• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Title says it all. For this year's deer firearms season what firearm are you shooting or considering for the lineup? Pretty much a thread for showing the deer guns some love.

I hunt bottleneck territory in the state. This year, I am considering the following three rifles. Two have taken deer, one has not yet. For most of my hunts, shots will likely be inside 45-50 yards, so I am leaning toward the CVA .44 Mag that cost me less than $1 when I won it NIB on Bud's auction site when they still did penny auctions a couple of years ago. It has not taken a deer yet, but seems well suited to that end. If I end up doing any public land hunting later in the season, I'll switch it up to the the Scout or the .30-06.

CVA Hunter (.44 Mag)
    CVA Hunter.jpg

Ruger Scout (.308)
    Ruger Scout.jpg

Ruger American (.30-06)
    Ruger American.jpg

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    you have some nice guns for deer hunting there, I think I will take out the 30-06 pump

I hunt PA not Harford which is straight wall/shotgun only

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Straightwall/shotgun county here. Will be either my 450 Bushmaster AR, or an H&R 12 ga Ultra Slug Hunter.

Could try my new 350 Legend, but I like my deer DRT - especially since I typically hunt my own property and I wouldn't want to have to recover a deer from my liberal neighbor's property.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Being a MoCo guy, I hunted with shotguns for a while. Then, I got a decent ML and did the one shot-one kill thing for a few years. Eventually, the Savage 220 came along and changed everything. Now, I hunt in Fredneck County and can hut with a rifle. Up til now, I have continued to use my 220 and my AR blk, as my shots are mostly less then 150 yards. Recently, I have rediscovered my Weatherby 30-06 and have decided to use that in Fredneck County. I found ammo that it really likes.(upper left corner)

1000000916.jpg

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    In a non-straight wall area, my Rem 600 on 6mm rem and Marlin 336 30-30 are my goto.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Well I have an old ragged out 870 that’s killed dump trucks full of deer and an h &r ultra in 12 guage that’s a tack driver BUT I just, and I mean Friday night, purchased a Ruger American ranch in 350 legend that I am signing in tomorrow and if she’s good to go I think I will try her this year. If not maybe one of my 44 lever guns.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    My son got his first deer this year with a 350 legend. After butchering the deer and seeing the damage I am very impressed with the 350 legend round.

TD

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My plan was to use my Dad’s guns in all seasons this year. He passed away suddenly in August and now my brother and I have all of his guns.

If I stay in Baltimore County on my small lease, I’ll use his 870 12 gauge with cantilever slug barrel, or the Henry single shot 450 Bushmaster I gave him back in the spring that I won in a raffle. I’ll need to sight this one in between now and Saturday though, which isn’t very likely to happen.

If I get in some rifle territory, I’ll probably use his prized Remington 742, 308 Win, high-grade finishes with the basket-weave stock treatments. This was his baby, and I’d like to bag a deer with it in his honor. I’ve always loved this rifle, and when my brother and I split up the collection, he said this was the only gun he really hoped he’d be able to keep (it’s his now...).

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    H&R 20ga USH with Thumb-hole stock and 20" barrel.
    Rubber knee pad check rest, 2-7x32 Nikon slug scope.
    This combo has worked for me for over 15 years and never failed to give me,,

I did buy a Henry 44 mag "X",, but have not spent the range time to give me the confidence to replace the USH

DSCN9084.JPG

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm using a short M700 in .243 with light bullets this time. Hunting sikas in the marsh and want instant results even if I can't get a head shot.

green bastard

Sep 26, 2013
    White Marsh
    I have been using my S&W 300 Win mag for over 30-years, but I will only take lung shots. If I don't frame a lung shot then I won't hit the play button because there is too much damage if hit anywhere else. I've never had to track the buck more than 10-15 yards after the kill shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom