• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Bondo works pretty well for this, but make sure you have everything laid out and ready before you start- by the time the resin starts to get chunky it will not absorb into the fabric or other medium easily, and it also starts to get REALLY REALLY HOT!

Like so hot it will melt cheap nitrile gloves.

There are other fiberglass resins, but Bondo cures really clear instead of kind of brownish, so it lets your medium really show through.

Just make sure you lay everything down without any air bubbles in it, and then clamp it so tight that you're afraid you might break your clamps.

JB weld works great to secure the finished product to whatever you're trying to secure it to.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Very impressed. Beautiful, simple and inexpensive.

denim4.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yup, DIY micarta, also a lot better to sand and shape than fiberglass composites like G10.

Have been thinking about making some scales for a Benchmade 375. Love the knife, hate the unfinished no scale/paracord wrap design.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I went and picked up a new case of bondo today so I can feel free to finish off the last tub of it.

I'm a big fan of having a main material, and several interspersed layers of something brighter, like either Denim or a green starbucks apron or something, and then for color something like a plaid shirt, or several brighter colors. When sanded into shape, you can really end up with some beautiful patterns showing up, especially if you have the main axis of your object side-on to the layering..

I think I'm going to make a bookmark as well, or a bunch of them rather. Three or four very thin sheets, and then when cured I'll be able to cut the finished piece into maybe five or six bookmarks.

Looks great without a finish, but pretty much any glossy finish will make it look good, and you can always sand it down to a matte finish.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    That looks totally awesome...and I imagine the possibilities here are really endless given there are all sorts of fabric materials, styles, colors, textures, etc...

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    That is very cool indeed. I have made many sword hilts, sheaths and blade scales but always from natural materials like water buffalo horn, hickory, magnolia, bamboo, stingray and shark hides, cow and kangaroo leather, silk, copper, iron, brass, etc. That looks like a great technique for expanding the possibilities of what can be used material-wise...and for an economical cash outlay.

rabid_animal

Oct 18, 2013
    That is really amazing, thank you for sharing! I wonder if making the material into charcloth first would have an advantage. That way all the miscellaneous compounds inside the fabric would be cooked off and turned into pure carbon for a stronger bond. Obviously the colored fabrics would unfortunately turn black and not give that pretty layering effect.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Just made a couple handles out of black walnut and mahogany.

I like the potential of the home made.......now I'm going to have to buy some more blanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom