• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    I'm putting a new floor and railing on my deck, does anyone know what the county specs are for the railings? I'm in Balto. County. The deck i'm replacing is from 1986, so I think the specs may have changed.

how high should the railing be from floor to top cap overall? I'm at 39" now
    Space between pickets? I'm at 6" on center now,
    Space between top of floor and bottom of picket rail? I'm at 6'' now

Thanks, Rck

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I think it's 36" for height and no gap larger than 4" between pickets and between floor and bottom of the start of the railing structure.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm putting a new floor and railing on my deck, does anyone know what the county specs are for the railings? I'm in Balto. County. The deck i'm replacing is from 1986, so I think the specs may have changed.

how high should the railing be from floor to top cap overall? I'm at 39" now
    Space between pickets? I'm at 6" on center now,
    Space between top of floor and bottom of picket rail? I'm at 6'' now

Thanks, Rck

Rail caps should be at 36" from the top of floor surface. On stairs its usually 34/35" to about 38" (they give you some leeway) from the nosing of each tread. They usually also require a "grab rail" on stairs. A 2x2 smooth rail that the elderly and children can grasp. The ends of it need to be "closed" so that it is snag proof.

Space between pickets and and all parts of railings and stair stringers should be less than 4". Meaning a 4" ball (or child's head) wont fit throught it. You can use a piece of treated 2x4 (3 5/8th" typically) as a spacer between pickets and bottom rails as you fasten them. Alternatively you can fasten the pickets on 5" centers for a perfect 3 7/8th gap.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Legal may be 36" high top railing, but for safety, 42" is better.

The 36" standard comes from the International Residential Code and is to protect most adults. But in many countries, adults are shorter than in the US. The US code for workplace railings is 42" to protect 95% of adult American males.

Interestingly, Sweden, where people tend to be even taller, requires 47" railings on new construction. They changed their standard back in 2002-2003.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I would do the 42" high and 5" center then you are better then code so they don't even want to look.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Legal may be 36" high top railing, but for safety, 42" is better.

The 36" standard comes from the International Residential Code and is to protect most adults. But in many countries, adults are shorter than in the US. The US code for workplace railings is 42" to protect 95% of adult American males.

Interestingly, Sweden, where people tend to be even taller, requires 47" railings on new construction. They changed their standard back in 2002-2003.

I would do the 42" high and 5" center then you are better then code so they don't even want to look.

There is an important distinction between guard rails and handrails. 42 and 48" are too high for handrails, some children cannot reach them.

Also the IRC spec for 36" takes into account the materials being used on decks, including the lumber or composites and the spec'd fasteners. Longer pieces of lumber flex and deflect more, and are easier to break because of leverage. The leverage of a 4' railing post secured to a joist or rim board may be able to overcome the code aproved fasteners much easier than a 36" post. 46 pickets may deflect and break more easily or pull 2 1/2" screws out.

More isnt always "better" when it comes to building codes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IRC is not a deck standard. It does not apply to only wooden railings. It is ALL residential railings. So a concrete railing uses the same height standard.

The railing codes also specific a minimum force they must withstand against the top rail. 200 pounds or 91 kgs. So if you 42" high rail cannot withstand the 200 force, then it doesn't meet code.

36" is fine, if you don't mind tall adults who stumble against it from flipping over it. There is a reason the US standards for workplace railings is 42".

And we are talking the DECK RAILING, not the STAIR HANDRAILS. Stair handrails should be 34" high from the stair nose. But many codes require a fall protection railing at a higher level, with the lower hand rail height to hold on to. Hand rail codes also include minimum and maximum sizes (to be graspable) and spacing between the hand rail and any structure, to make sure you can get your fingers around it safely and easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom