• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I went with the omega 300 as my first one. Just waiting for the backorder (due to recall) to lift and it’ll be on its way to the FFL

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I think I’m going to buy a 36m for my first. Found one in stock at an LGS. Happy birthday to me! Now I need to find a place to thread a few barrels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    The most fun, by far, are the .22 cans. The 9mm’s are fun too, with the right ammo. That Surge X looks good. No barrel length restrictions class leading sound suppression and a no questions asked warranty

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    The most fun, by far, are the .22 cans. The 9mm’s are fun too, with the right ammo.
    My 9mm can (Rugged Obsidian 9), on my 22 rifles, is just as quiet as my 22 can (CGS Hydra SS).

So if I were to buy ONE can to start, I would get a 9mm can that you can clean and use with rimfire as well.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    My 9mm can (Rugged Obsidian 9), on my 22 rifles, is just as quiet as my 22 can (CGS Hydra SS).

So if I were to buy ONE can to start, I would get a 9mm can that you can clean and use with rimfire as well.
    I have an Obsidian 9 and a Sparrow. The Obsidian is quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as the Sparrow. Not to mention, lighter

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have an Obsidian 9 and a Sparrow. The Obsidian is quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as the Sparrow
    I guess I should mention, your mileage may vary.

There is a lot that goes into it and what "sounds" quite. You can't just say "suppressed 22" and leave it at that.

What I have tested, side by side, is Ruger 10/22s using CCI Standard Velocity. No noticeable difference at the ear, in the woods, with my Rugged Obsidian 9 and my CGS Hydra SS.

It's important to note though that my Ruger 10/22s (or any semi) is going to be inherently louder then a bolt gun, because of course the gas cycling the bolt.

If I did this same test, side my side using my Ruger bolt actions, would I see a difference? Very possible.

I've done a TON of shooting using my Christensen Arms Ranger .22LR bolt, and my CGS Hydra SS. I've tried all the stuff, working high to low, Mini-mags, SV, CCI "Suppresor", CCI Quiet Semi-Auto, CCI Quiet, and even Colibri's. Almost all of them there is a sound difference. So just saying "suppressed 22" doesn't tell the whole story. Could be using mini-mags in a 10/22, or Colibris in a bolt gun, and you're going to get drastic differences.

All that said, even using the high velocity stuff out of a 10/22, suppressed .22 is stupid quiet and fun.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I guess I should mention, your mileage may vary.

There is a lot that goes into it and what "sounds" quite. You can't just say "suppressed 22" and leave it at that.

What I have tested, side by side, is Ruger 10/22s using CCI Standard Velocity. No noticeable difference at the ear, in the woods, with my Rugged Obsidian 9 and my CGS Hydra SS.

It's important to note though that my Ruger 10/22s (or any semi) is going to be inherently louder then a bolt gun, because of course the gas cycling the bolt.

If I did this same test, side my side using my Ruger bolt actions, would I see a difference? Very possible.

I've done a TON of shooting using my Christensen Arms Ranger .22LR bolt, and my CGS Hydra SS. I've tried all the stuff, working high to low, Mini-mags, SV, CCI "Suppresor", CCI Quiet Semi-Auto, CCI Quiet, and even Colibri's. Almost all of them there is a sound difference. So just saying "suppressed 22" doesn't tell the whole story. Could be using mini-mags in a 10/22, or Colibris in a bolt gun, and you're going to get drastic differences.

All that said, even using the high velocity stuff out of a 10/22, suppressed .22 is stupid quiet and fun.
    Now you’ve gone and done it, lol. I have a few YouTube videos on my Sparrow, with 3 different hosts. 10/22, Mk IV and a Savage bolt.

Be kind

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Now you’ve gone and done it, lol. I have a few YouTube videos on my Sparrow, with 3 different hosts. 10/22, Mk IV and a Savage bolt.

Be kind

Looks like I need to bring a few toys over to your back porch for a BBQ and plinking session. :beer::gun7::gun7:

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I agree that 22 cans are the most fun. Closest thing to “Hollywood” quiet. I have a ton of 22 hosts, but my current favorite is a HK mp5 .22 SBR. Quieter than a real mp5 SD, but much cheaper to feed.

I really want a dedicated 5.56 can even thought they are all loud as S…. Originally wanted a surefire socom rc2, but I honestly don’t need that much can for $1200. A $500 YHM turbo would probably suit me just fine for the occasional range blasting session.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I agree that 22 cans are the most fun. Closest thing to “Hollywood” quiet. I have a ton of 22 hosts, but my current favorite is a HK mp5 .22 SBR. Quieter than a real mp5 SD, but much cheaper to feed.

I really want a dedicated 5.56 can even thought they are all loud as S…. Originally wanted a surefire socom rc2, but I honestly don’t need that much can for $1200. A $500 YHM turbo would probably suit me just fine for the occasional range blasting session.
    I went with the Griffin Reece 5 mod 4. You’re right, still loud af!!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

YHM makes good cans for the price point. You get a lot of suppression for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom