• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    That's not exactly true. There are some cans on the market that allow you to add/ remove baffles at will and alter the length without violating the law. The baffles on a Maxim 9 are my first thought and the switchback is another.

You are not altering that supressor. You are using it as designed and sold

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There's a difference between adding baffles and removing baffles.
    As I understand it, you buy said suppressor in its finished configuration i e, the suppressors that are configurable are sold in their longest length. You can not add onto that length. You can remove baffle sections to suit you needs on a particular gun.
    You can not lengthen a can beyond its purchase length.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have a Rugged Obsidian 9. Absolutely love it.

I use it on my Ruger American .350 Legend Rifle, my 9mm carbines and assorted 9mm pistols, my .32ACP pistol, my .22LR rifles, my 300BLK carbine, and my 357/38 lever gun.

If I were to recommend just "ONE" can, this would be it.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 9.49.21 AM.png
    IMG_6287.jpg
    IMG_8479 2.jpg
    IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    I agree with those that say to just buy three upfront. Get a .22, a .45 pistol can (preferably with a ~70/30 split), and a .30 rifle can. This will cover you for everything from .22 all the way through 300 Norma mag. That’s where I started, but of course, now I have seven (it’s a slippery slope).

Personally I do 95% of my shooting is .22s. I’m cheap and poor, and .22s are cheap, super quiet, and almost just as much fun. .22s really deserve their own super small can, and you didn’t worry about trying to make them more efficient. A quality 22 can will be quieter than a BB gun.

A modular 45 can function perfectly on a .45 (or 10mm if rated for it), but in the shorter configuration will almost fully suppress 9mm, and offer a smaller, better looking form factor. Usually you’ll see about a 1” difference between a true 9mm can, and a true .45 can. That little bit of extra volume is there to cover the larger opening at the end, and the extra “boom” from the .45 round. And when it comes to suppression, the larger can with larger orifice will actually meter just as quiet as a true 9mm can… just be a bit bigger.

Finally, the .30 caliber rifle can can basically run any .30 (or smaller) rifle caliber you’d like through it, and will suppress 300 blk. By a standard sized rifle can though... Not a “K”, and not a “Long”. “K’s” our purpose, built to bring the rifle just barely to hearing safe, with maximum maneuverability. “Long” cans are needed to fully tame magnum calibers. As for 5.56 versus .30, this is much like the 9mm/ .45 above… The larger can volume and larger orifice will meter the same as a true (but ~1” shorter) true 5.56 can.

After you’ve collected the big three you can branch out and look into more mission specific cans/ redundancy. For example, I’m excited for the day I pick up a Nomad TiL, a Seg12, and a .46 caliber big bore can… just can’t justify them yet. I even purchased my suppressor case in anticipation of future purchases. Lol.

Good luck, and have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_9095.jpeg
      IMG_9095.jpeg
      404.5 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_4461.jpeg
      IMG_4461.jpeg
      530 KB · Views: 63
    • IMG_1303.jpeg
      IMG_1303.jpeg
      554.7 KB · Views: 58

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Absolutely. It's the same bullet. I use my .30 can on my 300Blk as well as one of my 5.56(the long range gun). That can has zero POI change on any gun I put it on.
    Whose can is that.
    I stopped checking POI after my first couple can moved POI enough for me to decide if a can goes on and it’s zeroed the firearm is now a can only gun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Whose can is that.
    I stopped checking POI after my first couple can moved POI enough for me to decide if a can goes on and it’s zeroed the firearm is now a can only gun.
    They are no longer made. It's a YHM Phantom LTA. If you ever see one come up for sale, grab it.

300aac.jpg

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I have a 36M, and it is a great, versatile suppressor. The 46M is also versatile, and handles even larger calibers. One thing I would suggest is keeping an eye on the SilencerCo website, as they seem to have Buy-One-Get-One sales quite frequently. (I am still waiting for my free suppressor to arrive.) A-1 Uniforms in College Park is an authorized SilercerCo dealer, if you live in the DC suburbs. AND BTW, I got the approval for my suppressor exactly 90-days after I filed on E-Forms.... NO BS.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    OMega 36M is an excellent Starter IMO
    .22 through 9mm and rated for full auto...
    It's not perfect on any one caliber but sure is configurable and works well on many

Need to get mine to the range soon...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OMega 36M is an excellent Starter IMO
    .22 through 9mm and rated for full auto...
    It's not perfect on any one caliber but sure is configurable and works well on many

Need to get mine to the range soon...
    There was a recent recall on that can, so there may be a bit of a longer wait.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    I have a feeling it’s gonna end up going from toe to cannonball

I’m eyeing up cans that can cover different calibers, all in one.

Any feedback on the silencerco hybrid 46m? I’m looking to suppress 9mm, 45 and 10mm. I’m sure I’ll be into a 300blk soon enough, just gotta figure out if I should buy one or build the pistol, but that’s a story for another time
    I have the 46M. Pretty happy with it. I’ve used it on my Canebrake, Stribog, Hellion and FNX-45. Haven’t had any issues (other than the 7+ month wait for the stamp). Would definitely recommend.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    There was a recent recall on that can, so there may be a bit of a longer wait.
    From what I have read they will be shipped back and forth on Silencerco's dime for inspection/repair and they have manufactured more since...I doubt it wont be too bad....I'd buy another...Really want a Omega 46 so i can quiet down a 450Bushmaster and some ACP stuff

and +1 for Mike at A-1 in College Park, he's awesome

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I'm looking hard at an Enticer-L. I do see that the Resonator R2 is on sale at SS for $640 and a free stamp though

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Cliff notes on purchasing a whisper pickle

.gov fees
    Wait times
    Background checks?

Please and thank you

Nobody

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics