Deeper Understanding of How the FBI used Geofencing data to investigate January 6th Rioters

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Remember black rotary phones? Anyone want to go back to party lines...

We no longer use them but still have 2 rotary phones. I kept one hooked up in my bedroom for years just to show the kids how phones used to work. 3 rooms in our house still have the old 4 prong plug in phone jack.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Fake GPS doesn’t fool Google servers nor 911 call centers.

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    The phone was in airplane mode, so only location data was from GPS. The phone uploaded the cached data after it went back online, something I didn't know it would do

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I bet many people here know someone who attended the rally and your name is in that person's phone. There might even be some texts between you and that person along the lines of "FJB" or "Pelosi is a witch" or some such. I wonder if that gets added to your domestic terrorist profile?
    FJB
    Pelosi is a witch
    (just in case they overlooked me).

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I remember talking to a work associate a few years back.
    They went to a Trump rally in DC in Dec (?) 2020,, they said cell service crashed, to many people in one area for the cell towers to handle.

Talking to a friend who works in DC (architect),, he noted that is nice of DC to bring in a bunch of "mobile cell tower trailers" and place them around DC to handle the overload on Jan 6th. He mentioned this Jan 5th.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just listen to yesterday’s episode of the Dan Bongino show and he cites this weird article that I linked in the original post.

His opinion on the story is that it’s proof that the FBI was investigating people in search of a crime as opposed to investigating a crime in search of the perpetrators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Really, if you wear your digital leash in your pocket and drive your digitally connected vehicle to town and post on the internet ANYWHERE about the things you do... how can you say you expect privacy? It isn't right, but it's true. Folks need some radical acceptance of reality.

Heard somewhere that the investigation of white supremacy was the fed's biggest investigation EVER. Don't know if it's true.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I attended an OSINT training class that went into this kind of stuff. It's shocking the amount of information that can be obtained. It's even more shocking the amount of publicly available databases and app's that can be used to track someone. When i left, i immediately wanted to throw my phone in the bay.
    Just sat through a similar brief yesterday at work on the topic.
    Avg person's cell phone has five "radios" transmitting at all times.
    - Cell service
    - GPS
    - Wifi
    - Bluetooth
    - NFC (near-field communication) enables contactless payments

All sorts of digital dust and debris waiting to be scooped up

If people only knew......

Last edited:

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Just sat through a similar brief yesterday at work on the topic.
    Avg person's cell phone has five "radios" transmitting at all times.
    - Cell service
    - GPS
    - Wifi
    - Bluetooth
    - NFC (near-field communication) enables contactless payments

All sorts of digital dust and debris waiting to be scooped up

If people only knew......

GPS is receive only but other that that, yup. Always amazed at what people share both willingly and unknowingly.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    GPS is receive only but other that that, yup. Always amazed at what people share both willingly and unknowingly.
    A lot of people have gps enabled on apps and it’s transmitting their position. At least that’s what they put out at the brief. DIA has an unclassified handbook for civilians on it but I couldn’t find a link to it online.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just checked the battery on my backup phone. I take keep it in my emergency bag in my car. I remove the sim card and keep the battery disconnected at all times. The last time I charged it was back in July and it still shows almost full charge.

c06258d3a0ac10b85f81bb799cf68739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I just checked the battery on my backup phone. I take keep it in my emergency bag in my car. I remove the sim card and keep the battery disconnected at all times. The last time I charged it was back in July and it still shows almost full charge.

It is probably good, but keep in mind Lithium batteries get weird at end of life.

I'm only assuming it's an old battery because of the type of phone... but old lithium batteries can show normal discharge for a few minutes and then suddenly drop off a cliff... like 90% to 0% in seconds. The 100% reading can be an illusion.

I tend to keep electronics for a long time and see that happen frequently.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    It is probably good, but keep in mind Lithium batteries get weird at end of life.

I'm only assuming it's an old battery because of the type of phone... but old lithium batteries can show normal discharge for a few minutes and then suddenly drop off a cliff... like 90% to 0% in seconds. The 100% reading can be an illusion.

I tend to keep electronics for a long time and see that happen frequently.

This phone is only about a year old. You can buy them at wallmart for $19. However I agree with your statement that old Li batteries can sometimes show full charge but only last a fraction of their stated capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom