Did MSP Contact Your References/Employer/Wife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There seems to be a lot of variation in the way the (sometimes retired) Troopers and others who process our permit applications handle references. Some contact all references, some contact one or two. Some people have reported that none were contacted. Likewise, they seem to make a practice of contacting wives and asking about abuse issues, asking how the wife "feels" about her husband carrying, etc. https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/did-msp-contact-all-of-your-references.192342/#post-4305965

Someday we may get these arbitrary and subjective practices stopped, but for now these old rules are still in force. Hopefully MSP will be so overwhelmed by the volume of applications that they will streamline the process.

Anyway, please use this thread to share your experiences: Did MSP contact your references? Your employer? Your wife? Your ex-wife?

Last edited:

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    There seems to be a lot of variation in the way the retired Troopers who process our permit applications handle references. Some contact all references, some contact one or two. Some people have reported that none were contacted. Likewise, they seem to make a practice of contacting wives and asking about abuse issues, asking how the wife "feels" about her husband carrying, etc. https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/did-msp-contact-all-of-your-references.192342/#post-4305965

Someday we may get these arbitrary and subjective practices stopped, but for now these old rules are still in force. Hopefully MSP will be so overwhelmed by the volume of applications that they will streamline the process.

Anyway, please use this thread to share your experiences: Did MSP contact your references? Your employer? Your wife? Your ex-wife?

Most of the personnel doing the ‘background investigations’ (which really aren’t full blown investigations) are civilian employees of the state police. There may be a few who have retired from other police agencies but they are usually assigned to the applicant investigations for new hires.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here’s how it was done in 2017. My wife was asked about substance abuse and whether or not I’ve ever been physically abusive. The redactions below were done by MSP, but I was told my references “said very nice things” about me.

I’ve been a reference for others in the past and that’s what I was asked over the phone.

8a74ef174adeeb5855991cd0d5b10190.jpg

c03675105e493da0dfc682cfb5395e0f.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Apparently they have a miscellaneous lot handling the investigations. I've seen mention in other threads of retired Troopers being among those handling the applications. Back in 2012, after the Woolard decision, MSP was swamped with applications, and I think they were using retired Troopers then. The link in my previous post is from 2012.

I think they're going to be overwhelmed like never before now, and it won't be a temporary frenzy like in 2012. Perhaps this time they'll have to subcontract the investigations to call centers in India.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Here’s how it was done in 2017. My wife was asked about substance abuse and whether or not I’ve ever been physically abusive. The redactions below were done by MSP, but I was told my references “said very nice things” about me.

I’ve been a reference for others in the past and that’s what I was asked over the phone.

That's neat that you got ahold of a copy. Thanks for sharing.

I was the spouse as a reference not too long ago. I don't remember the questions being any different than when I was a non-relative reference for my friend a few years before:
    --Not an alcoholic (maybe they asked about drugs too...but definitely alcohol)
    --Doesn't beat spouse (if I said so, she'd beat me more ;) ).
    --No other reason I'm aware of that they shouldn't carry.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That entire interview process is an outrage. It is entirely subjective and arbitrary.

Good thing you were dressed "neatly." If you're a slob, no civil rights for you!

The questions assume that the issue is whether you should have a gun at all, not whether you might carry in public. Thus "... no indications that the applicant has exhibited a propensity toward violence or instability that may reasonably render the applicant's possession of a handgun a danger to the applicant or another person."

The applicant already possesses 14 handguns and 23 rifles. Possession is not the issue.

I hope they will be so overwhelmed that they will have to abandon most of these practices. They are not required by law. An investigation could be a simple and objective NICS check.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys

Who was drinking that afternoon?
    Definitely not You

"The applicant stated that he a couple of drinks" :lol2:

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    on my initial application. About 8 yrs back, traveled to the HGR barrack and met with a non-retired trooper. Went thru the interview, and was ready to leave. He stated he would need to contact MomOSix for a few questions.
    great! I'll let her know. Btw - she is here with me. So he brought her back to the office and did those few questions and we were gtg.

he did ask her if she objected to my having a permit. They put a lot of stock in what the S.O. says and how S.O. reacts.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

I shutter to think what would have been the outcome if you hadn't "dressed neatly".

Maybe "Good and Substantial" should have been "Good and Well Groomed".

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Significant Other.

I guess "spouse" doesn't cut it anymore.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I shutter to think what would have been the outcome if you hadn't "dressed neatly".

Maybe "Good and Substantial" should have been "Good and Well Groomed".

Shorts, T-shirt, a fresh haircut and my friendly demeanor got me a permit. Totally unsubjective and fair not likely to have ever been abused at all. Nope. No way. Never happened. Nuh uh. Impossible.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    on my initial application. About 8 yrs back, traveled to the HGR barrack and met with a non-retired trooper. Went thru the interview, and was ready to leave. He stated he would need to contact MomOSix for a few questions.
    great! I'll let her know. Btw - she is here with me. So he brought her back to the office and did those few questions and we were gtg.

he did ask her if she objected to my having a permit. They put a lot of stock in what the S.O. says and how S.O. reacts.
    I think that would be fair (to ask what your wife thinks) under may issue, because it’s at their discretion whether or not to issue the permit. Under shall issue, the law indicates the requirements and spousal approval is not one of the requirements.

I’d be surprised if the references are even contacted given the volume of applications. We’re at about 16,000 applications now (based on the other thread with the application numbers). This comes out to 177 applications processed per day to meet the 90 day deadline (assuming working 7 days per week). That’s 22 applications per hour. And this is all as of today - not taking into account any future applications. I don’t know how many people they have processing these things, but they’ll have to gain efficiencies somewhere along the line.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Remember a few years back a woman in Baltimore County red-flagged her husband, said he was abusing her. Cops confiscated his pistol and revoked his carry permit. Shortly afterwords, her boyfriend murdered him in a fake armed robbery of his gas station. Bitch set him up.

I’d be surprised if the references are even contacted given the volume of applications. We’re at about 16,000 applications now (based on the other thread with the application numbers). This comes out to 177 applications processed per day to meet the 90 day deadline (assuming working 7 days per week). That’s 22 applications per hour. And this is all as of today - not taking into account any future applications. I don’t know how many people they have processing these things, but they’ll have to gain efficiencies somewhere along the line.

One of the main reasons for this thread is to keep track of that very thing: whether they indeed cut back on these outrageous infringements.

Last edited:

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I believe the folks that do your "background investigation" are called Administrative Officers...you can look at the MSP website under jobs and see them listed there...some AOs are specifically written job descriptions as to conducting background investigations...
    Most of the personnel doing the ‘background investigations’ (which really aren’t full blown investigations) are civilian employees of the state police. There may be a few who have retired from other police agencies but they are usually assigned to the applicant investigations for new hires.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    There seems to be a lot of variation in the way the retired Troopers who process our permit applications handle references. Some contact all references, some contact one or two. Some people have reported that none were contacted. Likewise, they seem to make a practice of contacting wives and asking about abuse issues, asking how the wife "feels" about her husband carrying, etc. https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/did-msp-contact-all-of-your-references.192342/#post-4305965

2 of 3 references were contacted, wife was not. This was in 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom