• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    IIRC, "Reach the Beach" was a King WillieDon gig.

Replacing drawbridges on US 50 with continuous spans, widening the roadway, etc.

But, that wouldn't necessarily explain non-mainline improvements.

Willie Don figured out what was good for MD was good for Baltimore ... if money came into MD, there was money to share with The City, because the MD Constitution according to LawGiver Goldstein was that MD may not go into debt to gift money to the city. (I don't actually know if Willie Don figured it out or if Uncle Louie just told him point blank one day.)

This was decades after the State Roads thing ... almost at or maybe even at the end of it.

The mainline and non-mainline improvement stuff during Willie Don's reign were from his understanding of tourism ... make the roads nice and signage easy to see and understand and tourists will recommend it. It worked; tourist came and left their money, told others to do likewise.

Glendenning killed it and future funding of the idea.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    It would not explain why Somerset, Kent and Cecil were included. They have noting to do with getting to the beach.

Governor Tawes was from Crisfield. That helped.

Norm Conway controls appropriations. That still helps.

I can't account for Cecil.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am wrong, you are right. Tawes was responsible for the State Roads commission. Inclusion of Kent and Cecil as part of connecting to OC is still outside the idea ... smoothing over the 50's secession still stands as a better explanation

Last edited:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    IIRC, "Reach the Beach" was a King WillieDon gig.

Replacing drawbridges on US 50 with continuous spans, widening the roadway, etc.

But, that wouldn't necessarily explain non-mainline improvements.

Willie Don figured out what was good for MD was good for Baltimore ... if money came into MD, there was money to share with The City, because the MD Constitution according to LawGiver Goldstein was that MD may not go into debt to gift money to the city. (I don't actually know if Willie Don figured it out or if Uncle Louie just told him point blank one day.)

This was decades after the State Roads thing ... almost at or maybe even at the end of it.

The mainline and non-mainline improvement stuff during Willie Don's reign were from his understanding of tourism ... make the roads nice and signage easy to see and understand and tourists will recommend it. It worked; tourist came and left their money, told others to do likewise.

Glendenning killed it and future funding of the idea.

Let's not forget the WillieDon Memorial Interstate ... I97. Actually a well-known secret was that he got FedBuck$ to build it so he could commute from his home in B'More. He hated living in the Gov's mansion. That may not be the exact reason and I97 certainly helped with the commute up Routes 2 and 3, as well as the 'shore traffic', but it was a motivating factor none-the-less.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    I just wish with all the movements with county's leaving to join or make new states one movement would take Harford with them

Mr H

Unindicted Co-Conspirator
    Let's not forget the WillieDon Memorial Interstate ... I97. Actually a well-known secret was that he got FedBuck$ to build it so he could commute from his home in B'More. He hated living in the Gov's mansion. That may not be the exact reason and I97 certainly helped with the commute up Routes 2 and 3, as well as the 'shore traffic', but it was a motivating factor none-the-less.

He was also instrumental in completing MD-100 out to US-29. For years, the only segment that was complete was from Mountain Rd. to old MD 3 (now I-97)

RedWolf762

Jan 18, 2013
    Freedom
    So if every county except the ones touching DC join Delaware, we are good to go? Hmmm... How would we unload Baltimore?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

From many standpoints, it may be more beneficial to consider joining Virginia. Not just beneficial to the counties that would be joining, but beneficial to VA for offsetting the number of low information voters that have infiltrated NOVA.

RedWolf762

Jan 18, 2013
    Freedom
    Interestingly enough, this hit my news feed last night:

Secession movement picks up steam in two unlikely states

It talks about the Western Maryland push. I swear I'd never leave Carroll county if this were to ever happen. But, alas, I just can't see Annapolis and DC agreeing to another red state (or two). Not gonna happen.

While secession may not happen in Maryland, any national news coverage it just so happens to garner exposes O'Malley as the scumbag he is to a broader audience. While this may not help us here and now, it could potentially save us in 2016.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Because the eastern shore includes Cecil. Plus it is a very conservative county.

Cecil isn't part of the US50 route to OC ... that's why I ask why it includes Cecil if the explanation is the OC route vs the 1950's Eastern Shore secession movement

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom