• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    I have been reloading on lee presses for the last 15 years, and have been happy with the results. Today I fell into a deal on a Dillon XL650 with several conversion kits for 9mm, .40 s&w, .45 auto, and .38/.357. It comes with Dillon dies to match the same calibers. It also comes with the super swage as well. The only part I could see that was missing is the hopper and plates for the case drop. What issues, inconsistencies, or quirks should I know about? I paid $525 for everything, and am wondering if it was a good deal or did I pay too much? Most of the dies look brand new, and a few definitely need cleaned. Otherwise everything appears to be in working order.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    it was a smoking deal - worth much more than twice what you paid. I load on a 550 so cant help on quirks

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Smoking deal. Many here would line up to buy several hundred dollars higher.

Keep the area under the plate clean. Buy a spare part kit from Dillon. And a couple extra autoindex springs. Broken a few things in them but all easy to replace with basic mechanical knowledge.

Joker

Jan 31, 2009
    Harford County
    Awesome. Thanks for the responses, and no buyers remorse, was just trying to figure out if I got a good deal on a discontinued model. I will get the recommended parts as soon as I can find them.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The great part is the Dillon No B.S. Warranty if something breaks or is broken.

If it's missing, the cost of the part sometimes is just S&H if you tell their CSR a "good enough" story i.e. "I rescued the press from a yard sale"

I have been reloading on lee presses for the last 15 years, and have been happy with the results. Today I fell into a deal on a Dillon XL650 with several conversion kits for 9mm, .40 s&w, .45 auto, and .38/.357. It comes with Dillon dies to match the same calibers. It also comes with the super swage as well. The only part I could see that was missing is the hopper and plates for the case drop. What issues, inconsistencies, or quirks should I know about? I paid $525 for everything, and am wondering if it was a good deal or did I pay too much? Most of the dies look brand new, and a few definitely need cleaned. Otherwise everything appears to be in working order.
    Yes, you got a deal.
    I will give you $700 for it sight unseen.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yes, you got a deal.
    I will give you $700 for it sight unseen.
    Hey. No fair. I paid more than that without dies from one of our esteemed members (and was happy to do so) for my most recent one. I'll bid 800!!!!!

All BS aside, great score. There is not "finding parts". You call Dillon and order them. The changeover to the 750 doesnt mean they wont sell you 650 parts. There a a LOT of them in service. Print out the PDF parts schematic and keep it with the parts box so you have part numbers when you call in the future (separate lines for orders with numbers and tech questions). Dillon is great. My only gripes are that they ship FedEx which has caused me to go rounds with them after I told.them NOT to and was happy to pay for the UPS shipping. Outside of that, I LOVE Dillon. Between my friend that I load with and me, there's six Dillon presses in total and we will eventually buy more.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The spare parts kit is worth having. Can get you back up and running instead of waiting for parts in the mail.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The only thing I've heard criticized on the 650 is the plastic part that works with the rotation being fragile.
    The Parts Kit, the Maintenance kit, & the Alignment Tool would be good purchases.
    Personally I use a 550B & am thrilled with the service, don't be shy about calling if anything glitches.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The only thing I've heard criticized on the 650 is the plastic part that works with the rotation being fragile.
    The Parts Kit, the Maintenance kit, & the Alignment Tool would be good purchases.
    Personally I use a 550B & am thrilled with the service, don't be shy about calling if anything glitches.
    It is fragile. It is especially fragile when people don't clean that area out. Broken a couple of them. Also the (metal) spring loaded rotation stop. If you use the progressives a lot, it's worth having spares of all the plastic parts and springs. Some of the steel parts too, if you are really running it hard.

Big game.changer for me was going to wet tumbling. Don't have to strip and clean the 650/750 presses nearly as often and break a lot fewer parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom