DC Reciprocity of any kind & DD214 training waver over course?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Hey gang - I have been scouring the form and the web to see the best course of action for the ability to concealed carry in DC. I know the rules about where you can carry just not what it takes to get the magic permit. I do have the following: Maryland resident, Pennsylvania NR, Virginia NR, Florida NR, Utah NR, New Hampshire NR already. It's just that DC and their website is as clear as mud.

Do I take the class or is the DD214 good like in MD? If needing to take the class is there any recommendation of one in the upper Montgomery or Frederick City area that is good?

Thanks much.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    DC publishes a roster of certified training instructors, I believe who ever you choose, MUST be on that list.

https://mpdc.dc.gov/node/1069042

I've had a DC carry permit for two renewals. I am not aware of a DD214 waiver. While DC does not facilitate complete online submission (I believe you must go there for prints).

But more important, ANY pistol you carry in DC must be regustered in DC (a seperate process) and you must have that registration card with your carry permit!

I hope this helps.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Thank you! That is very helpful. I do see that a few listed have expired (list may not be updated). Can you or any recommend an instructor up this way Frederick area? Also, I don't know for sure but in DC with your registered weapon are you limited to "only" ten round magazine and max one in gun and one extra? This seems really crazy to me.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thank you! That is very helpful. I do see that a few listed have expired (list may not be updated). Can you or any recommend an instructor up this way Frederick area? Also, I don't know for sure but in DC with your registered weapon are you limited to "only" ten round magazine and max one in gun and one extra? This seems really crazy to me.
    The 10 round mag limit is still in effect, but the 1 reload policy has been abolished.

You can carry as many 10 round mags as you can fit in your pockets, or on your batman belt.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Also, to correct myself, I believe you must have a handgun registered in DC, before they will grant a carry permit in DC.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Holy holsters Robin! Where do I get my Arnold Terminator belt to hold 100 ten round assault clips? :gun7::gun3::D
    With regard to the register gun before licenses how do you do that without bringing the weapon down? Cart/Horse?
    As aways, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Not sure about DD214, but active duty with a current range card gets all training requirements waived.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The 10 round mag limit is still in effect, but the 1 reload policy has been abolished.

You can carry as many 10 round mags as you can fit in your pockets, or on your batman belt.
    Just go Chewbacca bandolier loaded with 10 round mags... :D

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Also, to correct myself, I believe you must have a handgun registered in DC, before they will grant a carry permit in DC.
    The permit process includes registration of one gun, can be done together. No longer required to bring the actual gun to register. ANY gun you carry must be registered, one free w/permit and I believe $13 for each additional gun if you want to register more than one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What I think Ismee is trying to communicate is that if you apply for Carry Permit with Zero handguns registered to you in DC , it would be rejected .

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Keep in mind that even if you are able to be exempt from the training, you still need to take a DC law course. There is no exemption for that. George Lyon offers an online class.
    Not what Metro PD told me. But I’ll put it to the test soon and provide my feedback.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Not what Metro PD told me. But I’ll put it to the test soon and provide my feedback.
    You can get 5 different answers from 3 people down there depending on the day.

Last time this came up the former Lt. in charge was giving an active duty special mission unit guy a hard time about being exempt from just the range requirements. Range card and round count were asked for.

DD-214 used to only be valid if issued within the last 2 years. Maybe they changed that too.

To my knowledge no one (active duty or retired) has been exempted from the law part.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You can get 5 different answers from 3 people down there depending on the day.

Last time this came up the former Lt. in charge was giving an active duty special mission unit guy a hard time about being exempt from just the range requirements. Range card and round count were asked for.

DD-214 used to only be valid if issued within the last 2 years. Maybe they changed that too.

To my knowledge no one (active duty or retired) has been exempted from the law part.
    Well range card is what they told me, so that makes sense.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Do they even know what a "range card" looks like? I mean reeeally? Just say'n.
    You and I both know that answer is no.

I haven’t had the time (nor really the need) but it’s on my list of things to do hopefully within the next month. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom