Dillon 308 Carbide Die, anyone have one for sale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    Does anyone have a Dillon 308 Carbide Die for sale? I need one and was hoping to find one close enough to pick up in person so that I dont have to wait for one to be ordered.

Thanks, john

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Dillon Dies????

Check with Bob Mancer. "Maryland Reload-R" is the business name.
    He's a Dillon Stocking Dealer.

He MIGHT have a set.

He's in Pomfret, MD.

Sorry. I'm at work, and don't have his number handy.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    This is Bob's number 310-934-6213. I'm sure he has 308 dillon dies but don't know if they are Carbide Dies. Just keep in mind that Bob has had a stroke and health issue's so he talks slow but he's a really good guy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why do you need a Dillon Carbide Die?

The only advantage of the carbide dies for rifle is, they last longer. You still have to lube.

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    I really wish you the best in finding one locally, even though I doubt you will. If you really need to load up some 308 this weekend on say Saturday afternoon/evening, let me know and I'll let you run them off on my 550.

Thats kind of you thanks, I will wait for mine to come in.:thumbsup:

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    Why do you need a Dillon Carbide Die?

The only advantage of the carbide dies for rifle is, they last longer. You still have to lube.

I have some nato brass that is really hard to size (on the Dillon non-carbide Die), to a point that it takes both hands on the handle. It looks like it is going to break the press, it is flexing so bad. The carbide dies only take about half of the effort so that should take a lot of strain off of the press. Its fine if I size normal brass but this nato brass needs the carbide die, IMO. Im just worried that I am going to break the press with the standard Die. Thanks

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I've sized a lot of mil spec 308/7.62 brass using a Redding SB die with a Rockchucker press and have never had to use 2 hands on the handle. What kind of lube are you using. I've been using Royal Case and Die Lube on a lube pad. Works great with little effort.

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    I've sized a lot of mil spec 308/7.62 brass using a Redding SB die with a Rockchucker press and have never had to use 2 hands on the handle. What kind of lube are you using. I've been using Royal Case and Die Lube on a lube pad. Works great with little effort.

I am using the dillon lube, I also tried bees wax and that was a little better but not by much. I am wondering if I have a defective die.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have some nato brass that is really hard to size (on the Dillon non-carbide Die), to a point that it takes both hands on the handle. It looks like it is going to break the press, it is flexing so bad. The carbide dies only take about half of the effort so that should take a lot of strain off of the press. Its fine if I size normal brass but this nato brass needs the carbide die, IMO. Im just worried that I am going to break the press with the standard Die. Thanks

Carbide die does not reduce the sizing effort on rifle cases.

They do on straight wall pistol cases as the sizing is just a small donut of carbide. So very little contact area.

With a bottle neck rifle case, the entire case is in contact with the die. That is why the higher effort.

Use more lube.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am using the dillon lube, I also tried bees wax and that was a little better but not by much. I am wondering if I have a defective die.

How much lube are you using?

What die?

You could borrow any die and see if it works better.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster

Possible. I use RCBS and Redding SB 308 dies on LC once fired brass that I'm sure went through a machine gun with a generous chamber. I'll admit there is a little more resistance sizing LC brass as opposed to 308 commercial brass but again nothing as you describe in your first post.
    I think I would try a different brand of die before I'd do more sizing with your current die. Something could very well be out of spec with that die.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am sure someone here can lend you a .308 die, or have you over to size a few on their equipment.

Where are you?

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks everyone for all of the kind offers, I will be trying out the carbide dillon die on Tuesday. I will let everyone know about my findings. I have been using dillon lube and also imperial sizing wax.

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    Well I tried the carbide die and its a world of difference, much smoother. Its so much different that I think my regular die must be defective, I am going to send it to dillon and let them look at it. Thanks again everyone for helping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom