• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Im a little confused. I thought the law was one purchase every 30 days? I purchased a lower on August 5th, Still has not been released to me. I was under the impression that on September 5th I am allowed to go purchase another regulated firearm? is this not the case!? otherwise i cant get another AR before october 1st?

That is NOT the case. The MSP position on "purchase" is the actual taking possession of the firearm. So, if you purchased one on August 5th from a dealer releasing on-time (i.e., 8 days), then you could take possession of another on September 13th, maybe 14th. Did not do the actual calculation. If the first dealer is going to wait until a ND comes back which will take 4 months, take yourself to a dealer releasing on-time and get another AR.

If you really want more than 2 AR's, get a Verifiable Purchase Order in place before October 1, 2013 or put several of them on layaway and submit the Form 77r for all of them prior to October 1, 2013.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Receiving one every 30 days, not buying. You can buy as many as you want as often as you want and pick one up every 30 days from now until kingdom come. Now is the time to buy the AR (non-HBAR), since banned guns are exempted on Oct 1st IF you buy them before Oct 1st.

That is not completely correct. If you buy them before October 1, 2013, you have to have a Form 77r in place prior to October 1, 2013 or a Verifiable Purchase Order in place before October 1, 2013. Just paying for them will not be enough.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That is not completely correct. If you buy them before October 1, 2013, you have to have a Form 77r in place prior to October 1, 2013 or a Verifiable Purchase Order in place before October 1, 2013. Just paying for them will not be enough.

Presumably people buy and do the paperwork at the same time. Seems like common sense. I've never done it any other way. Some folks have to learn the hard way apparently. ;)

Daniel87

Jan 10, 2013
    Phoenix, MD
    Receiving one every 30 days, not buying. You can buy as many as you want as often as you want and pick one up every 30 days from now until kingdom come. Now is the time to buy the AR (non-HBAR), since banned guns are exempted on Oct 1st IF you buy them before Oct 1st.

thanks, so if I go tomorrow and buy another lower and a complete AR can I pick up all three at the same time as long as i dont pick anything up after that for 90 days? or do the items have to be paid for at the same time to be picked up together

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The two you would buy tomorrow get picked up 30 days after you receive the lower currently in the queue. Regardless, two is the maximum you can receive at one time without designated collector (DC) status.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    thanks, so if I go tomorrow and buy another lower and a complete AR can I pick up all three at the same time as long as i dont pick anything up after that for 90 days? or do the items have to be paid for at the same time to be picked up together

You CANNOT pick up three items at the same time unless you are a Designated Collector. I assume you are not a Designated Collector because you would not have this issue if you were.

If you go tomorrow and buy two regulated items from the same dealer and put both of them on the same Form 77r, you can pick up both of them in 8 days IF you have not picked up a regulated firearm in the previous 30 days. After you pick up the 2 items that you pay for tomorrow, you will not be able to pick up another regulated firearm for 60 days. If the dealer on the first regulated firearm is waiting for the Not Disapproved to come back, the 60 day wait will not be an issue.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A DEALER RELEASING IN 8 to 14 days.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Presumably people buy and do the paperwork at the same time. Seems like common sense. I've never done it any other way. Some folks have to learn the hard way apparently. ;)

Depends if somebody is buying direct from a dealer of via gunbroker, etc. I know somebody with 5 items at the FFL right now waiting for a couple more to come in so he can put them all on a single Form 77r. Thing is, he is a designated collector.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The two you would buy tomorrow get picked up 30 days after you receive the lower currently in the queue. Regardless, two is the maximum you can receive at one time without designated collector (DC) status.

He does not have to pick up the lower that is currently in the que prior to picking up the two from tomorrow. If the first dealer is NOT releasing on time, he can pick up the two he buys tomorrow in 8 days and then pick up the lower he bought earlier the later of when the ND comes back or 60 days passes from his taking possession of the two he buys tomorrow.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    True, if he was unfortunate enough to buy the lower from a non-releasing dealer. What a fuster cluck all of this is!

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I have a similar situation with a twist.

I paid for a stripped lower on June 18th and I am still waiting for it.
    I paid for a 1911 on June 23rd.

I received my MD Designator Collector Status on 7/1,

I picked my 1911 up on Friday (8/23)

I want to make another purchase for a CCW ASAP. Since I am now a designated collector I am assuming I can purchase another handgun any time and take possession of it at any time. I am also under the impression that since my Stripped Lower purchase was pre-MD Collector status that I have to wait 30 days from the time I picked up my 1911:confused:

Worst case scenario I think is that I have to wait and pick up my stripped lower but since I have waited 60+ days already and the lower is not in Jeopardy for the Oct 1 changes I am good with that but want to get my CCW before Oct 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom