• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If it's not nailed down with a camera pointing at it and an armed guard pacing nearby, it's gonna get stolen. I live out in bum-fvck egypt and someone finally saw fit to break into my shed this summer in order to make off with a couple heavy-duty outdoor extension cords, leaving the mower, trimmer and boxes of old clothes behind. I guess the tweakers needed more copper wire to hock so they can buy more cold medicine to trade for meth...and I hope they die from it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=255577909

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    A few years ago, someone broke into my shed. Stole my pressure washer, chain saw, weed wacker and circular saw. But left the leaf blower, hedge clippers, sawzall and some other tools.

I ended up replacing both doors with 2x6's and 2x4's and 3/4 inch plywood. And when I lag bolted the hinges and hasp to the door, I followed behind and spot welded the edges of the lag bolts so a wrench/ratchet can't be put on them.

But I think I F'd myself. The one door is now sagging. I need to pull it off, fix the sill and remount.

I just keep in mind that locks keep honest people honest. Or it's just a deterrent at most.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    People at any type of shows will take anything that isn't nailed down. A buddy of mine sells paracord products at the shows here in NC, and hires me for $40 and free admission to the show just to watch his table when he can't. $40 for an extra set of eyes.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    It's sad that people would rather steal from people who worked hard for their money/possessions than work to earn them for themselves. Like stated earlier, locks keep honest people honest. Thieves generally thrive on opportunity, and if you give them the opportunity, they'll take it. I can't imagine waiting at a gunshow table and thinking "He's not looking, I can swipe this and just walk away...". I guess some people's minds are just wired differently.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    A few years ago, someone broke into my shed. Stole my pressure washer, chain saw, weed wacker and circular saw. But left the leaf blower, hedge clippers, sawzall and some other tools.

I ended up replacing both doors with 2x6's and 2x4's and 3/4 inch plywood. And when I lag bolted the hinges and hasp to the door, I followed behind and spot welded the edges of the lag bolts so a wrench/ratchet can't be put on them.

But I think I F'd myself. The one door is now sagging. I need to pull it off, fix the sill and remount.

I just keep in mind that locks keep honest people honest. Or it's just a deterrent at most.

Weld a 3/8's nut to the lag bolts through the center of the nut. Pretty quick and easy.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    When I was at Chantilly I definitely saw a fair share of skeezy folks that were definitely looking for opportunities. When you work LP and watch people all day you pick up on ticks and glances, and the way people touch product. I blame the advertising outside the show, I think that brings in people that aren't necessarily interested, but want to see what there is to be had. I've seen people steal stuff, that just leaves you sitting there thinking...wtf, really?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Pen cams will eventually put a stop to this kind of sh*t. 2 hours of HD video from something smaller than a Pez dispenser, that will plug right into a USB port, for under $20... it's coming.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Pen cams will eventually put a stop to this kind of sh*t. 2 hours of HD video from something smaller than a Pez dispenser, that will plug right into a USB port, for under $20... it's coming.

I always assumed that there would be all kinds of video surveillance at gun shows, especially the big ones like Chantilly. I was thinking you'd be crazy to shoplift at a gun show as the cops would be instantly all over you. I guess not.

With that said, about 15 years ago I remember like yesterday the gun show at Howard County where a guy lifted a small revolver off one of the tables. Someone alerted the vendor as to who it was and the vendor drew a pistol and confronted the guy. The crook then tried to drop the revolver trying to make it look like he didn't have anything. Folks started hollering for the police who were there in a cruiser at the front of the show. Suddenly all the doors closed. I was standing in in between the two, a bit off to the side not quite in the line of fire as the vendor walked over past me and took the guy down to the floor at gunpoint. My reaction was to freeze as I didn't want to spook either of them. To this day I wonder if that was the right reaction or if dropping to the floor would have been smarter.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    There's a knife dealer who does all the shows and he has 9 cameras on poles, very easy to see....and someone tries to steal from him at every show. He just grabs the guy and rolls the video to show the police. Its a hoot to see it in action.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    We do shows for our business (lights and sirens for police, fire, etc) and with two of us in the booth we get at least one attempt per show of someone trying to steal a light head, switchbox, speaker....

So far we have only missed one person in three uears (knocks on head).

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Doesnt surprise me at all, there has been plenty of times i pick something up to look at it and then decide i want to buy it and its like pulling teeth to get the attention of the seller. I know i could have walked off with even rifles if i chose too.
    I am curious though, if i see someone shoplift from a gun table, do you think i would get in trouble for cracking them in the back of the head with a metal buttplate from a rifle? I really want to try it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There was one table at the Chantilly show where the owner had set up book shelves on his table, and was sitting behind it. I picked some magazines and tried to pay for it. I could have walked off with them and he and the rest of his cronies, who he was busy talking to, would not have noticed. He called someone over who took my money and gave me change after I waved like a fool trying to get his attention. Moron.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    some of the ammo dealers did not have display box's out at the last show I was at.I found out from the guy I buy my ammo from that is because people were stealing 1-3 rounds out of the display box's and walking away

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I wonder how much it would cost to install an inventory-control system at the exits, and bathrooms? (Thieves will often take pilfered goodies into the bathrooms in order to remove the tags.)

They would only work if vendors were given tags, and took the time to insert them in their display merchandise. But even the appearance of the sensors might go a long way towards dissuading thieves.

CIGuy

Nov 4, 2008
    Aberdeen, MD
    A few years ago(2005 I think) when I lived in Charlotte someone stole a class III MP5 from a table at a gun show at the Metrolina. Place was crawling with cops at every show after that one.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    A little Sharia law may go a long way...

I was stationed in Riyadh and visited "chop-chop" square downtown. Not that I condone it, but an occasional right hand removal would probably serve as a deterrent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom