• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1. Do you prime and prep cases for ready service even though you are well stocked in ammo?

• Yes

Votes: 13 65.0%
    • No

Votes: 3 15.0%
    • Sometimes

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    1. Do you prime and prep cases for ready service even though you are well sticked in ammo?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Prep em. Usually don't prime til it's time or almost time to load. Having a couple thousand primer ready 9mm cases around is pretty normal. Usually keep 45 ready to prime too. Sometimes some rifle brass, depending.

Since I do the case prep for a couple of my coworkers, I often find myself working on a load of brass and.tbus the tooling is set up so I'll do some of my own as well

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Yes. I don’t have a good reason why, other than I’ll prep and prime 100 rounds. Then I’ll do load development, and when I decide on a load I’ll make the rest of that flavor. Then I’ll shoot the rest as a large batch test. If I still like the load then it’s game on.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Same here. Thousands of cases, bothe rifle and pistol, ready to load. There's no point in pre priming since I load on a Dillon 550

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depends. My process is all my used brass goes in heavy weight plastic 1.5qt or 4qt bags. Or 2 gallon buckets for 223 and 9mm where I just have tons.

Once I have a sizable enough amount I’ll tumble it. And store it. Pistol brass I do nothing. Decap during resizing and prime on my Lee classic. Rifle brass of course. I decap and size. Check OAL and toss in the “fine” pile or the needs trimming pile. My precision brass (all starline so easy to separate out in case I accidentally mix brass) I make sure to segregate and I trim everything at the same time. Or I plan to. I don’t have any starline that’s grown enough to need trimming. That way everything is roughly the same length rather than some stuff that’s grown past max, and some that’s now close to max. I keep rifle brass segregated by the number of firings it’s had. So it all should be in the same condition.

I don’t preprime rifle brass (well or pistol).

If I was single stage, yeah I’d probably go through all the steps except charging and seating. I could do that on my Lee APP very quick. Not as quick as doing all steps on my Lee classic turret press though.

Most stuff I don’t keep a ton of loaded ammo on hand. I mean, sure lots of factory ammo, except 44 mag and 357. Both of those I didn’t buy a gun in those calibers until I’d already been reloading. I’ve got no commercial 44 mag. I’ve got a single 25 round box of 125gr XTP American gunner in 357 just to test at some point. 9mm I’ve got maybe 500 rounds on hand. 45 about 300-400. Most other pistol is around 200 rounds. Rifle is 50-200. Some stuff I plan to load more to build a somewhat deeper stock. But I am happy if I’ve got at least two range trips. I am not going to shoot 200 rounds in my Garand…nor 800 in my Cz50. Lots of stuff doesn’t get to the range more than once or twice a year. The higher volume stuff like 9, 45 and 223 have a lot more loaded because of that. I don’t want to rely on the fact I shot 100 rounds of 9 at the range last trip. And I am shooting 100 on this trip and now I am out so, sure, I’ll load before I go to the range in a few weeks.

Something I shoot once or twice a year I know I can easily load for before I am out. And I always reload for whatever before I am out. I don’t like shooting factory ammo. I do still, but rarely. Mostly if someone else is shooting one of my guns, like my kids or a friend.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yes, I do keep a supply of brass prepped and ready but whether or not I prime depends on the round.

For pistol cartridges and select non-precision rifle rounds, I generally keep at least 1K of prepped brass ready to reload - with no primer. I load these on a Dillon 750, so primer, powder, bullet, and crimp are all done at once.

For precision or other rifle cartridges, I do things differently. I wash, dry, anneal, size, deprime, and trim every case. Give it another wash, dry, and then add primers to. I'll generally keep 100-400 brass of each caliber ready for powder and bullet. When the time comes, I measure powder and then seat bullets on a single stage. For these, yes I keep with primers in . I have enough confidence in my 750 where I simplify and do everything there with a manual powder charge, but I prefer the individual attention of seating on a single stage. :shrug:

Reloading is partly about finding a process that works for you, and then rinse and repeat. Cheers..

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I generally keep lots of brass sorted and ready to load, but do not pre-prime any of it. Brass is clean, sized, checked for length, before being stored.
    Using a Lee single stage press, priming cases can be done easily during the loading process, and takes only a few seconds per case.
    I could prime them during the sizing process, but then they could be stored for years before use with my system. I do not get to shoot as much as I would like these days.
    I also like to keep my hazmats stored together and primers store more easily when not in a primer pocket.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Brass prep = yes
    Brass Primed = no

Prepped brass all I need to do is prime (ole Lee Autoprime), then go
    from there. did find a cloth "cash bank bag" full of primed 38 / 357 brass
    gonna have to check to see if they go bang.

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom