Denied Form 1/4? Collecting information.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, indeed! Thanks to Nate at Stouffer Legal for this work.

Being that this is your first foray into NFA (as it was mine), may I suggest seeing them about a trust? They did mine and I couldn't be happier!

Good reminder on the trust, IIUC time is running out so def plan on going that route :thumbsup:

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Reeeeeealy, ok then thanks for the info. Been way too busy lately to get all caught up. reading up on chickens, winter wheat harvest, vehicle restoration and plumbing at the moment :)

NFA is on the list but keeps getting pushed because that's one thing I know I can't just fudge my way through and have it come out ok!

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Reeeeeealy, ok then thanks for the info. Been way too busy lately to get all caught up. reading up on chickens, winter wheat harvest, vehicle restoration and plumbing at the moment :)

NFA is on the list but keeps getting pushed because that's one thing I know I can't just fudge my way through and have it come out ok!

You basically just fill out a 2 sided piece of paper, write a check, and then wait.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    You basically just fill out a 2 sided piece of paper, write a check, and then wait.

I'm just looking to avoid step #4, Go to Jail :)

Things on my "to read up on list" are:

1. Form 1 vs Form 4
    2. Pistol vs SBR
    3. Buy the parts before or after stamp
    4. Assemble before or after the stamp
    5. Am I locked into a certain config
    6. What is the etching of the receiver I see people talking about
    7. How do I get one of those pre-86 DIAS I see for sale in Shotgun News

Joking on the last one :) but as you can see my list is probably all covered in the NFA FAQ...just haven't started reading yet

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    1. Form 1 on a trust. You can at least look at your stuff anytime you want, as opposed to form 4 at a dealer, they keep it. ;)

2. pistol now, while you wait for SBR paperwork. that way, #3 and 4 aren't an issue and can be done immediately. if you don't want to make it a pistol first, then:

3. Either works, especially if you have a lower with no stock, but if you're not pistoleering before paperwork comes back and you're neurotic about it, wait to buy stuff till after paperwork arrives.

4. never ever ever assemble an SBR until you have the approved, stamped form in hand. if you go pistol, you can assemble that and enjoy it (mayhaps with a sig arm brace?) in the interim until your permission slip comes back with a yes.

5. with an ar-15 lower, pre-10/1, technically no. you can't permanently alter an NFA item from the configuration listed on the form (1 or 4, whichever it's on). obviously with an ar-15, you can just pop the upper back on; which means for my .300blk pending right now, i could put a 7.5" 5.56 upper on it if i wanted....just can't get rid of the 300blk upper since that's what's listed on the form 1.

6. you have to engrave the receiver with the information on the "maker" of the nfa item. for me that's my trust's name and location. there are plenty of resources on the intertubes about this already; search for "nfa engraving requirements" and you should find plenty of information.

7. pay a shitload of money and have a low-shelf receiver.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    5. with an ar-15 lower, pre-10/1, technically no. you can't permanently alter an NFA item from the configuration listed on the form (1 or 4, whichever it's on). obviously with an ar-15, you can just pop the upper back on; which means for my .300blk pending right now, i could put a 7.5" 5.56 upper on it if i wanted....just can't get rid of the 300blk upper since that's what's listed on the form 1.

There is no requirement to keep it in the original configuration. A permanent alteration is completely fine. ATF "recommends" you contact them so as to update the NFRTR, but it is in no way required to do so.

A form 1 lists the original configuration when made/manufactured.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

1. Form 1 vs Form 4
    2. Pistol vs SBR

Joking on the last one :) but as you can see my list is probably all covered in the NFA FAQ...just haven't started reading yet

Only people I have ever heard of being prosecuted for NFA violations were asking for it, aka they had an illegal machine gun, purposefully cutting the serial numbers off of cheap guns and welding them onto more expensive guns, etc.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

1. Form 1 vs Form 4
    2. Pistol vs SBR

1. Form 1 on a trust. You can at least look at your stuff anytime you want, as opposed to form 4 at a dealer, they keep it. ;)

2. pistol now, while you wait for SBR paperwork. that way, #3 and 4 aren't an issue and can be done immediately. if you don't want to make it a pistol first, then:

3. Either works, especially if you have a lower with no stock, but if you're not pistoleering before paperwork comes back and you're neurotic about it, wait to buy stuff till after paperwork arrives.

4. never ever ever assemble an SBR until you have the approved, stamped form in hand. if you go pistol, you can assemble that and enjoy it (mayhaps with a sig arm brace?) in the interim until your permission slip comes back with a yes.

6. you have to engrave the receiver with the information on the "maker" of the nfa item. for me that's my trust's name and location. there are plenty of resources on the intertubes about this already; search for "nfa engraving requirements" and you should find plenty of information.

It's that easy.

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    There is no requirement to keep it in the original configuration. A permanent alteration is completely fine. ATF "recommends" you contact them so as to update the NFRTR, but it is in no way required to do so.

My mind is officially blown. I had no idea about this. I thought we had to get a permission slip from BATFE for every little change in configuration, whether caliber or a half-inch longer/shorter barrel.

So I can put a 12.5" 300Blk upper on the lower for my approved 10.5" .556? Is this actually an example of a gun law that makes sense and is fair to law-abiding gun owners?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Is this actually an example of a gun law that makes sense and is fair to law-abiding gun owners?

SBRs and SBSs being included doesn't make any sense (yes I know it was a compromise over banning handguns). NFA doesn't really make sense in general.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013

Wow, and just like that my reading is down by 50%, thanks :thumbsup:

Still going to dig through the FAQ to have it all covered, but this was a great concise answer, good stuff.

One question, on #3 and #4, what is included in going pistol other than that it cant have a traditional stock?

Have to get it on the "Handgun Roster" I keep hearing about?

Still require a Form 1 to go pistol?

HQL (since its a new pistol)?

And this is great to know, definitely flexible and very unlike all the rest of the gun legislation.

Thanks to both of you for the great info, looking forward to my first build :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom