• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    We see Blue Catfish regularly at Geresbeck's in Pasadena (locations in Sun Valley and Essex, too).

We've been tempted to try it, but I'm not a huge fish fan. Maybe if I can get a recipe that suits my chicken-shit palate ;)
    parboil fillets until fish flakes apart. put meat in a colander to drain and cool down, remove any brown colored meat and discard. crumble fish and mix with ingredients used in Old Bay recipe .
    Make cakes and fry or broil til golden brown.

They are will never rival crabcakes , but are very tasty

beware of some places serving fish. They will tell you it is something good and what you get is some turd fish like the tilapia or tile fish. The average person won't know what they are even eating.
    Tell me you have never had fresh Tilefish without telling me you have never had fresh Tilefish.
    (I am referencing the genus Lopholatilus, the deepwater Atlantic fish)

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Do blue catfish have to be skinned? It has been a VERY long time since I caught catfish.
    The skin has lots of oil. "Good" oil but strong. Removing the bloodline or mudline (red looking meat)will remove much of the muddy taste. Soak in salt water for a bit.

I love putting it in gumbo with homemade andouille and whatever third meat I'm feeling. Shrimp, chicken...gator, snake!
    Only takes hours to make :)
    Frying is easier...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    When I was in UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama), the local seafood restaurants would do Fried Buffets of Catfish, Gator, Frog Legs, Soft Crabs, Oysters and Shrimp and if it wasn't Lent, Chicken and Rabbit along with Fries, Hush Puppies and Coleslaw
    Apparently Alabama is so proud of their catfish that there's a state law about serving it. If your restaurant is going to use the phrase "Alabama catfish" on menus, you have to prominently display a certificate showing which farm the fish was bought from.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Do blue catfish have to be skinned? It has been a VERY long time since I caught catfish.
    I skin them. Their skin is so slimy I have zero interest in eating it.
    No, but I think it really depends on whose preparing them and how they're going to do that.
    We just filet, slather with mayo and bake then serve with julienne green beans. Parsley, Bay leaves and a dash of OB.
    Poor man's stuffed rockfish. Maybe Au grautin spuds or some other sides.
    Channel cat is even better.
    So you eat the skin?
    Do the filets lose anything when frozen?

We usually shop on Wednesdays, so if it would keep we might pick some up for another time.
    Catfish is the only fish that I think loses something after being frozen. I think the meat firms up too much, and gets tough. Only tried it once though, so maybe it was a fluke (pun intended).
    Tell me you have never had fresh Tilefish without telling me you have never had fresh Tilefish.
    +1

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

~Snip~
    I was wondering when this was going to be mentioned. When I caught catfish in Texas, we'd skin them too. Skin was slimey. No way I'm eating it, even after trying to scrape, wash and fry it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

So you eat the skin?

Catfish is the only fish that I think loses something after being frozen. I think the meat firms up too much, and gets tough. Only tried it once though, so maybe it was a fluke (pun intended).

+1
    Yea we eat the whole thing. Head and all.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      125.8 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads