• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I am pretty new to reloading for rifles, and fired my first reloads last saturday successfully using some new remington brass I had, and I think they came out great. I have a large stash of Greek HXP M2 Ball brass I would like to load next, however upon inspection there are similar dents and gouges on just about every piece (circled in photo), would these be good to go or do I have to toss all of them? I am definitely going to polish the gouge a little to avoid scratching my dies. They arent too deep but better safe than sorry. Thanks for any help in advance.
    IMG_0039.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Small dents are fine. They won't come out during resizing, but any minor surface rising, if there, will be smoothed out.

The ding you're showing looks to have a raised circumference. Take a smooth file and remove the raised portions. They, too, will be fine after full length resizing.

That HXP is good brass. Have fun with your reloading.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Awesome thanks, I was more worried about the gouge, but after smoothing them off and resizing they all look pretty good. Glad all that brass doesn't have to go to waste.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Small dents are fine.. gauges/cut depends how deep they are.. if it's as deep as the case thickness.. I'd toss em out.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Perfectly fine. I've gotten 16 firings out of my HXP brass, with lots of dents along the way. The dents iron out, usually completely, on the next firing.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Wow good to know these should have a pretty long useful life. The gouges aren't as deep as I thought after cleaning them up so I think they should be good, being a newbie I check every piece a bunch of times just to make sure so any I come across that look much worse I'll probably set aside. Thanks for the advice

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dents are OK. Creases are problematic.

The gouge bothers me. I would probably toss that case. Especially due to here it is located, right around where case head separations occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom