Delinking Belted Ammo: Anyone Know Tips/Tricks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it can be linked and delinked by hand (so, sort of not any different than loading into an M1 Garand clip). So you just pull each cartridge out of the link.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If the ammo comes in ammo cans you're in business.

Since the ammo is quai delinked so far, which is great as far as MD law in concerned.

The proceedure I follow:
    open can
    pull belts from can
    close can
    grab a belt, press base of the cartridge against a flat portion of the can (namely somewhere around a corner), repeat until all ammo is delinked.

It takes me about an hour for 1000 rounds, give or take.

oather

Oct 19, 2009

Since the ammo is quai delinked so far, which is great as far as MD law in concerned.

The proceedure I follow:
    open can
    pull belts from can
    close can
    grab a belt, press base of the cartridge against a flat portion of the can (namely somewhere around a corner), repeat until all ammo is delinked.

Gotcha. That seems kind counter-intuitive to me since it seems like that by doing that you'd be moving the link to the larger section of the case. However, it makes sense because you certainly wouldn't want to put pressure on that bullet.

oather

Oct 19, 2009
    JGsales.com has a good deal, plus if you do not want the aggrevation of delinking the ammo yourself, JGsales will do it for $5 more.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...rds-in-ammo-can-/cPath/12_43/products_id/4371

I did see that. However that brings the cost up to $80 for 160rnds, which is nearly $15 more than Copes or Classicarms has it for. Plus if I want to order 4-5 cases thats an extra $60-$75 on the order, with which I could buy another 160rnds if I delink it myself.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I did see that. However that brings the cost up to $80 for 160rnds, which is nearly $15 more than Copes or Classicarms has it for. Plus if I want to order 4-5 cases thats an extra $60-$75 on the order, with which I could buy another 160rnds if I delink it myself.

I hear ya, that's why I delinked myself also.

Once you jump into the delinking process, you will find what's best for you.

If you get a pearl of wisdom that makes the process easier, please share. :thumbsup:

oather

Oct 19, 2009
    I hear ya, that's why I delinked myself also.

Once you jump into the delinking process, you will find what's best for you.

If you get a pearl of wisdom that makes the process easier, please share. :thumbsup:

Will do. Thanks for the jump-start.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    it's not hard to de-link it by hand, and once you hold some you will easily see how to do it/how easy it is. A bit tedious with large amounts, but not difficult.

go for it!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    This is my favorite de-lilnker. ;)

Attachments

• 1919a4.jpg
      1919a4.jpg
      116.8 KB · Views: 278

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland

The proceedure I follow:
    open can
    pull belts from can
    close can

What does Maryland Law have to do with it?
    I've searched for anything related to linked ammunition, and can't find a thing regarding it.
    Could you explain how linked ammunition presents a legal issue in MD? Maybe point out the statute?
    The only thing I can think of that you MAY be referring to is magazine restrictions, but links are not a magazine.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I just delinked a whole bunch of Hirt... some may cringe at the idea of pushing a cartridge out by its nose, but it doesn't take much force and is easier than trying to catch the rim. I set a soft pine board on the bench with a small hole in it (for the nose, to hold it steady). Flip the belt over and push down using the links on either side as leverage. Pops right out the back.

I've tried a couple different methods and this is the fastest. FWIW AIM actually has a video showing someone doing this... again it's probably not for the squeamish but I haven't had any problems with it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What does Maryland Law have to do with it?
    I've searched for anything related to linked ammunition, and can't find a thing regarding it.
    Could you explain how linked ammunition presents a legal issue in MD? Maybe point out the statute?
    The only thing I can think of that you MAY be referring to is magazine restrictions, but links are not a magazine.

Linked ammunition in belts greater than 20 is considered hi-capacity.
    Md. Criminal. Law Code § 4-305(b).

If you purchase ammo where rounds are linked together in groups of 4, you are fine.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

If you purchase ammo where rounds are linked together in groups of 4, you are fine.

How is a belt consider a magazine?

I actually want someone to fabricate a 30 round stripper clip. Yes, totally impractical, but I want them to do it in MD and offer it for sale.

It probably would fail as you use it, but I want MSP to try to claim a clip is a magazine.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How is a belt consider a magazine?

I actually want someone to fabricate a 30 round stripper clip. Yes, totally impractical, but I want them to do it in MD and offer it for sale.

It probably would fail as you use it, but I want MSP to try to claim a clip is a magazine.

A large capacity magazine is any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than prohibited by the city or state.

You might find the following link an interesting read:

http://www.lcav.org/content/large_capacity_ammunition_magazines.pdf

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008

I'm with Mike on this one. That is a GROSS misinterpretation of the statute.
    While "magazine" is not actually defined in MD code, it has been defined elsewhere as a container used for the purpose of feeding ammunition into the chamber of a firearm.
    Simply being a feeding device (like a stripper clip... or my own hand) isn't enough... nor is simply being a container (in which case you could argue that buying a box of ammunition containing more than 20 rounds would be a violation of MD code :innocent0).

Since there is no state or federal prohibition... it must be legal.

Also keep in mind you CAN transport/own/use magazines with a capacity greater than 20 rounds in MD... you just can't buy/sell/assemble/receive/transfer them in state.
    So even assuming you COULD count links as a magazine, there is nothing stopping you from going out of state, getting the linked ammunition or magazine, and bringing it back home.

*I am not a lawyer. This in not legal advise. Blah blah blah...

Additional:
    I never heard of lcav.org until just now, but by looking at their site they seem like another anti-gun-rights group, in the same vein as the "Brady Bunch".
    In fact I looked at the article (which seems like nothing more than pro gun control propaganda), and the bit you are referring too, in regards to belt fed ammunition, was a provision of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, in particular Title XI, Subtitle A... ie: the Federal Assault Weapons Ban... which EXPIRED in 2004.
    OH, and that article also seems to have it's "facts" wrong as well. Notice how it says MD has a BAN on magazine larger than 20 rounds? There is no "ban". As I said before you can have the stuff, you just need to do a little leg work to get it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm with Mike on this one. That is a GROSS misinterpretation of the statute.
    While "magazine" is not actually defined in MD code, it has been defined elsewhere as a container used for the purpose of feeding ammunition into the chamber of a firearm.
    Simply being a feeding device (like a stripper clip... or my own hand) isn't enough... nor is simply being a container (in which case you could argue that buying a box of ammunition containing more than 20 rounds would be a violation of MD code :innocent0).

Since there is no state or federal prohibition... it must be legal.

Also keep in mind you CAN transport/own/use magazines with a capacity greater than 20 rounds in MD... you just can't buy/sell/assemble/receive/transfer them in state.
    So even assuming you COULD count links as a magazine, there is nothing stopping you from going out of state, getting the linked ammunition or magazine, and bringing it back home.

*I am not a lawyer. This in not legal advise. Blah blah blah...

While I'm agreeing with the arguments, finding a reputable dealer who will ship large belts of ammunition to maryland could be a problem.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    While I'm agreeing with the arguments, finding a reputable dealer who will ship large belts of ammunition to maryland could be a problem.

Again, I don't really see why. I'm not sure it even matters anyway though.
    Belt-fed firearms are not all that common, nor is the availability of linked ammo. In the few cases where someone actually needed linked ammunition, you can get around any little technicalities there may be.

As things are, I know how to legally obtain anything short of new production Title II select-fire firearms (ie: machine guns), and explosives. And if I had the cash, and was motivated enough, I could do the paperwork needed to get those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom