• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    OP Nothing wrong with your choice.
    Shoot it a few times then decide if it's the right choice.
    For instance I have a Glock and an XD and they do aim slightly different.
    As for the difference between shooting the 40 and the 9mm.
    Few weeks back went to the range with a freind who had just bought the XD in 40. I shot it back tp back with my 9mm.
    Only difference I could notice.
    The 9mm felt a tad bit more "snappy" compared to the 40 that had less snap but more push. FWIW:)

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I'm surprised people care so much about what some random people on the internet think. I'd shoot it and see what you think and go from there.
    Have fun with it and be safe.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I have a glock fo-tay and love it. Nothing wrong with .40, but then again....
    <----- :o :lol2:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There is nothing wrong with ,
    .40s it's reputation for Kabooms came from Glocks as they had an unsupported chamber. Even those issues have been largely discounted. I avoided .40 for many years focusing on 9mm .45 and probably everything else. Just recently got a .40 barrel for my sig 226 and have been running some and am fairly impressed with the caliber. Not really harder to handle than 9mm, accurate as any, good range of defensive ammo choices. Not my favorite, prefer .357 sig which is based on a 40 case but a good solid caliber.

Go out and enjoy it it's a fine gun.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Did you get the right pistol?

Glock by Gaston Glock
    1911 by John Mosses Browning
    HK USP by team HK for USSOCOM/ Offensive Handgun Weapon System
    XDM by Marko Vuković/ It was originally the HS2000.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    OP - if you're comfortable and proficient with it, then it's the right pistol for you. You've got the right idea though. Check out everything, you might find something you like better. And with that, I'm off to the range with my 1911.

Oh, and since Chad missed it: 5.7x28mm sucks.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As Clandestine noted, .38 Special/ .357 magnum was really the only viable choice, the rest of them suck. ;)

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I have a friend that unfortunantly had to defend himself with his Glock chambered in .40 S&W..... The result was not good for the guy that was shooting at him.

The .40 is a great self defense round. I suggest either Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers. :D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    One additional throughout that is not meant to prolong a this is better than that. During the post obh am grab, 9mm couldn't be found. .40 was a little scarce but could be had. Of course there was always an overpriced box of .357 sig on the shelf

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Everyone has a different opinion on pistols. The XD is a reliable gun, and never mind the caliber wars. Put enough rounds down it in training to get comfy with it and you are GTG.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    If you like the gun and can shoot it well thats the only thing that matters.Everyone has a preference and just because someone else dont like it dont mean you wont. Go get a couple boxes of ammo and put some holes in stuff.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Focus your efforts on practice and familiarizing yourself with the weapon you have. What weapon you have is secondary to your proficiency with that weapon.

You have a fine caliber. Don't let these guys get under your skin. Give it some time and a few lessons and see if this is still the right gun for you.

xdm4540

May 13, 2011
    Thanks for the insight everyone. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the range today, but I'm gonna shoot for one night this week.

Tim

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Focus your efforts on practice and familiarizing yourself with the weapon you have. What weapon you have is secondary to your proficiency with that weapon.

You have a fine caliber. Don't let these guys get under your skin. Give it some time and a few lessons and see if this is still the right gun for you.

TheRedDragon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 6, 2010
    as others said, if your comfortable shooting it, your go to go. practice as much as you can and your confidence level in your accuracy will grow. theres nothing wrong with a .40, theres been plenty of people killed with that caliber.
    dont let the bashing get you down, they are hating just to hate on something. especially clandestine....watch out for that goofball.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Now, now. Nobody in this thread has bashed Tim or his pistol. Quite the opposite. Everyone, Clandestine included, has been welcoming, supportive, and has offered constructive suggestions.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Now, now. Nobody in this thread has bashed Tim or his pistol. Quite the opposite. Everyone, Clandestine included, has been welcoming, supportive, and has offered constructive suggestions.

RedDragon and Clandestine are old friends. RD is just doing the "If I didn't like him, I wouldn't give him such a hard time" routine. I like to rank on Chad too, for the same reason. :cool:

xdm4540

May 13, 2011
    I didn't take offense to anyone's comments. I think everyone has been more than helpful and I appreciate the advice.

I care about what people think in this forum because my ego is not too great to take advice on something I know little to nothing about. I wasn't asking "will I be made fun of with this gun", I was asking did I buy a horrible caliber based on the reasons I listed. If I get poked and prodded in the process, so be it. It's the internet, not real life. :)

Thanks again everyone.

T

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom