Do you adjust your AR stock depending on what you're doing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Do you adjust your AR stock depending on what you're doing? I'm just curious if anyone else does this. I've been doing it with an Aimpoint and it works out well for me. I keep it on the second position for CQB and drop it back one or two notches for bench shooting. I'm going to be mounting my first variable scope soon and I'm wondering if stock adjustments are going to cause problems for me with eye relief?

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I use it fully extended to shoot with the backup iron sights. I move it forward a couple of notches with the eotech turned on.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    regular scope will most likley black out if you set it in to close and adjust the stock back to far. you will have to play with it before you tighten it down. I am 6'1" and have never had the need to go past the second hole.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yes. If I'm going full tacti-tard and have my plates on I close it all the way. And I pull it back out some for shooting without plates, and I pull it all the way out to make it look stupid.

Oh and edited to add I collapse any stock fully for the mortar drill, which so far has always been a drill for me. I've had to mortar out stuck cases on other people's rifles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the scope currently on the SPR is set a bit further forward than "optimal" when the stock is fully extended, because I'm currently also putting a PVS-14 behind it when the sun goes byebye. so i collapse it a bit for optimal eye relief without the NOD, then extend it all the way for use WITH it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I keep my rifles on the second setting, and I have the scope on my 3-gun AR set so the eye relief is perfect with that stock setting. My other scoped AR has an A2 stock so that isn't a problem. When I finish the new shorty AR I'm setting the stock on the second pin, it's not comfortable for me to shoot any closer and the any further and the rear sight picture isn't as good.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I keep my rifles on the second setting, and I have the scope on my 3-gun AR set so the eye relief is perfect with that stock setting. My other scoped AR has an A2 stock so that isn't a problem. When I finish the new shorty AR I'm setting the stock on the second pin, it's not comfortable for me to shoot any closer and the any further and the rear sight picture isn't as good.

In all seriousness I agree, 2nd or 3rd position depending on the stock. With an ACS I leave it on position 2 and it works very well for me, irons or RDO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    All the way in. Moving the stock when its not necessary can f-up your parallax depending on the optics/magnification, especially if you don't have a parallax adjustment.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    It's all really comes down to body build and preference. While it make some sense to extend the stock if you're prone, it still will change your sight picture. While this isn't a huge issue with red dots, it definitely will change your point of impact if using irons.

Find a length that is comfortable and stable for you and stick with it. That being said, I agree with S'mores that if you do anything that changes the placement of your cheek weld, adjust your stock accordingly.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i run mine fully in unless i have my sling hooked into the noveskie qd endplate, then i run one notch back since the stock cant lock all the way forward because of the qd stud being there. if im benching ill run it on the 3 position to keep my head in the same position when leaning really far forward sitting at a table.

ill never understand people who have adjustable stocks and run them all the way out...why? might as well just rip it off and throw an a2 on there...

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    One click out as I'm a little guy with shorter arms plus I hold just off of center not in the pocket. I find it's a nice position for both my irons and the Eotech. I also can switch right to left easier. I set my main rifle up as an ambi gun. Chris

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    On most of my ARs including my 3-gun the only time I change the stock position is when I am putting it in the bag. With scopes there is basically one perfect sweet spot with the best eye relief and view so you don't change. With irons or red dots that is not a critical issue.

rj91jeep

Feb 16, 2011
    Westminster, MD
    On my M&P 15-22 with 1-4 scope, I usually have mine all the way out because of my long arms. My stepsister usually shoots with it 1 or 2 notches from fully extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom