore isn't blocked), but I just needed a reality check. It ain't worth losing a chunk of hand.

Attachments

• Rossi.jpg
      Rossi.jpg
      84.3 KB · Views: 325

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Nice old piece, you could always get Chad to check it out if you dont trust it enough. If you shoot it and you are right handed, shoot it with your left or vise versa. Either way, always nice to have a old family firearm.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    It's actually better quality than some here seem to think. Firearms International of D.C. was an importer of good, solid guns. They aren't paragons of beauty, but they work and are safe. Rossi still makes revolvers, I've owned two and had no real complaints. The only thing I could really bitch about was the finish. They're relatively inexpensive and a good value for the money. I'd have no problem loading it up and letting fly, but if you're the really cautious type, give it to a gunsmith to check out.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    you could take it to a gunsmith...or get/use a rifle vise and clamp it pointing down range and load one shell in it and tie a string to the trigger and fire it from a short distance...if you are real worried about it....revolvers are pretty stout...

I've got a H&R top break 5 shot revolver that my great great grandfather carried in the 1880s and 90s. It's a 38 cal. and I shoot it quite often. It used to be nickel plated but now it's mostly polished steel. Not that accurate but then it never was from what I'm told but a good servicable weapon. It takes .38 S&W but was designed for .38 black powder ammo. I still have some black powder ammo for it.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I took it out last night and it functioned fine. It did not blow up in my hand, which is nice. However, I can't seem to reliably hit a human vitals size target more than 15 feet away with it, but what can you do?

I noticed one funny thing about it, every once in a while, it throws a bullet downrange side ways.?? It has rifling in the barrel, but the barrel is only about 1.5 inches, do you think that is just what happens in a cheap revolver with a very short barrel?

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Check for lead shavings under the cylinder. If there are, your cylinder is not lining up with the barrel on those sideways firings. Take it to a gunsmith.

You should have seen one of the 22lr revolvers that a guy bought at the last Cochran Auction in Boonsboro the cylinder didn't line up with the barrel at all and the guy was going to shoot it! I had to explain to him why that might not be a good idea. :rolleyes:

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    Really short barrels may not stabilize a relatively heavy round. I noticed the same thing with my Ruger Single Six when shooting some Aguila 60grain sub sonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom