Do We Still Need a Shell Casing with New Handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    In all I've read about the new law, I haven't seen that anything changed with the spent shell casing, so I am assuming it is still required. I just need a quick confirmation because a hard to find 1911 popped up that I have been wanting for a long time. Already placed a bid on it, but forgot to ask if it has the spent casing.

Thanks in advance.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A1 will do a fired shell casing for you at no cost with your transfer.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    A1 will do a fired shell casing for you at no cost with your transfer.
    Thanks. Looks like A1 is in Brentwood, MD which is very close to my work office in Beltsville. Will probably go that route if the gun doesn't already have a casing.

If anyone knows another dealer closer to Harford County that will also do a fired casing, please let me know.

Thanks again.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008

It's a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight with the 1.5" group guarantee! :D

I've been wanting one of these for a long time. They rarely pop up with the tightened spec group guarantee. Les Baer still has a 12-14 month wait on all orders.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    only for new guns, if this 1911 is used then not required I believe

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any FFL007 is empoweered to do a fired casing, and they are not uncommon. Often there is a nominal charge , so Greg's offer of free w/ transfer is an inducement if A1 is otherwise convient for you.

In '13 I actually bought two NEW handguns, one on purpose , the other accidently. My usual preferences run to used , often older on purpose.

And yes , the fired casings are totally useless , all presently thrown into 55gal drums by MSP. They remain only to harass us.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    If it is a used handgun and does not have a fired shell casing you do not need one. If it is a new handgun you do need a fired shell casing.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    only for new guns, if this 1911 is used then not required I believe
    You are correct, it is any new handgun manufactured after 12/31/2002 that requires a shell casing. I started the HQL licensing process on the MSP web site and get fingerprinted on Monday. I'll call A1 on Monday. Thanks to everyone.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    In all I've read about the new law, I haven't seen that anything changed with the spent shell casing, so I am assuming it is still required. I just need a quick confirmation because a hard to find 1911 popped up that I have been wanting for a long time. Already placed a bid on it, but forgot to ask if it has the spent casing.

Thanks in advance.

Sgt Preston here...

Yup, sure do...

You send it the the MSP & they throw it in a 55 gallon drum...

Merry-Land has NEVER repealed or modified any gun laws...

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

Thanks in advance.

I don't have the regulation in front of me in the moment, but if the firearm is owned now or has ever been owned by a non-dealer (non-FFL), it is not "new" and no casing is required. Even if it is functionally new-- unfired, in the box, etc. -- it is no longer "new" as defined in the regulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom