• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

I was at my parents house today and my dad the an issue of the CC Times on the coffee table as usual. Front page, CCSO was going to replace 45 Resident Troopers with 42 deputies in the next three years. Thats a lot of deputies and I know that CCSO is an upcoming LE Agency. THey are hiring Sworn and Lateral Personnel. I am in no way affliated with CCSO but I have friends that are deputies and speak highly of their agency.

http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/sheriff/assets/deputy-prob.pdf

Carroll County Sheriff’s Office
    Deputy Sheriff Probationer (Recruit)
    Salary: $37,378 – Effective 06/25/08
    Entry level position for candidates who have no prior experience as a Certified Police Officer or have
    a certification that has expired or does not transfer to meet Maryland Police and Training Commission
    requirements. Promotion to Deputy First Class after 12 months sworn status.
    DEFINITION OF CLASS
    This is an entry level position into law enforcement requiring attendance in an Entry Level Police
    Training Academy to obtain sworn status. Sworn law enforcement officers maintain public peace,
    protect life and property, enforce laws and conduct limited investigations according to
    established office procedures under varying degrees of supervision. This is a transitional position
    as officers attend a police academy and learn the demands and requirements of a law
    enforcement officer position. A significant aspect of this work involves public contact with the
    community and therefore, duties must be performed in a tactful and conscientious manner. Work
    performance is carefully monitored, reviewed, and evaluated by the deputy's immediate
    supervisor.
    ESSENTIAL TASKS
     Patrols assigned area in police cruiser or on foot
     Maintains radio contact with Emergency Communications Center (ECC) and reports crimes or
    unusual situations
     Responds to calls involving criminal violations and calls for assistance; initiates action as
    appropriate
     Secures scene to restore peace and protect evidence
     Interviews complainants and witnesses and collects evidence
     Makes arrests, searches suspects for weapons and evidence and advises suspects of rights
     Seizes controlled dangerous substances and stolen property
     Transports suspects to Sheriff’s Office and/or central booking
     Obtains arrest warrants from District Court Commissioner
     Fingerprints, photographs, and interrogates suspects
     Deposits evidence and recovered property in office property/evidence room.
     Writes criminal offense, incident and accident reports
     Testifies in court as needed
     Responds to calls involving major traffic accidents or other activities
     Gives first aid and calls for medical assistance
     Draws sketches and takes measurements
     Gives general assistance to the public (e.g., assists stranded motorists, gives directions to lost
    travelers, removes hazardous objects from roadway, searches for lost children; etc.)
     Issues traffic summonses and warnings, parking tickets and vehicle repair notices
     Directs traffic at special events (e.g., parades) and/or locations where traffic accidents
    occur, unusual hazards exist, and where traffic signals malfunction
     Serves arrest warrants and summonses issued by the courts
     Advises shopkeepers, business executives, and citizens on crime prevention and security
    measures
     Speaks before civic and community groups about police operations
     Maintains vehicles and equipment to keep them clean and in good working order
     Deputies within this class may be temporarily assigned to undercover work for limited use in
    narcotics enforcement and other related areas.
    QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
     Must be a United States Citizen, able to read, write and speak English, and will reach the
    minimum age of 21 before the end of the Police Academy
     Possession of a General Education Development (GED) certificate or diploma recognized by
    the State Board of Education
     Possession of a valid drivers license from state of residence; an applicant’s license may not
    have been suspended, canceled or revoked in the three (3) years prior to application
     May not have been convicted of a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude
     Successfully pass a pre-employment physical agility and entry level law enforcement written
    examination
     Successfully pass a thorough an oral board interview, background investigation,
    psychological and polygraph examinations, medical review, and drug screen
    KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
     Ability to read and understand Federal and State criminal and traffic laws, County
    Government structure and functions, office structure and functions, office written directives
     Ability to analyze emergency situations, apply first aid and/or request emergency fire and
    rescue services
     Ability to complete routine forms and records, calculate fractions, decimals, and percentages
     Ability to apply law enforcement methods and procedures and take other appropriate
    action as needed dictates
     Ability to handle sensitive public contacts
     Knowledge of and ability to use self-defense
     Knowledge, skill, and ability to effectively use standard police weapons
     Knowledge of or the ability to acquire knowledge of the County geography by street and
    road locations
     Skill or the ability to acquire the skill to operate vehicles and equipment under emergency
    conditions (e.g., patrol vehicle, two-way radio, etc.)
     Ability to understand, demonstrate, and implement problem solving techniques based on the
    concepts and tenets of community oriented policing
     Must possess personal integrity and be emotionally stable, physically fit and detail oriented
    to perform all of the duties of the Deputy Sheriff Probationer position
    CAREER LADDER REQUIREMENTS
     Deputy Sheriff Probationer – P06 – One year of probation beginning immediately upon
    hire or after graduation from the police academy.
     Deputy First Class – P07 - Requires a minimum of 18 months prior experience in law
    enforcement or one year as a certified Deputy Sheriff Probationer with the Carroll County
    Sheriff’s Office and recommendation of supervisor.
     Corporal – P08 - Requires three years in the Deputy First Class position, one year of
    satisfactory or above performance reviews, and recommendation from Bureau Chief.
    MEDICAL GROUP:
    Police physical with 7-panel drug screen
    **THE SHERIFF OF CARROLL COUNTY WILL MAKE THE FINAL SELECTION**
    The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer

If you are already MD Certified LEO

http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/sheriff/assets/deputy-fc.pdf

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Carroll county does not even have 45 resident troopers now. Carroll county gonna regret replacing troopers. If it ain't broke..........

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thinking.... Honestly thinking..... Oh and CC is also considering nullification of SB281. So this may be an attempt to "push out" MSP for policing duties and overstepping their boundaries due to O'Malley.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    Carroll county does not even have 45 resident troopers now. Carroll county gonna regret replacing troopers. If it ain't broke..........

I would think that CC Deputies might be less likely to blindly follow

orders given by Comrade Omalley...

any MSP wish to opine

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Thinking.... Honestly thinking..... Oh and CC is also considering nullification of SB281. So this may be an attempt to "push out" MSP for policing duties and overstepping their boundaries due to O'Malley.

Nice thinking, but it's a budget thing.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Ya..but...there are potential positive (albeit unintended) consequences

Y'all really think Troopers are robots that just gone stomp on your rights? I can tell you that's not true. Most Troopers I've met are gun guys and outdoorsmen just like us in their private lives. They don't get any special treatment either. When I did my last transfer at MSP the Sgt told me he was on his 3rd week for a gun himself.

MDcompetition

Anti-poacher
    MDS Supporter
    May 8, 2013
    Baltimore, MD.
    My brother-in-law is one of those Resident Troopers and CCSD is making a huge mistake. The Troopers assigned there are absolutely the best and they consider CC their home and treat it as such.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I used to live in Mt. Airy in the 1990's and was good friends with the entire RT unit there. My late wife and I, who were dog and wolf breeders then, acted as an available asset in cases of canine issues as we did also for the Animal Shelter of Frederick County.
    My late wife's deceased older sister's first husband was an MSP officer. He later transfered to the Charles County Sheriff's Department to stay closer to home. I am willing to bet some of the younger MSP RT's may transfer to the CCSD if the deal is right.

muddychevy

Jan 15, 2014
    I can tell you first hand, that I live in Carroll co, and never once had a bad run in with a trooper. HOWEVER, the new deputies that have been hired as a result of this change are in no way shape or form working for anything other then their numbers. I used to speak highly of the CCSO and really cant think of anything good to say, unless you're talking about the guys who have been deputies for years and years, that actually want to preserve our way of life out here.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I can tell you first hand, that I live in Carroll co, and never once had a bad run in with a trooper. HOWEVER, the new deputies that have been hired as a result of this change are in no way shape or form working for anything other then their numbers. I used to speak highly of the CCSO and really cant think of anything good to say, unless you're talking about the guys who have been deputies for years and years, that actually want to preserve our way of life out here.

Care to elaborate? Kind of painting a broad brush.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think this has been in the works for a long time. I know Carroll County had wanted to form a county police department a few years ago too, but I guess that went by the wayside.

Unless the program has changed a lot, IIRC the resident trooper program costs a locality the amount for the trooper's salary, benefits, and vehicle. The state picks up a lot of less visible but inherent costs for things like administrative and supervisory costs, a lot of the liability, and you get people already trained and experienced. that right there is huge, you're not paying someone a salary for almost a year while they go through an academy and field training. And if someone leaves, it costs the county nothing. They just get another person transferred in. Really not a bad deal.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    This is not a new idea to replace the MSP in CC and there are no gun related conspiracies involved. They, the sheriff's department, have had a desire to be the primary singular law enforcement agency in CC allowing the MSP to concentrate their resources on RT 70 and other highways by contract.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    From what I remember the State needed increased funding from the Carroll Co. Govt. and the county balked at the cost. So the state decided to start removing troopers a little at a time.

The Sheriff has been trying to take over policing the county ever since he took office years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom