• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b-troll

FNG
    Sep 16, 2012
    Piney Orchard
    I was in the drive thru at the Severn Chick-fil-a at about 930 tonight when they pulled into a parking space. I noticed their MDshooters sticker on the back window of their F-150.

A man and a lady I assume was his wife and two children hopped out of the cab and waved thank you as they crossed in front me to walk into the restaurant.

The son held the door for his mother and sister. He then noticed that he had a gatorade bottle in his hand that he would have prefered to leave in the truck. He asked his dad, "Hey Dad, may I put this back in the truck?" His dad shook his head no and gestured for him to come into the restaurant.

This display of simple courtesy amongst each other and to me left an impression. I'm proud to be a member of this organization that has members that raise polite children and spare a simple wave to strangers as a measure of courtesy.

Thanks.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    Truly a shame more parents do no raise their childern with those style manners anymore that when they do, it stands out so much. Kudos to those parents and to you for noticing.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    On Saturday, I saw a teen eating at a restaurant with his folks. The bastard had head phones in the entire time and was listening to music. My dad would have smashed my iPod if I did that.

jwhite407

Always Packing
    Jan 31, 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore
    Isn't it a coincidence that children raised in families that respect firearms also respect their elders, have common courtesy engrained in them, as well as manners? Yeah, I don't think so either.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    The courtesy wave has slowly become a thing of the past. I ALWAYS thank someone who allows me to pull out in front of them or change lanes. I've noticed that maybe one out of ten people do this anymore.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The courtesy wave has slowly become a thing of the past. I ALWAYS thank someone who allows me to pull out in front of them or change lanes. I've noticed that maybe one out of ten people do this anymore.

Still pretty common on the eastern shore (except Kent Island :D).

Usually, a single finger slowly being raised from the steering wheel and a subtle head nod.

poppop02

Nov 14, 2012
    Severn
    I would say that common courtesy should be taught and caught in every home and have the school system support and re-enforce it rather then teach common core teach common courtesy. Doing this can and will change our society for the good.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    On Saturday, I saw a teen eating at a restaurant with his folks. The bastard had head phones in the entire time and was listening to music. My dad would have smashed my iPod if I did that.

What bothers me more is when I see adults with their faces buried in a gadget and not talking to their children.

The machines are going to destroy us as a society.

They are far too addictive and those who refuse to believe it are already addicted.

As for the OP, a nice story and family.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Their shameful and homophobic choice in dining aside...

I always feel like complementing the parents when children are polite to me. I've come to expect barely civility today from anyone, even people who desire my business.

I was pleased that recently, following a youth shooting event, one young couple had each of their children come over to all involved and thank each one personally.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Truly a shame more parents do no raise their childern with those style manners anymore that when they do, it stands out so much. Kudos to those parents and to you for noticing.
    :thumbsup:

What bothers me more is when I see adults with their faces buried in a gadget and not talking to their children.

The machines are going to destroy us as a society.

They are far too addictive and those who refuse to believe it are already addicted.

As for the OP, a nice story and family.

Their shameful and homophobic choice in dining aside...

I always feel like complementing the parents when children are polite to me. I've come to expect barely civility today from anyone, even people who desire my business.

I was pleased recently following a youth shooting event one young couple had each of their children come over to all involved and thank each one personally.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I like this post. Teaching children begins at home, and is lead by example. All the animals(lion, deer, ducks, etc) all show their young, how to behave by example. I am guilty of giving my oldest and my youngest( but soon to be my middle child, hopefully by this weekend), my phone or my wife's phone while dining out. Its not that kids are buried in technology, its sometimes when parents with younger children go out, we want some peace and quite, since we are spending our money, or do not want nasty looks from others because my kids are sometimes crazy; we just give them the games on our phones.:o But not while we are eating.

I totally agree that it is very nice to see a family that works together like that.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD

I was pleased that recently, following a youth shooting event, one young couple had each of their children come over to all involved and thank each one personally.

It is nice to see family values still being instilled in today children. It gives me hope that not all of this country will go to pot with each dying generation. I agree that I am shocked when a child exhibits manors. I expect it from my child but don't expect it in others. I was proud last night at chick-fil-a when a woman said to me is this your son? I was scared like oh crap what did he do ? She said you know you have the most polite boy I have ever met. He was sitting here in this booth and I didn't see him, I started to put my stuff down and he said, " I am sorry ma'am do you wish to sit here?" and before I could answer he had gotten up and moved to a different booth. I smiled I said well thanks for noticing and she smiled and I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and hugged him. It made me very proud. It's the little things.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I agree. Courtesy and good manners seem to be a thing of the past. It's great to see that it isn't completely dead.
    Notice where it was. It' my experience that the crowds at Chik-Fil-A are generally more courteous than other fast food joints.
    Go to McD's and if the cashier even makes eye contact, you'll be lucky to get two words from them.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County

Too many young people are uncourteous and disrespectful nowadays. Courtesy and respect go a long way; i remember my father taught me that you do not have to agree/accept people, but respect them.

My daughter has Autism, and I try very very hard to impart courtesy to her; i see kids all the time being horrible to their parents. I would have never dreamed of that growing up; it would have been certain death lol.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A nod to old Glen Burnie

I do commercial refrigeration repairs in retail stores all over the state ... one location always stands out for politeness when I am there working ... Dollar Tree in Glen Burnie, Ritchie Hwy just north of B&A Blvd. May be its just the people who shop at that store, but thank you, please, excuse me, holding the door and remarkably "Would you like to go in front of me?" seem to be the rule among the people who shop there. The neighborhood is ethnically diverse, but politeness is universal from school age kids, 20 somethings all the way to elderly.

I wish I could say the same for the neighborhood where I live.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    I grew up in a family where it was customary to hold doors for women--strangers and family. these days, it seems like whenever i hold the door for a woman (usually middle aged to elderly), they are extremely surprised. I guess its a thing of the past, now.

good job to the parents in the OP for teaching their kids how to be decent members of society.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I grew up in a family where it was customary to hold doors for women--strangers and family. these days, it seems like whenever i hold the door for a woman (usually middle aged to elderly), they are extremely surprised. I guess its a thing of the past, now.

good job to the parents in the OP for teaching their kids how to be decent members of society.

I hold the door for everyone, it's just the right thing to do. However, if they do not say thank you I say loudly "you're welcome". The look on their faces is priceless.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

I never hold doors for women. The message holding a door sends to the female hindbrain is that they are out of your league/there for them to trample on. This might not be true for women past their prime (you mention middle aged and elderly), but it is gospel for attractive women.

Last edited:

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County

Same thing happens to me, the surprise you see. The other day I gave an elderly customer I had a ride to the metro because we were closing up and it was raining real hard.

My boss told me I did the right thing; I told him thanks but that I didn't deserve praise. Doing the right thing should be normal, not special!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom