Do I need an FFL? (Baltimore, Help Obtaining)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    I am moving to Baltimore this summer for graduate school. I am the chief financial officer and responsible person on an 07 FFL and 08 FFL. My business partner and I have plenty of receipts and the business is very close to six figure income, so I can provide all of those documents to MSP. We have a business that reverse engineers firearms and turns them into CAD files for foreign customers (all EAR and ITAR legal export). Because of this, we ship each other firearms back and forth depending on what the business needs, which is completely legal according to ATF. My current state doesn't care about this. It's unclear to me if I need an FFL to send and receive guns back and forth as a responsible person in the state of MD.

I want to get clarification from MSP, but I can't find a phone number on their website.

Second, I am having a hard time figuring out the zoning issue and FFLs in Baltimore. I know the 07 FFL is a no go because manufacturing is very restricted, but I think an 08 FFL is okay for a home business. However, everyone is saying the zoning makes it difficult to obtain an FFL in Baltimore, although no one can tell me why and I can't find it anywhere, hence talk to MSP about this too would be helpful.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I ramped up my interest in gun I fully intended to do 2 things:

1.) Get a concealed carry permit.
    2.) Get my home FFL/Dealer license

My Dad was an FFL and had a business out of his home in Nebraska. He served as an FFL for some folks, but he mostly utilized his FFL for his own personal needs - he could order guns and have them shipped directly to the house, and often times dealer prices were drastically lower than what the normal consumer would have.

Of course this is Maryland, so neither thing came to pass. I couldn't get a CCW permit because of the G&S clause. Regarding getting my FFL, the process was so convoluted based on the myriad of requirements, zoning restrictions, and needing to have some kind of official store front, that I gave up trying to navigate it.

I wish you the best of luck.

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    I was able to get a hold of the licensing division. I told them I send firearms back and forth between my business partner and I. I do not sell, rent, or transfer regulated firearms. I do not sell wholesale or to the public. They told me in writing that I do not need to register an FFL in Maryland for what I am doing.

I cannot seem to find if the AWB or NFA laws apply to an 07 or 08 FFL in maryland?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I was able to get a hold of the licensing division. I told them I send firearms back and forth between my business partner and I. I do not sell, rent, or transfer regulated firearms. I do not sell wholesale or to the public. They told me in writing that I do not need to register an FFL in Maryland for what I am doing.

I cannot seem to find if the AWB or NFA laws apply to an 07 or 08 FFL in maryland?

Lawyer! Get advice from a 2A knowledgeable and MD wacky gun laws Lawyer in Maryland.

Are you familiar with Maryland's hand gun roster? Are you aware of the AR-15 HBAR requirement?

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    Lawyer! Get advice from a 2A knowledgeable and MD wacky gun laws Lawyer in Maryland.

Are you familiar with Maryland's hand gun roster? Are you aware of the AR-15 HBAR requirement?

Yes. I understand how the laws work.

I am a chief officer on both FFLs . According to MSP, I would be the same privileges as any other FFL in maryland unless I engage in selling, loaning, or transfering firearms wholesale or to individuals. I'll check with a lawyer, but I have it in a email from MSP that I'm going to save and print multiple copies of.

Anyways, I understand that FFLs are exempt from AW laws if they have inventory that they are selling out of state. I would like to know if there are any machine gun rules that I am exempt from, but we do not deal with ITAR regulated firearms very much. Maybe 1 a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom