Dilemma ... Upgrade a pistol or buy new rifles??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    So I have a small dilemma, basically I can do 1 of two things.

#1 - Upgrade my XDm 4.5" to an unlimited race gun .. (9mm barrel w/ compensator / optic / magwell / etc)

#2 - Or instead of spending the money on my XDm I could buy a few ruger 10/22's (or similar) for me/my lady/my kid to go shoot with.

Background - I normally shoot far more than they do. She has her own pistols and still does not shoot as frequently as I do. That pushes me towards what I want, which is the pistol upgrades.

However if all 3 of us were able to shoot a less expensive round and had similar rifles then we would likely shoot together more often.

What would you do?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Depends...if you want to shoot more with your family then get the .22's. If you just want to spend it on yourself basically...get the upgrade.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I'd buy 1 10/22 to share. Nothing brings a family together quite like the bond that occurs at the range table.

Yeh that does not seem to work well w/ us .. the gal does not like to "watch" at the range. It seems like everything I buy, i have to buy two of lol.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Buy stuff to bring the family into the fold, especially your child. Family bonding is infinitely more valuable and important than any tacticool or competition-cool equipment.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the vast majority of open class shooters use 1911 (2011) guns vs tricked out glocks or certainly xd's. problem is, when you start messing with the 'plastic guns' you lose what they're known for - their reliability. plus 2011's have a huge head start in open class and thus have a ton of parts available for them and 'smiths that are familiar working on them.

highly suggest you either go with a 2011 racegun (STI has some pre-made ones at 'relatively' reasonable prices), or use the cash to buy other toys. 10/22 is a super fun gun, cheap ammo, high fun factor. and can use at at least some of the steel challenge matches. also check out their 22/45 pistols, can put a red dot on them and will be a lot of fun.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I think the answer is pending their wants or needs? Take them to the Range, and let them shoot someones 10/22. If that proves an interest on their part to return often with .22's, buy one than add on! They can personalize their rifles (in time) with colorful after market stocks, red-dots etc. Ammo is affordable, and if outdoor range you can shoot at tennis balls etc. Family first.
    However, if they lack a real interest or enthusiasm, than you're clear to buy for yourself.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I would vote for a 22 doesn't have to be the 10/22 but something the wife and kids can shoot to start a new generation shooting!

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    i appreciate the feedback. It looks like I'm going to buy some rifles. Probably two .22's and a 308 or so.

Now i just need to sell an iPad to help fund some of this :)

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Buy stuff to bring the family into the fold, especially your child. Family bonding is infinitely more valuable and important than any tacticool or competition-cool equipment.

+1!!!
    i bought a 10/22 and that was a great introduction to shooting for my nephew! And when my daughter gets of age, the 10/22 is going to be her intro to shooting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Where did a .308 come into the equasion ?

Every family needs a .22lr rifle. Period. 10/22s certainly have a cult following , but plenty others will work.

No mention of a .22lr pistol in the post or you signature. If there isn't one , there needs to be one. Start with one of each, sharing is a good skill to learn.

Now I won't address a tricked out XD ve expensive (whatever) , the answer/ concept is the same for any high(er) dollar piece.

Either dig deep for the cash. Or reevaluate the redundency in your present lineup.

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    I love my 22 caliber guns.The only problem with the long guns,is that the safe gets filled quickly.Time to get another safe.Collecting,Shooting firearms is a addiction.

Nelben

Jan 11, 2010
    Baltimore
    My vote is the rifles. I can't wait til my kids are old enough to shoot. Maybe then I'll get out to the range more often!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    i appreciate the feedback. It looks like I'm going to buy some rifles. Probably two .22's and a 308 or so.

Now i just need to sell an iPad to help fund some of this :)

A friend of mine may be int in your iPad. Let me know if you decide to sell.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While I like the 10/22 and its main competitor the Rem 597, the .22 rifle that your family will shoot the most is an S&W M&P AR15-22. While I use my Performance Center model for speed steel competition mainly, I have talked and chatted on-line with other fathers and a sizeable precentage of them who bought one of those ended up having to get a 2nd one because they could not pry it out of the hands of their wife or kids after the first time they took it to the range. If they wanted to shot they had to get their own. Kids like it because it looks exactly like the guns they use in their video games. Makes you have to keep buying more magazines also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom