• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ok, not just thinking about MDShooters' members from DC or lurkers which may exist, but rather potential legal gun owners in DC and maybe introducing more of DC residents into the gun sports and/or gunrights activism.
    Depending on the SC decision, whichever way it goes, it may be possible for us to either convince some people in DC about our position, joining the RKBA cause, or just simply learning the joys of the shooting sports. If the SC decision goes in our favor, then that provides a unique opportunity for a public relations or grassroots effort in DC. For many years the negative has been the focus there, but the non-criminals are probably better educated now (and they are the ones who vote) than compared to 20 or 30 years ago and are more likely to understand basic logic (like how the gun ban failed to do anything to stop crime on law abiding citizens).

One of the possible avenues for exposing MDShooters to the DC lawful gun owners is maybe to find the few remaining DC FFLs and getting the licensees involved and maybe convincing them to post some MDShooter's flyers with the invitation to District residents to join and participate too.

Who knows where this may lead. Just trying on a minimal level may result in a huge splash. If we get the normally democrat DC residents to start being more pro RKBA, then this may have a serious spillover effect in MD and maybe even some effect nationally. It might be worth exploring the idea.

Even if DC residents are not allowed to own handguns after this decision, how about we make an effort to invite some DC residents to participate in shotgun shooting sports in MD? This may expose some residents to the understanding that firearms ownership is also a sport that even city residents can participate in and enjoy. Can you imagine a young skeet shooting Olympian from DC, especially a minority, and how that would change many perspectives in that town?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Even if DC residents are not allowed to own handguns after this decision, how about we make an effort to invite some DC residents to participate in shotgun shooting sports in MD? This may expose some residents to the understanding that firearms ownership is also a sport that even city residents can participate in and enjoy. Can you imagine a young skeet shooting Olympian from DC, especially a minority, and how that would change many perspectives in that town?

I always enjoyed having the WASHINGTON Redskins host trap events at PG.:D

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I always enjoyed having the WASHINGTON Redskins host trap events at PG.:D

But, honestly, were there any DC residents there?
    Maybe if more DC residents were aware of the event, they might start feeling as if it is acceptable for people living in DC to participate? I bet most DC residents aren't even aware they can go to MD or VA and borrow a gun to shoot at a range, much less own a shotgun or rifle themselves.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    But, honestly, were there any DC residents there?
    Maybe if more DC residents were aware of the event, they might start feeling as if it is acceptable for people living in DC to participate? I bet most DC residents aren't even aware they can go to MD or VA and borrow a gun to shoot at a range, much less own a shotgun or rifle themselves.

I'm not really sure how to reach out to DC residents though, beyond working the ffl's (if theyre trulyany left.) Maybe by joining som local DC internet forums?

Great idea though.....just need to think of some good ways to implement it.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I bet most DC residents aren't even aware they can go to MD or VA and borrow a gun to shoot at a range, much less own a shotgun or rifle themselves.

DC Residents "Borrow" guns all the time and shoot all the time right in DC...why go all the way to Md or Va when you can get some target practice from the comfort of your moving cars back seat complete with Reactive Targets

:lol2::lol::innocent0

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DC Residents "Borrow" guns all the time and shoot all the time right in DC...why go all the way to Md or Va when you can get some target practice from the comfort of your moving cars back seat complete with Reactive Targets

:lol2::lol::innocent0
    This is why I specifically said lawful DC residents.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I'm not really sure how to reach out to DC residents though, beyond working the ffl's (if theyre trulyany left.) Maybe by joining som local DC internet forums?

Great idea though.....just need to think of some good ways to implement it.

Maybe start with the largest group of legal firearms owners in DC. There are many, many, many police agencies operating in DC. A lot of them are DC residents. If you know any officers whether they live in DC or not- by starting with them, they could get the word out to others...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So who is going to be the first one to register the dcshooters.com URL? :)
    We have MDShooters and this is supposed to be for MD and the surrounding area. I don't see why this could not be a DC RKBA and a DC gun sports forum as well. I think Don was hoping for participation from more than just MD residents (at least initially).

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Maybe start with the largest group of legal firearms owners in DC. There are many, many, many police agencies operating in DC. A lot of them are DC residents. If you know any officers whether they live in DC or not- by starting with them, they could get the word out to others...

:thumbsup:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the few FFL dealers in DC (twelve of them in 2001) are mostly only for LEO, or LE angency supply. But that aside, I think you are right on target. While there are something like 20 or 30 or more something LE agencies in DC, there are probably just as many or more DC "Special Police" companies.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Just thought of something. the most common response I can imagine from a holpophobe that may live in DC that was offered a chance at trying a shooting sport like about target shooting would be "that is barbaric to practice shooting at what could be human targets". But of course with skeet or trap the best countering reponse that would put them totally off balance in their arguments would be "gee, didn't know people could fly!"

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Yes it is. I wonder what would happen if someone else tried to register it?

**EDIT** If you try to order it, you are then told that it is taken. But if you notice the link that you posted it has "dcshooterscom.com", which will always be available. ;)

I thought I had corrected that in my second posted link....maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom