• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    I have 4 revolvers that i keep hidden. Seems a shame to hide them or lock them away.
    I live in a safe area, and thinking of displaying them above the fireplace. But i do wonder if leaving them out is not the smartest move, you never know when you may have a B&E.
    So, lets hear your opinion, display or keep hidden from prying eyes?

2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !
    I own several revolvers that i "display" in my properly locked safe. I would never leave a functional revolver or any other gun out in the open.unless the gun is a movie prop or something.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I might set out something if I'm having my buddies over.

Ordinarily I don't leave guns in plain sight. It seems like a bad idea.

vanquish1

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2022
    Howard County
    I struggle with this also. Such a shame to keep them locked away but would be really upsetting to have them stolen and I would have a hard time living with myself knowing I could have done more to keep them off the street.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    All good ideas. I should have mentioned its just the wife and I. Both our kids live out of state and no grandkids so children in house is not an issue.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Since this is the black powder forum, I assume you mean one or all of your repro cap and ball revolvers. In that case I would at least one. I actually plan to get a nice stand for one of mine.

I would not leave out anything of significant value or modern.

jbridgely

Mar 28, 2023
    Westminster
    The dilemma is always accessibility versus safety. Maybe someone reading this will use the technology associated with the quick access gun storage units and combine it with a high-quality plexiglass display. Until that happens, I am afraid biometric, or RFID storage is my choice.

Sorry, just realized this was black powder forum... thanks "linkstate"

owldo

Ultimate Member
    I have 4 revolvers that i keep hidden. Seems a shame to hide them or lock them away.
    I live in a safe area, and thinking of displaying them above the fireplace. But i do wonder if leaving them out is not the smartest move, you never know when you may have a B&E.
    So, lets hear your opinion, display or keep hidden from prying eyes?
    IMO ... not a good idea to display and as an aside, you have to be a very very good friend who I know well to even tell you what I have !

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Yes, I display a few muzzleloading guns. It's not like they can be pulled off the wall or shelf and shot in the house. My powder, ball and caps are all safely locked away. As far as the theft and value issue, not much different than other items with some value I have in the house.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This isn't a revolver...or a real gun at all...but this is the only "gun" I have displayed. I've had it for maybe forty years.
    IMG_1792.JPG

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's a sign of the times when you have nice things and have to secure them away from prying eyes and hands...and I'm not talking about keep them safe from children's hands.
    B&Es have always been a thing. But elsewhere someone brought up murders, which had me looking at crime rates in the 1960s. At least in Maryland, we have somewhat more murders per capita than in the early 1960s. But most other crimes are massively higher. B&Es happen at something like 3-4x the rate per person that they did in the early 1960s. Its a sad reality. I don't leave cash sitting out, nor jewelry, and I certainly wouldn't leave guns sitting out unless they were non-functional. I am not sure I'd have an expensive non-functional display piece sitting out either.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    My aunt used to display a rifle on the wall might have been a Sharps rifle or something that looked similar. It was a holdover from when her husband was alive and put it up. They said it belonged to a family member back in the civil war.

You don't see many firearms displayed in the open anymore. I would like to display some cowboy guns but I won't. I have thought about making an old style rifle display case like they used to have but realistically I will never put any rifles in it for display. Really I think every man needs a "real" man-cave that is secured where firearms can be displayed. They are only for trusted and appropriate audiences.

I would consider a black powder rifle (flintlock) on the wall but I don't have one. At one point I was going to make a display showing the progression of building an AR15. I bought 10 stripped lowers for that project but never did the display. I built most into full guns since then and just have a couple lowers left unbuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom