• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have one already in like new condition in 12 Gauge. I came across this one today which came from an estate. Had to have it as looked unused .
    Model 385KB 20 Gauge bolt action. Yeah they had that funny looking Poly Choke.

image000005 (2).jpg
    image000004 (4).jpg
    image000003 (5).jpg
    image000002 (8).jpg
    image000001 (12).jpg
    image000000 (22).jpg

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Yep, my father has one. Its a pretty cool shotgun. The last time it was out was a few years ago when my son had it out squirrel hunting.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Absolutely. There was one at the HoCo show this past weekend, just like the one I took my first goose with. Popped a bunch of squirrels like Brian. My brother still owns it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    First store bought bought gun we ever had. 20 gauge. I still have it.
    Anyway, pay particular attention to the way the trigger-guard is attached to the bottom of the action.
    Theirs a machine screw with star lock washer on it. If that sucker comes loose on a closed bolt with loaded round, the slightest manipulation of the bolt knob will allow the sear to override the cocking piece. And I mean like dragging the bolt knob across your coat or tapping it with your finger.
    Closest I ever had to a serious hunting accident is when my oldest lad was carrying one behind me in Tuckahoe park.
    If he wasn't doing what he was supposed to do, he would have gotten me. They're made as cheap as a gun could be but, fun to shoot none the less.
    I wrote Mossberg about it and never heard anything back from them.
    Id rather hold a jack ass in the rain without a coat, than rely on that rear sight thing too. Its good for nothing as far as I could ever tell.
    I had another one around also, but I think it was a Western field or Noble or something and it was so loose when you fired it powder would burn outside the front bridge.
    I caught the kids shooting it and dismantled it but kept the mag.
    It had an acorn shaped bolt knob and no accu choke.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My first shotgun was one of those in 12 gauge, the Western Field version. My father bought it
    for my when I was 14 or 15 from Duffy's for $40. It was just like brand new. They had a nice double barrel 12 gauge there for about $100 but "we can't afford that"

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I inherited my grandfather’s bolt action Mossberg that looks identical, except mine’s a 12 gauge. Unfortunately, the magazine was lost years ago and I haven’t found a replacement. The choke is really cool - you just dial it to where you want it on the fly.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I have one already in like new condition in 12 Gauge. I came across this one today which came from an estate. Had to have it as looked unused .
    Model 385KB 20 Gauge bolt action. Yeah they had that funny looking Poly Choke.

View attachment 453080 View attachment 453081 View attachment 453082 View attachment 453083 View attachment 453084 View attachment 453085
    My dad had one like that in 12 ga, not sure when he got it, but it was a HUGE model, so much so that even in my teens it looked huge. But dad was a big guy, and it fit him. He used to hunt squirrel and rabbit with it back when we lived in IL (left there in 1957).

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Had one, forget exact model, but that looks about right. complete with the twist choke. And ?compensator slats? Right behind the choke. Coolest thing was that it spit fire when shooting at night.

traded hr topper 20 for it, straight up. worst mistake evah ! Victor, if you’re out there… never mind! It’s long gone!

The bracket / slide part on the back of the mag, that slides on to lock the mag in, cracked off and had it brazed once.

it was one of only 2 guns I ever got rid of. The other was the topper.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I had one in the '70s. Came with a fixed choke. I shortened the barrel, installed rifle sights and made a slug gun out of it. My hunting partner had one too, but with a PolyChoke like the OPs'.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That was my first shotgun I bought with my own money. I still have it. I don’t remember if I bought it from Kmart or Wards.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I had one exactly like the OP.
    I let my friend Dave (oldcarjunkie) talk me into trading it to him. I now miss both of them…

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yep.. Still got mine 20ga. "Joe The Motorist Friend" Sold Guns Long...
    Long...Long..ago, get your tires, oil changed, car parts and buy a gun..
    One stop shop n.. First shotgun.. then came more later.

_Rock

Last edited:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I had one exactly like the OP.
    I let my friend Dave (oldcarjunkie) talk me into trading it to him. I now miss both of them…
    I can't drive past that interchange of rt 100 and rt 170 without thinking about Dave. I guess they never found the sedan that cut him off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom